Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay guys, so I'm from the Caribbean island of Grenada.
We have an old airport turned into a drag strip that we go to every Sunday.

I'm trying to figure out what would be the best setting to launch the Juke in 2wh/AWD/AWD vectoring?

I realize that Juke has a limiter which keeps the revs down to about 3000rpm, is the only way around that a tune?

Also what should my first few mods be?

Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
2,367 Posts
I think (and this is my untested theory) you get the most power output to the wheels in 2WD mode but the highest possibility for wheel spin. You can turn traction control off and that may prevent the engine from limiting power when it detects wheel slip. You can load the torque converter like in a regular automatic transmission, but it may not be a good idea on a CVT. Yes there’s the rubber band effect or spool up time, but it might be better to just mash the throttle into wide open rather than loading the torque converter.

Others with drag strip and race experience will have a better answer. Really you just have to play around with it yourself and try something different on each run.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So it's best to just go from 0 rpm and sink my foot into the gas?
Sometimes when I launch with the high revs I just feel the car die down a bit then all the power comes in.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Okay guys, so I'm from the Caribbean island of Grenada.
We have an old airport turned into a drag strip that we go to every Sunday.

I'm trying to figure out what would be the best setting to launch the Juke in 2wh/AWD/AWD vectoring?

I realize that Juke has a limiter which keeps the revs down to about 3000rpm, is the only way around that a tune?

Also what should my first few mods be?

Thanks in advance.
Fastest 0-60 on a CVT is to put the car in manual mode and let it shift itself. AWD-V + Traction Control off. Hold down the brake and gas, the car will hold revs to about 3200-ish rpm. Let go of brake and let it do its thing. I should also note that doing this is not recommended considering the transmission has a tendency to nuke itself on completely stock jukes with normal driving habits.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fastest 0-60 on a CVT is to put the car in manual mode and let it shift itself. AWD-V + Traction Control off. Hold down the brake and gas, the car will hold revs to about 3200-ish rpm. Let go of brake and let it do its thing. I should also note that doing this is not recommended considering the transmission has a tendency to nuke itself on completely stock jukes with normal driving habits.
Ok so, I've heard someone mention putting it in manual mode before and letting the car shift itself how????
My experience with putting it in manual mode it that it doesn't shift on its own. It will redline.....

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Tune would help.

Mentioned already, but brake torque, bring the revs up to +3000 or so, then step off the brake pedal and go. Do not stay on the brake pedal for more than 2-3 seconds. The auto upshift helps because sometimes you can get a double upshift using the manual shift if you don't shift early enough.

If you are going to do this, please get a transmission cooler and NEVER launch more than (1) time without cooling down between runs. The heat will destroy the torque converter and clutches.

I've done maybe 20-30 launches, maybe (1) was worth remembering. It's not worth destroying the transmission. I usually roll off the line from idle and then go WOT after that, much safer.

·
Registered
147 Posts
other than commuting, I launch my juke every time I drive it.
Awd-v traction control off (sport mode obviously) but don't preload the transmission. It's a cvt, not an automatic. I find I get a better launch with just mashing the gas

I've had a lot of kills off a stoplight I didn't expect because of the awd-cvt combo.

With that said, ive never launched on a prepped surface. I can't see that going well though lol.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I have mixed opinions on how to launch it. I was once told it was best to put it in sport mode, power brake it, let off the brake, floor it and then put it back in normal mode before it shifts out of "1st". I thought it was harder to do then it was worth. I tried leaving it in normal, power braking and going to be the most consistant. But I think the fastest launch for me was to leave at idle, give it 1/4 throttle, wait for boost to hit and then floor it while in normal mode.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Give me a few weeks, i am going to take a stock turbo cvt to the drag strip and test a dozen different ways to launch and see what gives the best 60ft

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
720 Posts
I mean I've tested this multiple times untuned and tuned. Like I said. Manual mode, let it auto shift in AWD-V with traction control off.

Stock was around 6.7 seconds to 60

Reactions: Macgyver

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
I usually leave the VDC activated but it's been such a long time since I launched that I can't recall.
The main problem is that if you DO have the slightest of wheelspin, the ECM will start cutting power aggressively. The VDC will actually help you by keeping the car on the edge of traction. The AWD have an open front differential and usually it shouldn't slip off the line, but if it does then it could be a problem with the VDC turned off.

On the street what I've done is bumped the idle rpm to about 900-1000 rpm via CVTz50 and this eliminates the bog on idle rollouts, which maintains momentum in 1st gear until 12-18 mph before the torque converter fully lockups. I usually get a slight delay after a launch right between that 12-18 mph that really slows the momentum, after that the CVT is a little rocket.

The Gen2 CVT lockup the torque converter almost immediately off the line. I haven't driven one, but they might be a candidate for a better launching platform.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So my fastest launch so far came from, 3000rpm, 2wd, traction off got wheel spin no lock up full launch, 2nd fastest was full awd no Torque V, no wheel spin.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts