Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my Juke on thursday and one of the first things I tried was using a USB drive for music. Works great, and it even remembers where it was the last time I plugged in. I'm wondering though if leaving the drive in the USB port will drain the battery? I noticed the light on the drive wouldn't go out for the 3-4 minutes I was willing to wait in the car with the ignition off.

I'm sure if it didn't cut power to the USB port it would take a long time to drain but I'm just afraid I'll kill the battery if I leave the USB connected and never use the car over a weekend or something. . .

·
Registered
43 Posts
I've left mine connected for more than a week now. I've not noticed any problems whatsoever.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just got my Juke on thursday and one of the first things I tried was using a USB drive for music. Works great, and it even remembers where it was the last time I plugged in. I'm wondering though if leaving the drive in the USB port will drain the battery? I noticed the light on the drive wouldn't go out for the 3-4 minutes I was willing to wait in the car with the ignition off.

I'm sure if it didn't cut power to the USB port it would take a long time to drain but I'm just afraid I'll kill the battery if I leave the USB connected and never use the car over a weekend or something. . .
always leave my ipod attached, never had an issue...

·
Registered
22 Posts
It would take over a year to drain a batter from a usb stick. I would be more worried about what else is turn on in the radio that draws power than the usb port itself. But this doesn't seem to be the case. The usb port power seems to shutoff after a few min.

·
Premium Member
5,105 Posts
The source voltage is switched anyways and doesn't get supplied to the USB until after the ignition is switched on and with a tiny current draw of only about 0.1 amps, your battery would die of old age before even coming close to be drained from a USB drive...

·
Premium Member
1,224 Posts
My concern would be some idiot smashes your window just to get the USB drive so I never leave mine in - I unplug it (after turning the engine off so it remembers where it last was playing) and put it in my glovebox.

·
Premium Member
5,105 Posts
My concern would be some idiot smashes your window just to get the USB drive so I never leave mine in - I unplug it (after turning the engine off so it remembers where it last was playing) and put it in my glovebox.
really?..smash a window for a cheap $10 USB?? Get a black mini flash drive like the one I have..you'd never see it!!

·
Premium Member
1,224 Posts
really?..smash a window for a cheap $10 USB?? Get a black mini flash drive like the one I have..you'd never see it!!
Unfortunately in a city where drugs and homelessness is a reality this is an everyday occurrence. I still don't understand how people leave laptops, mp3 players, ipods, etc in plain view since it's an easy mark to 'smash and grab' which they'll do and most of the time it's to get money for drugs.

·
Premium Member
5,105 Posts
Unfortunately in a city where drugs and homelessness is a reality this is an everyday occurrence. I still don't understand how people leave laptops, mp3 players, ipods, etc in plain view since it's an easy mark to 'smash and grab' which they'll do and most of the time it's to get money for drugs.
very good point..quess it doesn't take much reason to break into a car in the city does it! :eek:

·
Premium Member
1,224 Posts
very good point..quess it doesn't take much reason to break into a car in the city does it! :eek:
It happens too often where I live which is why there's nothing in my car but a newspaper and everything else is out of sight!

·
Registered
401 Posts
Well if you use one of those micro usb drives, the light would probably just look like an alarm indicator. ;)

·
Premium Member
5,105 Posts
Well if you use one of those micro usb drives, the light would probably just look like an alarm indicator. ;)
huh? what light? I don't have a lamp on my mini usb...and there is no voltage supplied to it after you turn your engine off..so I don't see how's that possible to illuminate any usb lamps?

·
Registered
3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
My Acura TSX battery was drained by having a USB plugged in for only a few days of cold weather. It took a while to figure out what the problem was.

·
Registered
3 Posts
huh? what light? I don't have a lamp on my mini usb...and there is no voltage supplied to it after you turn your engine off..so I don't see how's that possible to illuminate any usb lamps?
That's what I thought when I left my USB plugged into my Acura TSX port. I learned the hard way it was draining battery while off.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts