Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2011 SV. Looking at doing led turn signal lights. Trying to look ahead I see the flasher is part of the BCM. Will there be any hyper flashing issues? I had issues with my Bravada and never got around to changing the flasher before I bought my Juke.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
The ones i have in the gators required an external resistor to correct the resistance. I recently purchased sidemarkers from amazon (sequential led) and they appear to have the resistor already built-in.

The answer depends on the product that you are purchasing. Check the product notes for the product you are checking out for info if resistors are included/built-in or not.

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
I have some in the gators that do not require resistors for regular use. They use a lot of less efficient LED's which brings the current draw closer to stock (more efficiency would need a resistor, which basically counteracts the added efficiency to create heat). However, if you leave the flashers on for several minutes, they get hot, the resistance goes up, and they start to hyperflash.

I also have LED's in the side markers, which did not create hyperflash.

I have yet to find rear LED's that work well.

·
Super Moderator
1,975 Posts
one thing not mentioned yet, the flashing relay cannot be swapped out for a different or solid state relay like it can on some other mostly older cars. it's integral to the BCM and therefore not user replaceable. your options are as stated above either inefficient but higher resistance LED bulbs, or efficient LED bulbs with resistor in parallel, either built in or externally connected to the harness. or of course live with the hyper flash, but if the Juke is like my old Tiburon was, you lose cruise control and ABS function.

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
...your options are as stated above either inefficient but higher resistance LED bulbs, or efficient LED bulbs with resistor in parallel, either built in or externally connected to the harness...
Technically, you need lower resistance LED bulbs to allow more current through and let the flasher circuit work properly. A resistor in parallel reduces the overall resistance, allowing current through it in addition to the bulb. If the resistor was in series, it would increase overall resistance... Just in case someone is using a multimeter to measure resistance when trying to build something.

Reactions: squirtbrnr

·
Registered
859 Posts
I always (as an Electrician) fail to understand, for an automobile (unless it's an EV), why more "efficient" bulbs are required... the car will provide INFINATE power for any bulb (you don't save money because the alternator is doing less work). In fact, to me, filament bulbs were better (tail-lights mostly) as the heat would melt snow off of them so the were visible, LEDs do not produce enough heat to do that so when it's really snowy you can not see the person in front of you as they have 'efficient bulbs'.

·
Super Moderator
1,975 Posts
Technically, you need lower resistance LED bulbs to allow more current through and let the flasher circuit work properly.
You’re right. I got Ohm’s law backwards. At constant voltage, current and resistance are inversely proportional.

In fact, to me, filament bulbs were better (tail-lights mostly) as the heat would melt snow off of them so the were visible, LEDs do not produce enough heat to do that
And there is the argument many people make against LED traffic lights.

·
Registered
859 Posts
And there is the argument many people make against LED traffic lights.
Agreed, I believe they tried here at a couple of intersections then had to install heaters in them so they would melt snow buildup.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have some in the gators that do not require resistors for regular use. They use a lot of less efficient LED's which brings the current draw closer to stock (more efficiency would need a resistor, which basically counteracts the added efficiency to create heat). However, if you leave the flashers on for several minutes, they get hot, the resistance goes up, and they start to hyperflash.

I also have LED's in the side markers, which did not create hyperflash.

I have yet to find rear LED's that work well.
Out of interest, have you tried rear LED indicators with inbuilt resistors? I recently installed some of these in my tail lights and am getting intermittent hyperflash. I thought it might have been the bulbs defective but interesting reading this. I did my gator indicators to LED with inbuilt resistors about 6 months ago with no issue, so not sure if having 4 LEDs with inbuilt resistors would not be enough to prevent the hyperflash either?

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
As long as the resistance of each group in the circuit is correct, it shouldn't matter.

More likely, resistors tend to generate heat (literally all the power going to them has to turn into something, and the only output is heat) and as they heat up, their properties change. Better quality resistors have less problems. Same thing happens with the bulbs themselves. Might be the problem, might not.

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
Resistance tends to increase when circuits get hot, letting less current through them. Heavier resistors (larger, with heat sinks, etc.) take longer to get hot.

Hyperflash is intentional to the design of the flasher, as it lets the user know when a bulb is out (which increases the overall resistance, as no current goes through the failed bulb). You need to somehow make it look like you are using about the same amount of current as if you had regular bulbs in the circuit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks to you both for that helpful information, I think that explains the problem. I did cheap out a bit on the tail light LEDs (despite them still having resistors inbuilt) compared to when I bought the gator ones, so perhaps the new ones are just less quality meaning they heat up quicker. I think I can just solve this by buying some better more $$ bulbs. Thanks! Pic of my (mostly stock) Juke for repayment :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts