Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there. Both of my key fobs have new batteries and the car doors unlock and lock with them but trying everything the manual says to start the engine is not working. I've tried the battery out of fob and pressing it against the push start and that doesn't work either. Is there a way to fix this or will I have to go to a dealership with my car on a flatbed to have the fobs reprogrammed? On a side note do they sell old fashioned key cylinder ignitions that can be installed and bypass this whole fob issue? Any help would be great. Thank you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also I haven't tried to disconnect the terminals of the battery and reconnect them. It figures that the tool box I usually keep in the car is at home.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Swift was referring to the actual brake lights working. The brake switch failing is a somewhat common problem that can lead to the vehicle not starting because it doesn't know that the brake pedal is depressed. Pushing the brake pedal and checking that the brake lights work is the way to make sure the switch is working.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I will that when I get off of work. The pedal has been pumped to the point that the pressure is really hard to get any motion out of the brake pedal but I'll give it a try when I get off of work.

·
Super Moderator
1,778 Posts
There are two switches on the brake pedal. 1 is for the stop lamps, 1 is for the ignition interlock (brake position). You can see/hear the two switches engage separately by very slowly pressing the brake pedal and watching the stop lamps turn on then very soon after that, hearing the shift interlock disengage.

Either one of these switches could be bad or just need realignment on the brake pedal.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There are two switches on the brake pedal. 1 is for the stop lamps, 1 is for the ignition interlock (brake position). You can see/hear the two switches engage separately by very slowly pressing the brake pedal and watching the stop lamps turn on then very soon after that, hearing the shift interlock disengage.

Either one of these switches could be bad or just need realignment on the brake pedal.
Alright. I'll have to check it out. What do I do if I can't get the pressure off of the brake pedal?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all for your help. It was the brake switch. Somehow it must have become misaligned and after removing it, spraying it with contact cleaner, and reinstalling it works and the old girl started right up. I'm sorry for asking so many questions. Thank you everyone for your advice and help.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Just chiming in here with a tangential question; but since the brake is just an electric contact pad that is known to have issues doesn't that mean you can be just driving along and suddenly the brakes don't work?

That sounds.....sketch.

·
Super Moderator
1,778 Posts
driving along and suddenly the brakes don't work?
You're forgetting the fact that brakes are still hydraulically controlled via a brake cylinder and vacuum assist brake booster. there's nothing electrical about brakes on a car and physically coming to a stop. The "BRAKE" light on the dash may illuminate if the switch fails while driving and your stop lamps may not illuminate depending which switch fails and therefore the next time you try to start the car it won't, but your brakes are still doing their job.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
You're forgetting the fact that brakes are still hydraulically controlled via a brake cylinder and vacuum assist brake booster. there's nothing electrical about brakes on a car and physically coming to a stop. The "BRAKE" light on the dash may illuminate if the switch fails while driving and your stop lamps may not illuminate depending which switch fails and therefore the next time you try to start the car it won't, but your brakes are still doing their job.
Gotcha. Should have figured.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Interestingly, one of my key fobs will open / lock doors by pressing the buttons but will not start the engine, the KEY light lights up on the display.

the other fob works perfectly.

I just had a similar problem with my Audi TT. connected the OBD port to my lap top and fired up VCDS and went to the central locking computer and used the option to "learn" the fob that was not working. It worked a treat and now the TT fob works.

Question, is there a option, using some software similar to VCDS (vag com) to take a non working Nissan FOB and get it working again ?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Nissan consult 3? It's a dealer thang.
Hmmmmmmmmm, is there a software available in the aftermarket similar to VCDS/VagCom that can be downloaded which will perform the function of this dealer "consult 3" ???

i have been using vagcom/vcds for years on my vag group vehicles and it works a treat, enabling me to do all the stuff that the dealer software can do and saving me a ton of money over the years.

Recently, I just added a display (replaces the small factory instrument cluster display) that via the stalk in the car, can connect to the cars various controllers, display faults, monitor measuring blocks and clear fault codes etc. Is there anything like this in the market for Nissans?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi there. Both of my key fobs have new batteries and the car doors unlock and lock with them but trying everything the manual says to start the engine is not working. I've tried the battery out of fob and pressing it against the push start and that doesn't work either. Is there a way to fix this or will I have to go to a dealership with my car on a flatbed to have the fobs reprogrammed? On a side note do they sell old fashioned key cylinder ignitions that can be installed and bypass this whole fob issue? Any help would be great. Thank you.
We had a similar issue a few years ago with our Juke. I noticed the brake pedal was not relaxing while applying my foot to the pedal while trying to start the Juke. Apparently a sensor in the brake system had gone bad preventing the engine from starting. So, not a key fob issue, but a brake sensor issue. Required a trip to the dealership to have the sensor replaced (under warranty at the time for us)... good luck!

·
Super Moderator
10,728 Posts
Short answer, no.

Torque pro, cvtz app. That's all you get.
I think FORSCAN and there is another app that works too. Someone just posted it the other day.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts