Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello, I wanted to just inform you guys that my 2014 Nissan juke Nismo rs 6mt just blew the oil pump and timing chain tensioner. they are currently sitting on the interstate and the other half next to my left typing hand. always maintained, religious services on the transmission and always premium fuel. no warning signs and now im down one Nissan. ugh...….

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
That sucks! I hope help is on the way.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Hmm......that sucks. I've been thru (1) timing chain recall. The RS supposedly have a better oil pump than standard. I'm trying to see how an oil pump "blows". Maybe the tensioner failed or the timing chain wore out and "stretched". All depends on the mileage and oil quality. I wouldn't trust these timing chains and tensioners for more than 60k miles. Good luck.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm......that sucks. I've been thru (1) timing chain recall. The RS supposedly have a better oil pump than standard. I'm trying to see how an oil pump "blows". Maybe the tensioner failed or the timing chain wore out and "stretched". All depends on the mileage and oil quality. I wouldn't trust these timing chains and tensioners for more than 60k miles. Good luck.
yeah it was a guide then the tensioner, going 75mph and 500 miles on oil. (work at a shop and replace everything consistently

·
Super Moderator
9,957 Posts
Oh now that sucks.

Keep us posted if you get it all back to normal.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Sorry to hear that, may I ask how many miles at the moment?

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Judging from where you’re from, maybe an alien got into your car! :alien:

·
Registered
551 Posts
Are you serious man? Really sad to hear about this....

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Pump body broke apart. Tensioner must have failed and caused some chain whip.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Not totally sure on the recall for +2014 owners. Mine was done about 2014

Was that chain an original with 95,000 miles? If so, then probably explains the failure. I don't trust the chains past 100,000 miles.
Looking at the pump it saw some serious harmonics to crack the pump body.

Rebuild time.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not totally sure on the recall for +2014 owners. Mine was done about 2014

Was that chain an original with 95,000 miles? If so, then probably explains the failure. I don't trust the chains past 100,000 miles.
Looking at the pump it saw some serious harmonics to crack the pump body.

Rebuild time.
ORIGINAL chain, now I'm tracking down engines with all my professional sources but no one has one. the only option I've found is Nissan themselves for 5400 just a long black. (obvious block damage since I have a piece of it next to me). do you maybe know of a place that might have one?

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
OK, that makes some sense. I thought the timing chains were supposed to be good for 120,000 miles but apparently not.

I don't have a source for a used one. I've seen some for sale previously from the salvage yards but I haven't looked in awhile. I'm just NOT a fan of salvage engines or transmissions unless you are dumping the vehicle on a trade or something. It's tough to beat a factory fresh engine if you are looking for maximum reliability. Because all the components are seeing cycle fatigue, it's just better to start with new parts. The timing chain aside, these engines are reliable, I know mine took a heavy beating and I'm rebuilding it because it was pulled for a transmission rebuild.

The $5400 price isn't too terrible, that sounds about the cheapest price I've seen.

·
Super Moderator
9,957 Posts
Just an option.

As been discussed before in the forums. There is not much difference between a RS and regular Juke. Rod bearings and the oil pump and thats about it ? I think.

Any Gen 1 Juke motor will bolt up to the 6 speed ?

There is a 2014 in in Spokane Washington at with 37k miles so they say. $1700. No sure about shipping.

Whitey’s Wrecking, Inc.
Toll Free: 800.735.2376 Local: 509.489.3850
4330 E Francis Ave. Spokane, Washington 99217

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OK, that makes some sense. I thought the timing chains were supposed to be good for 120,000 miles but apparently not.

I don't have a source for a used one. I've seen some for sale previously from the salvage yards but I haven't looked in awhile. I'm just NOT a fan of salvage engines or transmissions unless you are dumping the vehicle on a trade or something. It's tough to beat a factory fresh engine if you are looking for maximum reliability. Because all the components are seeing cycle fatigue, it's just better to start with new parts. The timing chain aside, these engines are reliable, I know mine took a heavy beating and I'm rebuilding it because it was pulled for a transmission rebuild.

The $5400 price isn't too terrible, that sounds about the cheapest price I've seen.
yeah looking at those options as well, here at our shop after we installed 4 transmissions used from lkq in only one car we knew used was no longer the way to go

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just an option.

As been discussed before in the forums. There is not much difference between a RS and regular Juke. Rod bearings and the oil pump and thats about it ? I think.

Any Gen 1 Juke motor will bolt up to the 6 speed ?

There is a 2014 in in Spokane Washington at with 37k miles so they say. $1700. No sure about shipping.

Whitey’s Wrecking, Inc.
Toll Free: 800.735.2376 Local: 509.489.3850
4330 E Francis Ave. Spokane, Washington 99217
found on in Denver from a 2013 Nismo rs 95000 miles but always thinking about this happening sooner due to miles. 1000 bucks is a cheap and super reasonable gamble

1 - 20 of 38 Posts