Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m needing new tires for Chicago area. I’m not able to switch out summer/winter so all season. I barely drive (30,000) but this winter it was scary on low mileage continentals.

·
Administrator
11,782 Posts
I’m needing new tires for Chicago area. I’m not able to switch out summer/winter so all season. I barely drive (30,000) but this winter it was scary on low mileage continentals.
Go with a Big name brand. Do not get any crappy tires off Amazon or even use Tire Rack.. Get them locally and shop around. That way if something happens. You have someone in your corner that you can see face to face.

·
Registered
969 Posts
^^^ that. I am fortunate enough to swap summer/winter(studded) tires whenever I want but when that wasn't an option I would always ALWAYS spend for the best rated wet/rain/snow/ice all seasons I could get.

·
Registered
969 Posts
OP said they wanted all season. If the option isn't available for swapping dedicated summer/winter I would go all weather as @Bargeld said but back in the day it was "all season" tires. I'm lucky here cuz I can run studded winters (they really really don't do a good job plowing the roads) and have my summers for 3 months :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Go with a Big name brand. Do not get any crappy tires off Amazon or even use Tire Rack.. Get them locally and shop around. That way if something happens. You have someone in your corner that you can see face to face.
[/QUOTE]
I shop at a local Discount Tire. Looking for recommendations on AS before I go in.
The new Michelin cross climate 2 probably the best all weather tires right now.
Thank you!

·
Registered
210 Posts
DTC is a good company and will treat you well. I worked for them for 10 years. When they only do tires, they know their stuff.

With all that being said, a snow/winter tire is the only thing that will give you the level of safety and predictability in ice and snow, bar none. Anything else will be a compromise.

If you don't want to mess with swapping tires, or installing traction devices, then find a winter tire that you can live with all year. Michelin & Bridgestone are the two brands that I saw the fewest issues over my decade of work in tires, and the two brands that I look to first when the time comes.

Remember, you may not drive around like a race car, but when you need to do an emergency maneuver or emergency stop, having racing level cornering and stopping from your tires will better help keep you out of danger than a ho-hum budget tire. Good tires and brakes are always worth the investment.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts