Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, my Nissan Juke was making a slight noise when I hit the accelerator. I took it in and was told the oil level was low. They did not find a leak, so filled it up. About 6 weeks later, I noticed sometimes I smell burned rubber, so I took car in and was told same thing: Oil level low, but no leak seen.
I hear a dripping noise after I turn the engine off, but only after it has been driven. It is coming from the driver's side area under the hood.
Any thoughts? Thanks

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Good news is that the driver's side of the engine compartment doesn't actually have much engine. It's all battery and intake and some other bits, but typically leaks would be around the passenger side of the engine, turbo on the back left, timing & crank, etc. on left side of block.

You would probably not hear oil dripping. First off, it's viscosity would probably not allow for a distinct "ping" of a droplet. Second, if it was dripping that hard, it would be losing a lot. More likely you are hearing the ping of components cooling? (Especially exhaust or heat shields which are especially thin and tinny-sounding.) Or perhaps A/C condensation? Just gotta find where it's leaking, look for dark and wet. (Hold the jokes in fellas.)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good news is that the driver's side of the engine compartment doesn't actually have much engine. It's all battery and intake and some other bits, but typically leaks would be around the passenger side of the engine, turbo on the back left, timing & crank, etc. on left side of block.

You would probably not hear oil dripping. First off, it's viscosity would probably not allow for a distinct "ping" of a droplet. Second, if it was dripping that hard, it would be losing a lot. More likely you are hearing the ping of components cooling? (Especially exhaust or heat shields which are especially thin and tinny-sounding.) Or perhaps A/C condensation? Just gotta find where it's leaking, look for dark and wet. (Hold the jokes in fellas.)
Thanks for your insights. Makes sense about the viscosity. I was hoping the drip was the leakage, because otherwise there's no explanation for the low oil level; the shop is not finding a leakage elsewhere.

·
Administrator
12,032 Posts
Most likely the turbo oil seal is worn and that is the cause of the oil consumption. It does not mean your Juke is broke. Just keep the oil topped off.

Eventually you will need to fix the cause of the low oil over time.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have a similar issue with a 2012. Consensus around here when I brought it up was the turbo is causing the oil consumption. Nothing at start up, nothing during regular acceleration however when the accelerator is floored and the boost kicks in a smoke comes out the back. Turbos aren't that expensive. It's the task of getting it removed and replaced that I would do myself but haven't been able to motivate and do it versus adding oil every 1500 miles.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, my Nissan Juke was making a slight noise when I hit the accelerator. I took it in and was told the oil level was low. They did not find a leak, so filled it up. About 6 weeks later, I noticed sometimes I smell burned rubber, so I took car in and was told same thing: Oil level low, but no leak seen.
I hear a dripping noise after I turn the engine off, but only after it has been driven. It is coming from the driver's side area under the hood.
Any thoughts? Thanks
If your Juke is a 2015 1.2 model then it may have issues known to Nissan. Some 1.2 engines burn more oil than normal due to incorrect placement of the piston rings when the engine was built. Lack of oil leads to damage being done to the timing chain and ultimately could result in your vehicle needing a completely new engine - something we found out to our cost. Nissan were aware of this issue and ran a 5 year campaign to deal with any issues which arose during the first five years - our car was not quite 6 years when it needed a total engine replacement.
The drip might just be from the air conditioning system. Ours always dripped for a few minutes after the car had been driven.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts