Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I guess some dude is/was modifying the front lights or something, but with the front fascia mostly off, a red flag popped up as being a potential buyer.

Just look at the black strip of plastic. Is that is going to protect me in a frontal collision?

I think I will first have to see about crash tests, otherwise, I will have to look at something else. Kia Sportage? Mitsubishi Outlander Sport? I don't know. VW???
:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

I'm disappointed!

Attachments

·
Registered
73 Posts
I think there's no way that they would expect that to protect you. They probably have another reinforcement bar somewhere there. Plus they have strict bumper regulations for US and Canada.

·
Registered
92 Posts
That is a little frightening, I have read the front will be made differently well stronger for the north american market.
there are very strict bumper regulations for all the main car markets. im willing to bet money that, that either isnt plastic but metal that looks like plastic or theres another piece that is meant to take the majority of the force of a front end collision.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Woody it appears to me that there are 3 bars(red) that sit directly behind that plastic that you were talking about. I think these would be the real protection for a frontal crash.

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
come on peeps, how can you judge a cars safety from what you see behind the bumper. Do you really think Nissan put a car on the market that will not be safe?

spending all the money and put a car already a few month on the market in Japan?

introducing a car in Europe that has one of the famous ADAC crash testings?

It's problably the way you want to think, mine first thoughts were, this gotta be a safe car, cos it does not need a huge big metal bar for a safty during a crash.

And for what I know the plastic looking thing is gonna safe nobody, US regluation has something like we have to put some plastic or something else behind the bumper (I know from my previous car) and that part is missing on the european models.
Does it make it less safe then?

So for me this is totally not a reason to doubt to buy or not to buy

·
Registered
131 Posts
come on peeps, how can you judge a cars safety from what you see behind the bumper. Do you really think Nissan put a car on the market that will not be safe?

spending all the money and put a car already a few month on the market in Japan?

introducing a car in Europe that has one of the famous ADAC crash testings?

It's problably the way you want to think, mine first thoughts were, this gotta be a safe car, cos it does not need a huge big metal bar for a safty during a crash.

And for what I know the plastic looking thing is gonna safe nobody, US regluation has something like we have to put some plastic or something else behind the bumper (I know from my previous car) and that part is missing on the european models.
Does it make it less safe then?

So for me this is totally not a reason to doubt to buy or not to buy
Just like what you and car_crazy said. There's a lot of safety test that manufacturers have to go through to be allowed to sell their cars to the public. Even the most lenient of all the safety test is not that easy to pass. I have faith in Nissan and I'm sure its a very safe car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Every car with a plastic bumper assembly (whether front or rear) is layered. For the main components you have the plastic outer cover for purely aesthetic purposes, followed by the impact absorber (big piece of styrofoam) and then the reinforcement bar (what actually does the protecting). Looks like the reinforcement bar on this car is that red metal part behind the black styrofoam.

·
Registered
447 Posts
This thread is silly. Modern car (meaning cars made in the last, oh, i dunno TWENTY YEARS) rely more on overall structure to prevent injury than a bumper. Physics is fun...

Look a the fourtwo...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Agreed, this is a silly pointless thread lol. Is this guy really not gonna buy a Juke because of some picture he saw of a JDM car? And you think a Kia would be better? lol

I know people that run there cars with NO crash bar for Intercooler clearance, I wouldn't but to each his own...

·
Registered
195 Posts
Every car with a plastic bumper assembly (whether front or rear) is layered. For the main components you have the plastic outer cover for purely aesthetic purposes, followed by the impact absorber (big piece of styrofoam) and then the reinforcement bar (what actually does the protecting). Looks like the reinforcement bar on this car is that red metal part behind the black styrofoam.
Agreed, and 100% correct.

·
Registered
641 Posts
He was putting on some 'underneath' lights (not sure what they are really called)

First take the front off
So, from this picture, the JUKE has two sets of lenses over the front headlights?

I know this is off topic, but I want to retrofit HID Projectors and this picture makes it look like there are two lenses.

·
Registered
777 Posts
If your talking about the bumper sitting on the ground, its a mat underneath that is giving the impression of a lens in it. You can see the other edge of the shiny mat on the floor under it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
This whole thread is based upon a common misconception among automotive safety, "Metal is safer than plastic."

First, anyone who has been in a low speed accident in a metal bumper car (circa 1988 or older) got their bell rung a little but had little damage done to their vehicle. Meanwhile those unfortunate enough to be caught in a higher speed accident had a very low survival rate. This is because steel is not only a good conductor of heat energy and electric energy, it is also a good conductor of kinetic energy. This means all the 'energy of motion' from a high speed crash in a mostly metal beam car would transfer willingly into passengers.

I am not saying a steel frame isn't important. A car needs to support approximately twice it's own weight from all directions in order to support it's own weight in a roll over, etc.

To sum this all up, heavy metal frames/bumpers/bodies do not crumple and crush people instead. Cars, like my wonderful Juke, that are designed to crumple are much safer in a high speed accident.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts