Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody,

I got to drive a Juke this past weekend and I was impressed. The car is quick and has excellent ride and handling. Fun and practical.

While checking out the car, I was able to pair my iPhone 4 to the bluetooth system, but wasn't able to test the iPod functionality. A couple of things I'm wondering:

1) What's the functional difference between using the cable in the glove box versus the USB connector? The manual says the glovebox iPod connector only charges devices with Firewire charging ability and I'm assuming the USB port will charge USB devices. Can anybody confirm? Are there other differences?

2) Is the iPhone fully supported as an iPod device? i.e., can you control playback through the touchscreen, like you can with the supported iPod models? The manual has some caveats about iPhones, but they're pretty vague.

I took some pictures of several colors, which I'll try to post later tonight. Also got some shots of the rear roof spoiler, splash guards, etc.

Later...

iaj

·
Registered
43 Posts
iaj,

I spent some time at the dealership just yesterday and tried to get to the bottom of this. Unfortunately, I am a bigger nerd than any of the salespeople so I was kinda leading the charge of putting together the picture of how an iphone integrates into the Juke.

I will break down my observations into how I was able to get it to interact with the standard stereo and the premium navigation package stereo.

STANDARD STEREO
Firstly I am not sure if iPod connectivity is standard with base radio or I was in a car that had an upgraded radio. It seemed pretty basic to me.
- Even with basic radio bluetooth communication works and is built in. You can dial out, answer calls, hang up, etc. etc.
- In the glove box there is a connector with a big ugly crazy port connector on one end and a standard dock connector on the other. The ere is a port in the glove box for the giant crazy plug. From what I could tell there isn't a way to feed this cable out of the glove box and have your ipod/iphone anywhere then stuffed in the glove box. This kinda sucks as what if you want to write a text message or looks up a webpage. Even if you wanted to keep the glove box open the cord wasn't long enough to really use your iphone from the drivers seat.
- On the standard model with the iphone plugged into the glove box adapter cord I could navigate though all the basic ipod music/podcast related functions from the standard radio dial + enter button -- after pressing the 'ipod' button at the top. You could select genre, album, podcasts, playlists, etc. Then navigate one level down and select a track.
- Steering wheel audio control was limited to next/previous track control and volume. (this was kind of disappointing)

NAVIGATION PACKAGE
With the navigate package radio there was nothing in the glove box but there was a USB jack down below the dash at the deep front end of the center console. When I plugged my iphone into this it immediately made the phone available to the stereo and I could use the navigation touch screen to navigate through various ipod music menus (playlists, genres, etc.) Additionally, the screen did a nice job of displaying what was playing (artist, track length, song name, etc.) Nothing too fancy like album art or anything but a very reasonable job. The really bad news (in my opinion) is that (from what I could see) my iphone was TOTALLY locked up and unavailable for use while it was connected to the sound system. So no reading a text message, checking an address in your contact list or looking up some random bit of info on a website while your phone is connected to the stereo. This kinda totally sucks if you ask me. What's the point of having your phone 'integrated' into your car if it makes it unavailable?!

BLUETOOTH AUDIO
One BIG disappointment for both stereo levels is the apparent lack of Bluetooth audio support. Even on the Kia Sportage I rented a while back I could not only use bluetooth for all my basic phone features (like you can in the Juke) but you could also bluetooth as an audio input and stream your music/audio directly to your car stereo sound system. This is particularly great because your iphone is 'locked up' and only available to the stereo system -- leaving you free to read a random text message or look up an address in your contact list.. Major bummer.

So that's what i know. I'm gonna hit up the dealer and play around a little bit more with the stereo system (and give the manual transmission a test drive) and if I notice anything new or realize some of these details are wrong I will update.

Anyone else have experience with an iphone and either of the Jukes two stereo options?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Quick addition that I forgot to mention -- my iphone4 was being charged when I plugged into both the glove box adapter and the below dash mounted USB input.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info, even if it's a little disappointing. Do you remember if you could charge your iPhone from the USB connector, and still use it? In other words, does connecting to USB lock you out, or can you still use your phone until you hit the USB button on the head unit?

·
Registered
122 Posts
In my Juke, when my iPhone 4 (using 4.1) is connected to the USB, it charges and plays like Chris mentions, but the phone itself is not locked.

You can see the play icon in the top right corner, but I can still see texts as they come in and interact with the phone like I always could.

The problem I've had (sometimes) is that when you have the phone hooked up via USB and start using some bluetooth functions, every now and then the phone decides to stop using either and kind of disconnects from everything...forcing you to unplug/replug the USB port and everything works again. After reading around online, this very much appears to be an Apple issue that will hopefully get patched. The good news is this doesn't happen all the time...like today it worked flawlessly.

Definitely not experience the lock-out, though.

There's an Apple Support thread here:
http://discussions.apple.com/message.jspa?messageID=12442323#12442323

·
Registered
43 Posts
RubxCub,

Thanks for clarifying! I was bouncing around between the standard radio with the glove box and the premium stereo package so much it definitely sounds like I mixed something up.

I wonder if it was the glove box cabled standard radio package that locked up my iphone -- perhaps someone knows? Or maybe neither locks it up and I ran into some random hiccup or am just crazy. :)

I am also thankful to hear that the phone is available to check a quick text message or email while driving. Hopefully the occasional strangeness you mentioned is resolved with a software update. I will definitely be keeping an eye on that Apple Support thread link you posted.

Congrats on the Juke purchase. Other than the funk you mentioned -- do you have any additional thoughts on using your phone with the car? I suspect there is a pretty firm overlap with juke purchasers and iphone people.

One specific question I had was around using the voice dial feature of the phone versus needing to import all the names and numbers into the stereo. On my bluetooth headset, I can just press the button when I am not connected to a call and it will bring up the standard iphone voice dial 'chirp' and prompt me to use the standard iPhone4 voice dial commands. Can you do this with the bluetooth system in the Juke? Or do you need to import all the contacts in your phone into the car stereo system and then dial using that list? Any idea how easy it is up update the contact list phonebook in the car?

Thanks for the inside scoop!! I am definitely getting more exciting about making the plunge and get a juke!

Chris

·
Registered
122 Posts
I've created a thread about the Voice Dialing in general, as I feel there's a bit of clutter in the menus.

To call my wife for instance using voice prompts (who has 3 stored numbers), I have to:

- Press Voice Dial Button
- Press Voice Dial Button to interrupt the talking lady
- Say Call
- Say <Wife's Name> (in last name, first name order)
- Say Dial
- Say Next Entry (to change to the second number stored)
- Say Next Entry (to change to the third number stored)
- Say Yes

...now, as you can see that's a lot of button pressing and command giving. Luckily, once you get used to all the prompts, you can do this pattern very fast, it's just kind of annoying that you have to do all that, you know?

As far as phone integration in general, I find interacting with my iPod music is best done with a combination of the touchscreen and the manual dial on the right of the screen.

For instance, I'll want to listen to Muse, so I pick Artist. From there I'm presented with all of my artists on my phone, which is a decent amount, so I'm left with a few options:

- Use the touchscreen only
- Use the manual dial only
- Use a combination of the two

The strength of the touchscreen is that I can have it automatically jump to some point in the list, but this is going to be an estimated jump. It allows you to press in the space between the scroll arrows to jump to that location in the list....so since Muse starts with an M, I'll press somewhere in the middle of the arrows, as M is probably going to be close to the middle. From there, I can either make another guess at where Muse would be on the list buy trying to refine the tap I just made, use the on screen arrows to navigate up and down (slowish) or switch to the manual dial which allows very quick navigation up and down the list.

Basically by combining the touchscreen to jump you to the approximate location, and using the manual dial to get you on exactly what you're looking for, you have the most efficient method of getting you to what you want.

One other note is that the system does let you select and play video podcasts from your list, since it just reads them as podcasts. I was half hoping it'd somehow pop the video up on the screen (imagine the glory...) but instead it just plays the audio.

What I'm still working on getting right is how I want to connect my phone and where I leave it in the car everyday.

Right now I bought a retractable iPod cable since it's the smallest iPod cable I could find without buying online, and I rest my phone in the little cradle under the center console. The main issue here is that the iPhone sits BEAUTIFULLY in that little cradle...when it's not plugged in to anything. There is some grippy rubber there and some hard lips on both sides to prevent the phone from falling out. When you have the cable connected to the phone, it cannot rest flat in that area down there no matter how you turn it.

The retractable cable solves this a little bit, as the iPhone moving towards the cable on a turn is very unlikely, as the retracting unit is pretty much right there in it's way. The iPhone moving away from the retracting unit is also kind of covered, as the phone is angled downwards in that direction, so it's harder to slide, and the retractable cable holds it a good bit.

I'd like to have a more elegant solution (and I haven't given up!), but for now, this is what I'm using.

Hope that didn't fry anyone's brains with a bit of "Too Much Information" :D

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
RubxQub,

Can you voice dial through bluetooth using the built-in iPhone 4 Voice Control? i.e., by holding down the home button until the phone beeps twice?

Thanks,

iaj

·
Registered
122 Posts
RubxQub,

Can you voice dial through bluetooth using the built-in iPhone 4 Voice Control? i.e., by holding down the home button until the phone beeps twice?

Thanks,

iaj
You can, however this falls under the "causes weird stuff to happen" area of iPhone integration if you also have your phone playing music while connected to USB (which is always for me).

This does indeed work just fine, however sometimes the iPhone does get in a weird state when connected via USB and playing music, so sometimes you'll lose the USB connectivity all-together.

A work around I've discovered is just changing inputs on the car (ie, flip over to FM radio for a sec) and then use the bluetooth commands. This avoids any weird phone issues and allows you to do what you want without an issue.

Not a necessary step, but it's the only foolproof method for now until Apple updates the firmware.

Fingers crossed for a fix in 4.2.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So, just to beat a dead horse: The iPhone voice control works through the bluetooth? Or you have speak into the phone?

The music playback issue isn't a big problem for me, as I like XM better than my music collection. I do like some podcasts and the occasional audio book, though.

I'm running 4.2 on my iPhone so I should go play with it at a dealer to see if weird stuff happens. I wouldn't hold my breath, though. Apple seems to fix the bugs they want to, not the ones we want them to.

·
Registered
122 Posts
So, just to beat a dead horse: The iPhone voice control works through the bluetooth? Or you have speak into the phone?

The music playback issue isn't a big problem for me, as I like XM better than my music collection. I do like some podcasts and the occasional audio book, though.

I'm running 4.2 on my iPhone so I should go play with it at a dealer to see if weird stuff happens. I wouldn't hold my breath, though. Apple seems to fix the bugs they want to, not the ones we want them to.
I'm guessing that you're speaking into the iPhone microphone, but I can't confirm it without going back and playing with it (at work atm).

The only thing that leads me to believe this is that when I did it, I don't think it engaged any of the voice connection software until the phone started dialing.

I'll try again to be sure later, though.

Let me know if you have any luck with 4.2!

·
Registered
43 Posts
The main issue here is that the iPhone sits BEAUTIFULLY in that little cradle...when it's not plugged in to anything. There is some grippy rubber there and some hard lips on both sides to prevent the phone from falling out. When you have the cable connected to the phone, it cannot rest flat in that area down there no matter how you turn it.
Wow. Thanks for all the detail in your post. I totally remember what you are talking about with the iphone not fitting into that cubby when plugged into anything. Seems silly to have the fit go from perfect to awkward when you want to have your phone charging and synced to the stereo. :/

How much clearance is there. Is it the actual wide dock connecter that keeps the phone from resting nicely in the cubby or is it the cable/lead that keeps it from laying flat. If there is enough room to allow for a bit of the connector to rest in the cubby then perhaps this cable would work? It's part of a car charging kit so it's not cheap bit maybe it's perfect?

http://ak1.ostkcdn.com/images/products/etilize/images/300/11957428.jpg

Does that look like it will fit? Or is there not even enough space for that bit of dock connector?

- Chris

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm guessing that you're speaking into the iPhone microphone, but I can't confirm it without going back and playing with it (at work atm).
I think what he is referring to is not speaking into the phone but rather wondering if there is a way to activate the voice dialing of the iphone like you would if you were wearing a bluetooth headset.

For example, if I am wearing my bluetooth headset (with my phone in my bag or pocket or wherever) and I click the bottom on my headset I hear a little 'ba-beep' in my hear at which point the bluetooth headset has connected me to the iphone voice dialing feature and I can just say "call sally home' or 'call tom jones mobile' and have the audio going directly to the phone and taking advantage of the iphone voice dialing as if I did the long-press of the home button on the phone and were talking into the speaker -- but it's all happening over bluetooth.

I rented a Kia Sportage and was impressed to see it working this way. I could just do a long press of the 'dial button' on the steering wheel and it would just throw me straight to my iphone voice dialing -- rather than need to negotiate the car-specific directory and voice menu commands.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You got it, Chris. It works on some car bluetooth systems, but not all. If it works on the Juke, I'd rather just use that than Nissan's voice prompts, which seem very un-Apple-like.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Unfortunately it's the actual connector sitting in the iPhone that's leaning on lip, so if it's plugged in at all, it won't sit flat. It's like that little cubby was designed specifically to fit an unplugged iPhone snuggly.

As for activating the voice controls with the voice control button, if you can, I haven't figured out a way. There's nothing in the owner's manual that specifies this, and when you hold the voice control button, it activates the voice control diagnostic screen with the only option being to begin the voice recognition training system.

Slight correction over my previous statement, however, about it being the iPhone mic that you're speaking into when you press and hold the Home button on the iPhone itself. When you press and hold the iPhone button itself, the voice activation automatically activates itself (and reads "Active Call") and your voice appears to be picked up through the car mic.

So the good news is, you can just press and hold the home button on your phone and just use the Apple interface directly which is miles ahead of the Nissan system unfortunately.

A little kludgy, but I think it's the best method by far to make calls over the built in system. Your iPhone should always be at arms length, so this shouldn't be a massive inconvenience for most.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That sounds reasonable then. I have a TomTom windshield mount that I use now, which works well and keeps the phone at eye level. I'll probably continue to do that.

About that phone cubby: Could you take an X-acto knife and remove a small amount of material where the dock cable interferes so the phone lays flat. I like that location for holding the phone.

·
Registered
53 Posts
How about streaming internet radio? This is an issue with Ford's SYNC system, which totally seems to take over the phone, thus rendering it a 100% slave to their clunky, nanny system. The only solution there to it not locking you into iPOD mode is to either use Bluetooth audio to stream your content to the headunit or line-in to the aux audio port (as opposed to the USB port alone).

Is the Juke like this, or can you plug your iPHONE into the USB port, and then still access an app like WunderRadio or Pandora and play that streaming content through the Juke's audio system USB port connection to the headunit (or would you also need to line-in to the aux audio port here too, like in the SYNC systems)?

On the topic of your phone fitting into the cubby, it's interesting to note that in the Juke brochure, on the "TECHNOLOGY" page, they show an iPOD with connector cable seemingly fitting just fine in the cubby, but they have the dock connector to the RIGHT (away from the USB port). Would that make a difference?

On my MINI Cooper, I had my iPHONE sitting in a Belkin cup-holder cradle (iPHONE4 fits it perfectly, by the way), but my cup holders were right in front of the stick, analogous to the positioning of the USB port in the Juke. This was ideal! It was right at my fingertips, and visible while driving. With the cup-holders in the Juke being so far back, even this won't be possible to use in the same manner :-(. I guess the cubby is it! We must find a way!

(Awaiting delivery of my Juke, btw, as soon as the dealership locates and retrieves it).

·
Registered
248 Posts
I can confirm, at least with iOS 4 - juke does not "lock" the interface when connected via USB. I use rhapsody all the time. Only issue is that the nav screen will obviosly still show the ipod information as if it has been paused. Also wonkiness ensues if you have it paired via blutooth, have it plugged in via USB, and a phone call comes in.

There is however no pause function on the nav system. This may be somewhat of a stumbling block for iOS 3 devices. On my old alpine head, I had to pause the iPod playback before I could get alternate audio sources to work. This may or may not be a problem for juke and iOS 3.

Not sure about the cubbyhole issue. My iPhone 4 fits withe connector plugged in, no problem.

·
Registered
254 Posts
***never mind found my answer "nope not both"***
Could anyone tell me if it is an option to have both the nav package with the USB port below it AND the glove box iPod interface? My window sticker lists interface system for iPod under the comfort and convenience package and under dealer installed options it says navigation package and under that USB connection port for iPod... I don't have a connection in the glove box though. I have an SV model. Your help is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
254 Posts
ok so i've been searching and can't find an answer I fully understand so...can anyone confirm for me if the 5th generation ipod video (2004 era) should charge on the USB port below the nav system? mine doesnt but this thing has been through hell and back so i'm not sure if it's just my ipod or the voltage or both. My prior veh had a brand new head unit made for iphone 4 (which i also have) and that unit charged my old school 5th gen with no problems? I'm hoping it will, i basically leave this old ipod in the car and use it like a flash drive

I'm not sure if my ipod is compatibe but dont understand the manual which says:

iPod​
® charging is only possible for devices
that support charging via a FireWire
® connection.
* 12V-charge iPod
®s are not chargeable with

this system.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts