Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
K&N does not yet list a filter for the Juke. However, the Juke uses the same filter as the Versa and Cube.

Huzzah! K&N no. 33-2375 !!!

Off to the parts store to pick up some (nearly) free ponies!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Be careful

We had an Xterra, or a Pathfinder, get the thin film air sensor OVER oiled, from having a K&N put in it.It got about 200 miles and quit.
I think I might wait a bit, to see if the intake is the same type, before doing a K&N. Nissan denied the tow bill and claim because it was not an OEM filter.

·
Super Moderator
6,376 Posts
Part interchange is good to know. (Thanks for that info)

Be very careful when using a K&N or similar, especially when re-oiling it.
Like mafnissan said, if you over oil it, it will wreak havoc on the MAF sensor as well as gunking up the throttle body.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How did you find this out? Do you think there are any other interchangeable parts (CAI?)
I'm sure all of the filters are interchangeable with other models. Also, some or all the brakes and suspension parts are probably interchangeable with other Nissans. Rockauto.com and CSKauto.com (checker/o'riley/kragen) list the Juke as having the same filter as the Versa and Cube.

We had an Xterra, or a Pathfinder, get the thin film air sensor OVER oiled, from having a K&N put in it.It got about 200 miles and quit.
I think I might wait a bit, to see if the intake is the same type, before doing a K&N. Nissan denied the tow bill and claim because it was not an OEM filter.
The air sensor (that is, Mass Airflow Sensor) consists of a thin wire that should have not have ANY oil on it. What you were told is that your K&N was OVER OILED, causing filter oil to get on the MAF and throw it off. This is a common problem with K&N's that are not properly recharged (re-oiled).

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BTW, the aforementioned filter oil issue pertains only to reusable filters that have been improperly re-oiled. I don't want to discourage anyone from getting one. You won't have this issue with a new K&N right out of the box. Also, if you do over do it and get oil on the MAF, all you have to do is remove the MAF, hose it down with MAF cleaner and reinstall, which can be done in 5-10 minutes with only a screw driver.

·
Registered
6 Posts
a KN filter isn't going to improve HP on a turboed car unless you crank up the boost. The turbo is sucking the air in not the engine. The ECU is programed to push a certain amount of PSI with the turbo in to the engine. You might see a small improvment in spool up if anything. You might be able to hear the turbo spool up better now.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
a KN filter isn't going to improve HP on a turboed car unless you crank up the boost. The turbo is sucking the air in not the engine. The ECU is programed to push a certain amount of PSI with the turbo in to the engine. You might see a small improvment in spool up if anything. You might be able to hear the turbo spool up better now.
Yes and no. You're right about the K&N probably gaining no TOP hp but allowing the turbo to spool up a little quicker due to a slightly freer flowing engine, thus augmenting the powerband--you're right about that.

However, the ECU does not determine the amount of boost. It may be programmed to put the car in "limp mode" if a certain range of boost is exceeded, but boost is regulated by the wastegate and bypass valve/blow-off valve.

So, it's easier to say "more ponies," than to say, "allows the engine to breathe easier, causing the turbo to spool up earlier, thus allowing for a modicum of additional horsepower at a lower RPM."

·
Registered
12 Posts
Not true. Intakes have been dyno proven time and time again to gain power on both forced inducted and naturally aspirated engines.

Though on a turbo car, a good free flowing exhaust system is where you will see more of a power gain.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Great find on the intake filter.

Is the juke ecu 'limp' mode boost pressure reffrenced, or is it afm voltage reffrence (total intake air volume) like most nissan 'limp mode'/'boost cut'?

Cheers

Justin

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Great find on the intake filter.

Is the juke ecu 'limp' mode boost pressure reffrenced, or is it afm voltage reffrence (total intake air volume) like most nissan 'limp mode'/'boost cut'?

Cheers

Justin
I was merely speculating to prove a point, but if it is so programmed, I would assume it's based on air mass/volume like you suggest.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes and no. You're right about the K&N probably gaining no TOP hp but allowing the turbo to spool up a little quicker due to a slightly freer flowing engine, thus augmenting the powerband--you're right about that.

However, the ECU does not determine the amount of boost. It may be programmed to put the car in "limp mode" if a certain range of boost is exceeded, but boost is regulated by the wastegate and bypass valve/blow-off valve.

So, it's easier to say "more ponies," than to say, "allows the engine to breathe easier, causing the turbo to spool up earlier, thus allowing for a modicum of additional horsepower at a lower RPM."
Quit spreading misinformation and do some research before you comment (like how i tossed that back at ya). Saying the ECU doesn't control the boost is like saying my brain doesn't control what i type because my hand is doing the work. The ECU controls the drive by wire, fuel, and other stuff that controls how much boost you end up with at the end. yes there are mechanical ways to modify that but we are talking about a stock Juke... When u mash the pedal the throttle doesn't just fully open, and the injectors dont just dump as much fuels as they can, the ECU does it however nissan tuned it to. by controlling the fuel and throttle it controls the boost ( yes i know the WG is what lets the exhaust pass lowering the PSI). If you mash the gas and the ECU for whatever reason only opens the throttle 1/4 of the way and only puts 1/4 of the fuel do you think you would reach peak boost? That sorta is what limp mode does it cuts fuel and throttle and keeps the car out of boost... guess what thats the ECU.

I drive a WRX, i can flash my ECU and go from 15 PSI to 18 (stock)... No mechanical boost controller. This goes for (MS3, SS cobalts, EVOs, GTR Skyline...). A simple tune is usally called a Stage 1 mod. the important thing is people who plan on modifying or upping their boost need to understand that appling mods that mechanacly increase boost without the ECU know it will cause the car to run lean which is very bad. The ECU must be tuned... in other words told there is more air in the engine so it needs to dump more fuel.

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
I think I have to go with wrxjns, I know turboed engines are or have to listen more to specific tuning then a NA engine. To much of something will or can kill then engine with turbo's.
And also the juke comes with the icon system thing that controles the boost or fuel or what ever. Haven;t done the research yet, but you can definitly feel diffrence in boost switch between the three driving modes

So for me I still be waiting with al the mods on the engine, just because it's pretty new and factory warranty

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The ECU does not determine the amount of boost.

To use your brain analogy, saying that the ECU controls boost is like saying my brain controls how much energy I have because it's telling my stomach to digest the food I just ate. In a very roundabout way there's a shred of truth to the statement, but it's far from an accurate account of the processes involved.

Yes, you can squeak out a few psi through ECU tuning by altering the fuel map, ignition timing, etc. governed by the ECU and ECU tuning is very important. But saying that the ECU CONTROLS, determines, or regulates boost is inaccurate.

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
The ECU does not determine the amount of boost.

To use your brain analogy, saying that the ECU controls boost is like saying my brain controls how much energy I have because it's telling my stomach to digest the food I just ate. In a very roundabout way there's a shred of truth to the statement, but it's far from an accurate account of the processes involved.

Yes, you can squeak out a few psi through ECU tuning by altering the fuel map, ignition timing, etc. governed by the ECU and ECU tuning is very important. But saying that the ECU CONTROLS, determines, or regulates boost is inaccurate.
true!
well through ecu tuning or better now OBD tuning nowadays there are VW/Audi's that can get say around 50-70 bHp or more,

so I think tuning the juke, the ecu is prob, one of the most important things to have done.

what most people forget is with a turbo engine it is easy to gain bHp, but gain bHP and keep a turbo engine running without getting in trouble or killing it, is one of the most difficult things

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
well orded a K&N just like in the startpost.
the 33-2375 and it does NOT fit.

its like way to small.

so that's a pitty.

maybe the us specs are diffrent, but this on does not fitt at all

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Blarg, you're right!

Rockauto.com and CSK (the sources I originally used to cross-reference part #'s) have since changed their airfilter part #'s for the Juke. NOW, they're saying that the Juke uses the same filter as Nissan's QR25DE equipped vehicles (Sentra SE-R, Rouge).

So, the magic number should be 33-2409 (though, K&N still doesn't list one for the Juke).

I'm gonna seek one of these out in the near future to confirm or deny.

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
Blarg, you're right!

Rockauto.com and CSK (the sources I originally used to cross-reference part #'s) have since changed their airfilter part #'s for the Juke. NOW, they're saying that the Juke uses the same filter as Nissan's QR25DE equipped vehicles (Sentra SE-R, Rouge).

So, the magic number should be 33-2409 (though, K&N still doesn't list one for the Juke).

I'm gonna seek one of these out in the near future to confirm or deny.

Hope you can soon, cos now I am stcuk with 2 filters :D

so Qr25de, I'll ask a friend of mine, but prob the Mr20de should also fit then.

Gonna look today under the hood of a xtrail with the Mr20de engine

1 - 20 of 79 Posts