Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Nissan Juke Nismo
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone! My 2014 Nissan juke 6 speed is having problems starting. It started about 3 days ago and it seems the engine is failing to start sometimes. It will take 5 to 10 times of pressing the start button and it turning over before it will kick on. It turns over everytime the button is pushed however it takes a while of actually waiting for it to turn over for it to start. I think it might be a fuel pump relay going out or something because once the car starts I can shut it off and it will start right up the next time as long as I don't let the car sit for longer then an hour. It's interesting but I was just wondering if anybody else has had the same issue and fixed it.

·
Super Moderator
2,039 Posts
Welcome to the forums. Someone posted with a similar issue a day or two ago. If it's cranking but not starting, it's something with the fuel delivery. If you turn the car on to accessory mode or Key On Engine Off (KOEO) and let it sit for 5-10 seconds and then start the engine, does it reliably start every time? You have to test it multiple times and make it a habit to purposefully introduce that delay. The delay allows the fuel system to prime. If the car starts reliably every time when you let it prime, then yes, it would seem there is something wrong with the fuel delivery system. Could be a fuel pressure sensor (there was a voluntary service campaign to tighten the sensor and fix a fuel leak), could be the high pressure fuel pump, could be the sending fuel pump. Worst case it could be something with timing and ignition, but you would then have performance problems while driving.

·
Registered
2014 Nissan Juke Nismo
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey thanks for the reply! You know I did think it was something with the fuel as it runs great when you get it started. But fuel lines not being pressurized would make sense. It's weird that it would just start doing it all the sudden tho. I'll have to check it out. Also it is a push button system.

·
Registered
2014 Nissan Juke Nismo
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's still doing it. Even with priming. I can hear the fuel pump priming but it still is acting like it's not getting fuel requiring multiple time turning over. I think I turned it over 7 times before I started it. When it finally does start, it runs and idles fine. No issues. I don't get it.

·
Super Moderator
11,290 Posts
Water in the fuel tank ? Run it down and go to a different gas station fill up with premium.

·
Registered
2014 Nissan Juke Nismo
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You know, I was thinking about this. It's very cold up here in the north. I just bought the car and it came from Cali. So you might be on to something. I just filled it up with premium gas all the way too the top. It just started doing this as it got low on gas and sat out over night. I'm going to unplug the battery to reset it and see how it goes in the morning.

·
Registered
2014 Nissan Juke Nismo
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's still doing it. Took about 10 times of pressing the button and waiting for it to start. I called my dealership since I'm still within 30 days of buying it and there going to take a look at it. I live in New York so we have that 30 day lemon law. Love the car, I just want it fixed.

·
Super Moderator
11,290 Posts
Its gotta be something easy.

·
Registered
2014 Nissan Juke Nismo
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I drove it the 70 miles too the dealership and they can't get it recreate the problem even after sitting for 4-5 hours. It's starts up every time now. I have no idea what's going on. They think it may be the fuel pump but they say it's pumping fine.

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
So I drove it the 70 miles too the dealership and they can't get it recreate the problem even after sitting for 4-5 hours. It's starts up every time now. I have no idea what's going on. They think it may be the fuel pump but they say it's pumping fine.
Did you check on the voluntary campaign for the fuel sensor?

·
Registered
2014 Nissan Juke Nismo
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, they said it wasn't included in the recall. The dealership manger gave me his number and told me if it does it again to call him directly and he'll set me up with a rental and keep it over the weekend. It's like a 70 Mile drive which blows but whatever. It's weird, now it started up just fine from being completely cold. Im going to go fill it up with mega expensive gas and put a fuel treatment through it and see what happens. hopefully it'll clear it up. Will update though.

·
Super Moderator
11,290 Posts
Well you did the battery negative. Check the positive post for tightness.

CHeck your FOB batteries.

Still could have been water in the fuel. Takes time for it to get out of the "Basket".

BK44 fuel treatment. Amazon.

·
Registered
2014 Nissan Juke Nismo
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I checked them. Nice and tight. It only took 4 times of turning it over to start it this time. I will get the fuel treatment though. Also here's a video I took so you can see what I'm talking about. https://youtu.be/ZGIdk0iqim0

·
Registered
70 Posts
My best guess is that you should replace the hpfp (high pressure fuel pump) mounted on the engine. I've got a friend whos juke has been through three of them now, plagued with bad luck, I guess. But this is her symptoms every time her pump dies. Done a DIY replacement.

The first time it was replaced, removing the pump, beating it on the ground released some clogging deposits, reinstalled it and it fired right up with confidence. Replaced with a new one.

·
Super Moderator
11,290 Posts
Gotcha. Yeah what Steve500 said is most likely the culprit.

You can check all the simple stuff. Clogged air filter. Bad MAF sensor. Cracked vacuum line or hose off. If any work was done to her for resale they might have dislodged something.

The main fuse on the battery positive might be corroded or going bad. I think one other had this issue. Yeah I know how does the car crank. Just trust me on this.

Bad ground cables.

It could be the LPFP too or the fuel filter. I would hesitate to just throw parts at her. A dealer can crank it and check what the pressures are.

Maybe the plugs got fouled but 4 OEM plugs so soon doesnt sound right either.

·
Registered
2014 Nissan Juke Nismo
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
For sure, thanks for the reply. I'm actually leaning twords the hpfp but I will check that other stuff and replace the fuse. It's still doing it so I'm going to take it to the dealer and let THEM throw parts at it. Haha it's still under warranty so no biggie. But I will update when I get some more info.

·
Registered
2014 Nissan Juke Nismo
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So I just got a call from the dealership this afternoon. turns out it was the low pressure fuel pump. they ordered the parts and will let me know when they have installed it. i have high hopes but we will see. Will update when i get the vehicle back.

·
Super Moderator
11,290 Posts
Awesome. Its not a hard job.

·
Registered
2014 Nissan Juke Nismo
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
New update, got a call from the dealership this morning and now it turns out there still having the same issue with it. They went to move it this morning and it's giving them the same issue with not starting even with the new lp fuel pump. So they traced it back to the ECU. So there going to replace that now. Will keep updating as I hear.

·
Super Moderator
2,039 Posts
Sounds like they’re throwing parts at it now... first they would try re-flashing the ECU before replacing. The service manual has step by step troubleshooting procedures for this kind of thing. Unless there’s a fried component or a communication issue, I doubt replacing the ECU is going to result in a fix.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts