Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My point with this post is to mainly pool ideas on a potential manual awd swap for an awd Juke. I know this has been discussed before and general consensus seems to be it isn't worth the effort, but as someone who has done a few drivetrain and engine swaps I don't that is actually the case. The biggest problem seems to be the fact there is no awd manual transmissions that will just bolt up to the mr16ddt which while a pain isn't the end of the world. An adapter plate could rather easily be fabricated to account for a different transmission bolt pattern. Using an adapter plate would allow for a range of options in transmissions setups from the Focus RS, Evo, Golf-R or anything else comes from a transversely mounted engine with all wheel drive. Obviously there would be a host of other issues, custom flywheel, cv axles needing to be modified, wiring, ecu reprogramming, and quite a few other things. This may seem like a lot to do but my point is it is totally possible to swap to a manual transmission and maintain an awd layout. There may be a Nissan transmission that would simplify the process but I can't find anything that would be awd and manual that would work that isn't going all the way back to an sr20det powered pulsar. Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
2018 Subaru WRX STI
713 Posts
Wait... isn't there a Qashqai 6 speed AWD that will work? That is what MacGyver's was suggesting? (European model). Then the idea is that the linetronic controller could handle the AWD aspects of the system.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was reading that but I couldn't find anything on an all wheel drive manual variant of Qashqai but that would likely be the easiest solution if it's true.

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
I know the x-trail is awd and 6 speed manual but it comes with the 2.0 L Renault diesel engine

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
That diesel M9 is "loosely related" to the MR series motor, but definitely would need custom stuff to get it to work. But that would be the closest platform to start with.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think the big issue there would be sourcing one in the US. On top of that after looking at the back of each engine I don't know if the bellhousing from the M9 would even work on a MR to the point you may be better off with a different transmission. Diesels also tend have much different gearing as the power band on a diesel is at low rpm so it is likely the that the transmission would have very short gears to account for this. I could be totally wrong on that though.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I say full sr20 swap with pulsar drivetrain would do it. Probably just same or cheaper than the money pit that insane juke wound up being after parts and labor well over $10k

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The sr20 is a very dated platform, don't get me wrong it's a great engine but hardly worth putting into a Juke. If I were doing a full powertrain swap I would look into pulling the guts out of an Evo X or a Focus RS. Since I would be doing most if not all the work I don't really factor in labor.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I agree about the sr20 being old news but what else can you really do with the limited space under hood. Even juke r had to have a new firewall fabricated in order to fit components

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
As I contemplate i see very few options on 4cyl manual trans awd for juke but what if we didn't do manual trans and instead do bigger drivetrain like say a va swap with awd drivetrain from say a morano what say you then?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I do agree there isn't many options due to space asides from going outside of Nissan to the Focus RS or Evo. Modifying the firewall isn't out of the question, I had considered a rwd 370z setup as well.

The problem with going with the bigger transmission is it may even be more work depending on if the transmission will bolt up or not. Then you have to figure out how to control the transmission from another car. Now if there was a dual clutch box that would work, that could be interesting.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Well it's not impossible. There is a civic hatchback in Tampa with full Honda crv awd drivetrain and turbo doing high 9s quarter mile

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nothings impossible but it's all about the best use of the time. I don't feel replacing one automatic transmission with another is a good use of the time in my opinion. Not to say the cvt trans in the car is horrible just not what I want out of the car.

·
Premium Member
2,562 Posts
I have never heard of any generation Xtrail have a manual AWD option, going all the way back to the T30 with SR20VET options. They were either manual FWD or auto/CVT fwd or AWD. The SR20VET options were mandatory auto/awd

Your best bet is to get a RNN14 Pulsar GTi-R drivetrain and make a custom bellhousing adpator to mate to the MR16. The Pulsar drivetrain is fairly stout and is the fwd based version of the ATESSA system of the R32-34 GT-R.

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
Reactions: Ausjuk33

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have never heard of any generation Xtrail have a manual AWD option, going all the way back to the T30 with SR20VET options. They were either manual FWD or auto/CVT fwd or AWD. The SR20VET options were mandatory auto/awd

Your best bet is to get a RNN14 Pulsar GTi-R drivetrain and make a custom bellhousing adpator to mate to the MR16. The Pulsar drivetrain is fairly stout and is the fwd based version of the ATESSA system of the R32-34 GT-R.
Why not opt for something newer from another manufacturer? If you are having to make an adapter plate anyways it stands to reason that you may as well go for something that offers a 6 speed transmission. But that being said a pulsar drivetrain would likely be the easiest from a technical standpoint for sure. Looking out side of Nissan for a transmission could be worth it though.

·
Premium Member
2,562 Posts

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
I never said the setup from the x-trail would work, just that its a 6-speed MT and AWD. And the M9 diesel engine is related to the MR series. Just trying to keep it in the family:vs_love: instead of using a focus RS or Evo setup.

And the gearing doesn't seem to be a huge problem. 1st and 2nd are more similar in the RS tranny to the regular 6-speed juke.:dunno:
Granted 4th, 5th and 6th are taller but not huge difference possibility better highway MPG :vs_bananasplit:

X-trail:
Text Line Parallel Slope Font

Juke RS:
Line Text Parallel Slope Font

Juke 6-speed:
Text Line Parallel Slope Font

Reactions: Ausjuk33
1 - 20 of 57 Posts