Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner
21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
If there is one thing I've learned is brand loyalty doesn't really work well when doing custom work like this. This is why my 280z has a 1uz-fe out of a Lexus ls400. I think with all the work you would do making the m9 transmission work it wouldn't not be the best choice for this swap, not to forget the fact getting one those transmissions in the US would be a huge pain.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
It's a fwd juke with awd suspension

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I spoke with Lars, he is working on a awd swap for that car BUT he is attempting to use the diesel transmission I believe. But yeah his car was originally awd and he swapped it to be a manual fwd.

·
Administrator
12,969 Posts
You can always replace the problem gears. If they are available.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2018 Subaru WRX STI
713 Posts
Having the rear independent suspension would make thing amazing on a FWD Juke.

But anyway... AWD Manual.. yes please!!!

Reactions: Ausjuk33

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
The other issue that may need dealt with is the electronic center diff if you are going to use something from a recent AWD setup. This means the factory diff controller would need to be adapted or a standalone controller if available. That would rule out the Focus RS most likely but the same company that makes a controller for the AWD CVT Juke differential also makes one for the Evo meaning that system may be the best fit asides from going to a much older AWD system. I may reach on the DccdPro and get their thoughts on this conversion.

·
Premium Member
764 Posts
The Juke doesn't have a center differential (or a rear differential gearset). It is simply a PTO from the transmission to the rear end. The AWD system is contained at the rear and is pretty simple: 2 multi-plate clutches on the rear axle, one for each wheel. Wheels go different speeds by slipping the clutches to each rear wheel at different rates. The Focus RS uses a GKN twinster system, which is similar to the Juke's system. As the emphasis is on torque vectoring, the PTO is overdriven compared to the Range Rover Evoque, which uses the same system.

The challenge is that all the torque transfer is happening through electronically-controlled clutches. To get the system to work means getting the software right.
https://www.gkn.com/en/our-technology/2016/twinster/

·
Administrator
12,969 Posts
Well Dccdpro did get it right. Can it be adapted to a manual swap out ? is the issue.

Arent they magnetically controlled clutches?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I did not not know that about the Juke AWD system, that is definitely interesting. I am still in the mindset of the older awd systems like that of my Celica All-Trac which is quite dated. From that information if there was a means of controlling it the Focus RS system would be closest match as far as retaining things like torque vectoring while still getting a 6 speed manual transmission.

·
Premium Member
764 Posts
I believe they are magnetic, but am not sure.

The challenges with the manual are many. The Juke system is somewhat torque limited. Manual transmissions have high instantaneous torque/driveline shock. Even when there is no performance benefit over automatic/cvt, you still need a stronger rear end with a manual. Having an electronically controlled transmission lets it communicate easier with an electronically controlled AWD system. Human beings controlling the transmission are hard to anticipate, requiring the system to be a bit overbuilt. Getting it to work with a manual will take some engineering prowess...

Likely, going with a full race transmission/AWD system (Sadev, Xtrac) from a rally car would be easier... (but not cheap).

Or taking the transmission/AWD from the RS, adapting it to the engine, create new mounts, adapt the suspension and re-program it for the shorter wheelbase. Would likely require a parallel computer system. (also not cheap)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
It would almost be easier to transplant an entire Focus RS powertrain into an RS honestly since just using the trans means you need to run two computers for the engine and trans then hope you can make they play nice with each other. The other option being the system out of an Evo X which would limit you to 5 gears but may be easier to adapt and there is standalone controllers available for them and they can power.

Part of me wonders what a race transmission from Sadev or Xtrac would go for but something tells me are talking 10k+ for one just to start.

·
Premium Member
2,562 Posts
Well Dccdpro did get it right. Can it be adapted to a manual swap out ? is the issue.

Arent they magnetically controlled clutches?
With just one guy trying the system out and claiming good things with no imperical data to back up before and after results is very far from saying they got it right. And I'm willing to bet the guy trying it out doesn't know all the intricacies of what is going on to really know the difference of before and after.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Okay so this will be going from theory to reality as soon as my Z project is running and driving. I am opting for the awd system of an Mitsubishi Evolution 8 or 9. If I can find one ideally I would opt for the 6 Speed out of the Evo 9 MR but they are rather hard to come by. I am still considering the GTI-R Pulsar drive train as well due to the price of the components for the Evos. The plan will likely be start collecting parts for a manual swap and the awd drivetrain components. Once I can get measurements of both the Juke components and whatever drivetrain I can start designing the custom components that will be required.

As far as custom parts go I will need:
  • CV Axles
  • Flywheel
  • Clutch disk
  • Transmission Adapter Plate
  • Differential Mount
  • Transmission Mounts
  • Driveshaft
  • Shift Linkages

In addition to those I will need to collect all of the parts for a manual conversion. I wonder if the ecu can be flashed to allow it to be used on a manual transmission application. Anything I don't have to buy again makes this a bit easier. This project likely wont go beyond collecting the parts I can grab now until next year due to needing to daily it in the mean time.

·
Administrator
12,969 Posts
Okay so this will be going from theory to reality as soon as my Z project is running and driving. I am opting for the awd system of an Mitsubishi Evolution 8 or 9. If I can find one ideally I would opt for the 6 Speed out of the Evo 9 MR but they are rather hard to come by. I am still considering the GTI-R Pulsar drive train as well due to the price of the components for the Evos. The plan will likely be start collecting parts for a manual swap and the awd drivetrain components. Once I can get measurements of both the Juke components and whatever drivetrain I can start designing the custom components that will be required.

As far as custom parts go I will need:
  • CV Axles
  • Flywheel
  • Clutch disk
  • Transmission Adapter Plate
  • Differential Mount
  • Transmission Mounts
  • Driveshaft
  • Shift Linkages

In addition to those I will need to collect all of the parts for a manual conversion. I wonder if the ecu can be flashed to allow it to be used on a manual transmission application. Anything I don't have to buy again makes this a bit easier. This project likely wont go beyond collecting the parts I can grab now until next year due to needing to daily it in the mean time.
Follow Lars Wolfe as well on Facebook. He is working on something too.

·
Registered
601 Posts

Hello, my name is Benjamin. You'll need a big old bunch of my portraits to pull off the Juke Manual AWD mod...

But hey it's just one of the many things that makes the USA freakin' awesome. American hot rodding, the envy of the world.

As proof I give you the Hot Rod Manure Spreader from North Dakota. Only a red blooded Amuricun grease monkey would do this...

Attachments

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Oh yeah now doubt it will be expensive. Especially if I go the route of using an evo drivetrain since those parts are pretty expensive, less so by using the less advanced pulsar drivetrain. I am expecting this will be in the neighborhood of 5-6k less if I used a cheaper drivetrain or if I can get a good deal on a totaled donor car. For me I love the body styling of the Juke, it's so unique compared to most new cars today. When I do actually do this swap I want to make it so it can be a viable option for others. I will likely build it with the intention of recreating parts for others if it is feasible.

That think is super freaking awesome, and is a case of doing stuff simply because you can.

·
Premium Member
2,405 Posts
That would be a helluva contribution to this community. I'm the same way, I love my non-Nismo Gen 2 Juke's styling. These guys have helped me come up with a few ways of defeating its un-modability. Does it make sense to rip the EGR and turbo manifold out, versus trading in and buying an RS or a Subaru? Not a bit, but that's what I wanna do and hopefully once its done, other folks may benefit from the experiment.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Well I come from the Datsun community and that's the way a lot of Datsun people are. I feel if you are going to go through the effort doing something like this that hasn't been done prior you may as well make your results repeatable. People that just say you should just buy another car are the ones that bug me the most, yes you can totally do that but then it wouldn't be the same as making the car the way you want it. I need to hurry up and finish my two other cars so I can get to this project.

·
Premium Member
2,405 Posts
I've always thought a lot of the few Datsun guys I've ever known, seems like a good community. Can't wait to see what you come up with.

Reactions: Ausjuk33
21 - 40 of 57 Posts