Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone running an LED headlight bulb?

Im thinking of swapping out my aftermarket HID for some LED.

Opinions and or recommendations?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,083 Posts
nope, nobody's ever done it. I bet if you did a search, this topic has never been discussed. Not once. nooooooope.

/sass

·
Registered
832 Posts
nope, nobody's ever done it. I bet if you did a search, this topic has never been discussed. Not once. nooooooope.

/sass
LED what?

·
Super Moderator
1,928 Posts
LEDs in a reflector bowl?

Oh you're one of THOSE cars on the road...

Just buy 13's projector retrofits already and stop wasting time and money on LEDs.

·
Premium Member
2,083 Posts
LEDs in a reflector bowl?

Oh you're one of THOSE cars on the road...

Just buy 13's projector retrofits already and stop wasting time and money on LEDs.
lmao
The Juke has officially become too affordable... it is getting purchased by THOSE people now...

·
Premium Member
2,083 Posts
I plan on putting these on my Nismo RS.
FLUXXXXXXXX BEAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMM aaahhhh snap over 4 billion luminosities !

now in fancy anodized red for ADDED HORSEPOWAH

with chrome plated fan excellence spouting cooling ergonomics factory design!

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
For the original poster, the reason everyone is making fun of the LED bulbs is that the dispersion pattern of the light is different than the stock halogen bulbs. As such, it does not work with the stock reflector housing, and you do not get the light where you want it (more than likely just blinding oncoming traffic and not on the road). Some are worse than others, but none of bulb replacements I am aware of meet DOT/SAE standards to make them fully street legal. However, there are a lot of misleading claims out there that might make you think otherwise.

There are LED headlights that are street legal, but the optics need to be designed around the dispersion of the LED's, rather than just replacing a halogen bulb.

·
Premium Member
2,083 Posts
You guys are so helpful. :)

I can only say the same thing on the same forum about 4 or 5 times before I just start getting sassy.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Ain’t that the truth........I put a set in and while they “look” bright as you said, in reality they suck. They literally don’t throw ANY extra light while in “high beam”. I can drive around with the HB’s on and no one cares...

·
Registered
166 Posts
Tell me these LED’s aren’t better.
7B929E41-D9C6-4F33-9B8F-A71BAF8501DD.jpg

·
Registered
166 Posts
Tell me these LED’s aren’t better. These are lowbeam SL1 from Diode Dynamics.

·
Premium Member
2,083 Posts
everything is true on the internet

·
Registered
599 Posts
While there has been some decent LED elements designed for automotive lighting, Lumileds (Philips) Luxeon Z ES LEDS for one, and several car makers are incorporating LED headlights, retro fitting them into a housing designed for Halogen incandescent bulbs is something else all together.

The reflectors in typical halogen housings are designed around the filament placement of the native bulb, 9004, 9007, H1, HB5, etc. within that housing to achieve the proper and legal beam pattern. To get the LEDS in this same exact placement is where the major problem lies. Some LED kits have attempted to address this with adjustable assembles. From what I've read in reviews of these this adjustable one size fits all approach is hit or miss for any particular make and module of car. Some do seem to produce a descent beam pattern and illumination in particular models and not in others. There is also the issue of thermal management of the LEDs which is a whole other subject in its own right.

This same issue holds true for HID retrofit kits which simply replace the halogen bulb with a HID XEON tube in its place in the stock reflector assembly. You just can't slap a HID tube in a housing designed for a halogen bulb and not irresponsibly create horrendously dangerous glare for on coming traffic. Do not do this. If you want the look and performance of HID lighting then get HID lighting done correctly the way 13r1an and other vendors do it with quality ellipsoid lens units having the proper cut off shields and properly mounted in the OEM housing.

Unless one is willing to do a proper retro fit like those done by 13r1an and others you're better off just going with some GE Night Hawk or Philips Xtreme Vision halogen bulbs. Keep in mind that performance halogens give up some life span to achieve the increased performance.

On the net you'll find there's a lot of misunderstanding and misinformation regarding automotive lighting and how the human eye and mind interpret that light. Here are two sites that have decent info and suggestions on automotive lighting.

Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply

CandlePowerForums

·
Registered
166 Posts
These SL1 Specifications

Measured Lumens: 1630 (per bulb)
Color Temp (CCT): 5700K
Power (watts): 20.2
Operating Voltage: 5-16V
Current (amps @ 13.2V): 1.58
Polarity: Polarity Specific
LED Emitter: Luxeon Z ES
Connector(s): OEM-Size Plug and Play
Driver Features: External, Waterproof, Constant Current
Materials: Copper PCB, PP-TD30 Base, Zinc Heatsink
Cooling: Active, Mag-Lev Microfan
Compliance Ratings: FMVSS108 Beam Pattern, SAE J575 Durability Test

Also, very important, street legal!

·
Super Moderator
1,928 Posts
These SL1 Specifications

Also, very important, street legal!
Street legal doesn't mean ****... Look for the DOT approval stamp and approval number. I bet you won't find it on any LED bulb. Headlight housings are DOT approved only for the equipment the OEM built/tested them with, i.e. halogen for the Juke.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Any updates on LED replacements? I want to upgrade mine as well but it appears “13’s” feeling the pandemic crunch because his website has exactly......uh.......one older Mercrap.....er Mercedes headlight and the website is under construction?

·
Super Moderator
1,928 Posts
no LED replacements unless you have the proper retrofit projector lenses (the Juke does not have the correct lens type, especially a 2011-2014 Juke).

Send 13 a PM or if he does email, try that. He's on the forums every once and a while and can let you know specifics.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts