Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok crowd what's your long-term prognosis for an F15 with DDTMR16?

Think it will last 20 years Civic/Corolla style?

I'm focusing on durability of CVT, timing belt/chain, turbo and electronic AWD components.

A FWD 6-sp manual could make the case if babied. I could see that. Maybe a pricey turbo repair on the way.

What do you think brighter & more knowledge than me?

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
No, I don't see 20 years. The Juke is a disposable appliance, it's a Nissan which isn't working in it's favor. It's designed as cheap to manufacture and a low price point. Get a Toyota Camry with a big V6, then yes you will be seeing 20 years easily with good maintenance. Having said that, if you buy the car with realistic expectations I don't see why it won't last 10-12 years/120,000 miles if driven and maintained correctly.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just a bit of my own experience. I own a 2014 FWD/CVT which was “certified” 😂😂. At 92,000 miles I just had the turbo replaced because of the oil feed line (which should be a recall) and the CVT replaced. Mind you I always took very good care of it and luckily I paid for extended warranty which saved me a repair cost for the above at over $5,000. Nissan is no longer the company it once was, just like Honda etc. some of the best cars you see for drifting are old Datsun/Nissan vehicles. Days of the awesome JDM are gone. If it wasn’t for Mr. Gohn (Renault) I don’t know how much longer Nissan would have existed. Unfortunately their attempt at cutting cost’s has led to disastrous problems. With their billions in the hole, it was necessary. Sadly I will not be buying another Nissan.

·
Registered
35 Posts
if there's will there is way.
even a 20 years civic corolla will face wear and tear issue, im a sentra b14 owner previously before my juke. same categories, same era as those 20y++ civic corolla.

i got my b14 from used car dealer, its 15 y'o when reached my hand. been go thru several repairs including auto gb replacement, bushing, aftermarket enhancing parts, suspension & so on. the only thing i yet to touch deeply is the ga16 engine. only changed valve cover gasket.
until d day i lost it due to accident, the car was in pretty well conditions without even tiny noise or problems. even the body paint without any scratches or dent, shine like a new car. and just no long after celebrate its 21 y'o....

its not regarding how durable the car is, its about how much cost and time u willing to spend on the car. every car will facing wear&tear no matter from which brand, and every car got its own issue no matter from which era.

if u're not willing to prolong it, even a tiny problem can "kill" the lifespan of it. if u willing to die for it, it can be vintage classic one day.

·
Super Moderator
10,139 Posts
It depends where you live. If you are exposed to road salt. Not a chance.

If you are not then you can make any car last 20 years. $$$

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Road salt is certainly a killer. I'll say though that the Nissan steel used in the Juke unibody is fairly rust resistant, I've seen very rust little in 6 year's worth of winters in Chicago.

The Juke 1.6 turbo engine, yes if driven correctly and maintained religiously I believe could make 200,000 miles. I saw very little to any engine wear in 80k miles on my modified Juke, compression almost perfect though the intake/exhaust valve deposits were causing a smidge of compression loss, though minor.

I'd say that the cylinder head would have to be reconditioned/rebuilt though as the carbon build up would eventually take out a valve or something, probably every 100k miles for a rebuilt being mandatory. The timing chain would need to be replaced every 80-100k miles along with the water pump, oil pump too if an owner was smart. The turbo would maybe be good only if you used full synthetic engine oil and changed it religiously, cooled down after long drives, etc. The CVT transmission I don't see beyond 120-150k miles no matter how you drive or maintain it. I've heard of Nissan CVT owners getting 120,000 miles, but they clearly are babying them to get there.

I mean, there are ways to specifically target high maintenance items and proactively replace them so you can schedule vehicle downtime. But to just drive it 200k miles and hope for the best......nope. My girlfriends 2009 Honda Pilot just rolled past 310,000 miles. No idea how but she drives it like a rally driver. She only ever does oil changes.......that's about it. Totally different vehicle, totally different results. The Juke is an economy car built to get the job done, but not much more. The Honda was overbuilt IMHO and thus it shows in vehicle durability. I think there is enough statistical data to conclude how long a Juke typically lives.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I'm just over 100k with zero issues. Have only done oil, brakes, and 60k maintenance so far. I don't expect any sudden reversal of fortunes before 200k. The clutch may wear out before then, no idea what to expect there.

Perhaps as important, the interior is holding up really well. I have an SV trim and the fabric is in perfect condition. A couple scuffs on the dash but that's about it. Nobody wants to drop money into a car with 100k miles and a worn out interior.

·
Super Moderator
10,139 Posts
I wish we could pull numbers up from the forum on Failed engines, trans, parts for North America. We know how many Jukes were sold. We just dont know the actual failure rates. Just people that post here.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm just over 100k with zero issues. Have only done oil, brakes, and 60k maintenance so far. I don't expect any sudden reversal of fortunes before 200k. The clutch may wear out before then, no idea what to expect there.

Perhaps as important, the interior is holding up really well. I have an SV trim and the fabric is in perfect condition. A couple scuffs on the dash but that's about it. Nobody wants to drop money into a car with 100k miles and a worn out interior.
how bout driver seat tight support area? mine already worn out with creases😭
other than this everything looks like new...

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
My interior is also looking great. Everything is good.......until it isn't. The main stumbling block to 200k is the timing chain, turbo, intake/exhaust valve carbon buildup, CVT. If you've never taken the motor apart, you have no idea what's really going on. And even then, it's near impossible to tell if something is about to fail from visual inspection. This is why when I rebuilt my motor, I took any component that was highly stressed......and threw it away. Only the block/head castings or low stress parts were reused along with the crankshaft which is bulletproof. The CVT transmission, they are dying from the day you buy the vehicle, AWD makes the problem even worse. A manual trans car can't be compared to it.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I have 250,000+ kms on my 2011 Juke. I drive it 100 kms every day through snow, ice, rain. I have no issues. The inside still looks like new, but I take care of the leather so it doesn't dry out and crack. Plus my butt is not that heavy where it would leave permanent creases! LOL

·
Super Moderator
10,139 Posts
how bout driver seat tight support area? mine already worn out with creases😭
other than this everything looks like new...
Seat covers are cheap

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No, I don't see 20 years. The Juke is a disposable appliance, it's a Nissan which isn't working in it's favor. It's designed as cheap to manufacture and a low price point. Get a Toyota Camry with a big V6, then yes you will be seeing 20 years easily with good maintenance. Having said that, if you buy the car with realistic expectations I don't see why it won't last 10-12 years/120,000 miles if driven and maintained correctly.
Thanks.. apparently and surprisingly its the four cylinder Camry engine that's more durable. The 6 has a complicated timing belt/chain replacement. I remember the same was true of the old BMC AD017 and Volvo 140/164 series. Strange that you'd think the larger motor would last longer. But it isn't always the case.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It depends where you live. If you are exposed to road salt. Not a chance.

If you are not then you can make any car last 20 years. $$$
Up here in Canada there are plenty of cars 20 years plus that have survived snow & ice. There is always a chance lol..

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Yeah, but that is an N/A 4 cylinder. Turbo 4 are definitely a different animal. They run hot, burn out electronics faster, break transmissions more often, and so on. They cannot be directly compared to an N/A 4 cylinder regarding longevity. I like turbo 4 cars, but they ain't the most reliable. Timing chain complexity, not sure that is a factor though. At the point you need one, it's nearly the same labor to access a transverse motor whether it's a 4 or 6.

So, a turbo 4 and a CVT are definitely not the most reliable match......in fact probably the most unreliable match if you think about it. We've had a V6 Camry, V6 Avalon, I6 Turbo Supra. All dead reliable, all high mileage with zero engine/transmission issues. Bordering on the boring. They would hit 200k like it's nothing.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Agreed on Juke turbo & CVT. And many thanks for your input.

Camry 4 isn't turbocharged. Camry V6 has a serpentine belt which is a far more complex setup and takes much longer to work on. There are other issues too. Its the nicer engine but it doesn't last as long as the 4.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts