Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the forum so hello everyone
I recently had a timing chain snap on my 1.6 dig-t unfortunately valves are bent, I decided that I would do the work myself with some help from the father in law only to find that I cannot find the valves anywhere apart from Nissan, now when I say I can’t find them I mean that everywhere says no stock with a price of around £9.60 each, after calling Nissan I almost vomited as I was told then inlet valves were £42 and exhaust were £47. My question is does anybody at all know where I might find these valves at a reasonable price as I currently have our family car in bits knowing that if I take it to a garage I will be charged the price of valves from Nissan plus labour etc.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Do you have the appropriate equipment to do a proper valve job? like the tools to make sure the seats are correct and that the guides are correct? When a valve gets hit hard enough to bend it, odds are the guide is going to be a bit hurt as well. You cannot just take valves out and put them back in. Valve buckets are another big thing. You cannot just put the old buckets in. You have to measure them and get the appropriate sized bucket to set the valve lash. The buckets are nissan only and go for ~$10 each (depending on the bucket ect). As for the valves; Nissan is your only option I am afraid.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
New to the forum so hello everyone
I recently had a timing chain snap on my 1.6 dig-t unfortunately valves are bent, I decided that I would do the work myself with some help from the father in law only to find that I cannot find the valves anywhere apart from Nissan, now when I say I can’t find them I mean that everywhere says no stock with a price of around £9.60 each, after calling Nissan I almost vomited as I was told then inlet valves were £42 and exhaust were £47. My question is does anybody at all know where I might find these valves at a reasonable price as I currently have our family car in bits knowing that if I take it to a garage I will be charged the price of valves from Nissan plus labour etc.
Everything is non-stocked from Nissan practically. I waited 4-6 weeks to get my intake/exhaust valves. I did not replace the valve guides but I didn’t bend valves either. The difficulty level is a 10 and requires the valve seats to also be recut to maintain valve concentricity which is also a major amount of work. The lifter buckets would also need to be replaced or the valve tips ground several thousands of an inch to correct the geometry as cutting new seats will sink the valves deeper and reduce the valve clearances.

Honestly the best bet is a new head from Nissan. A head shop could do it but by the time they are done it’ll cost near what a new head would.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I paid for the Intake Valve (13201-BV81B) $12.67 and Exhaust Valve (13202-BV81A) $18.98 stateside. Don't forget the valve stem seals, about $5.94 ea. from Nissan.
These from ebay are OE Nissan and are for the 2010-2014 Juke 1.6L Turbo, double confirm your application.

You're going to need a valve cutter or seat grinder kit, valve spring compressor, cylinder head stand, valve guide seal installer/remover kit, valve guide bore reamer, & bore gauge set (expanding pin type) at the bare minimum to even tackle this job. That is easily $500 USD in tooling to do the job right, the intake/exhaust valves plus guide seals are $253 and $95 respectively. IF you had to remove the valve guides then you have to heat the cylinder head, then using a pneumatic driver to pound the guides out. The OE replacements require an oversize reaming operation in the cylinder head as the replacement valve guides themselves are oversize O.D. from the factory for a perfect fit. The cylinder head shop I talked to was even hesitant about replacing the valve guides and usually it isn't necessary.

At the bare minimum if you just swapped the valves without even reconditioning the seats you would be talking about $400 USD. This would be a terrible way to rebuild a head but technically it could be done and the car would drive I suppose but it wouldn't hold compression very well. If you had a machine shop specializing in cylinder heads they would have to charge you at least $750 USD with parts included.

New OE Nissan cylinder head is about $1059 without shipping/taxes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input folks, ended up taking the head to a local machine shop for the work as upon taking out the head I found the valve seats were all heavily pitted and needed re cutting as well as needing the lifter buckets changing

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Lifter buckets shouldn't need changing if they tip or precision grind the valve stems to set the correct valve lash. They shouldn't have to remove more than .010" (0.25mm) from the valve seat to remove the pitting and this can easily be removed from the valve stem tips. New buckets will add about $400 USD to the cost of the head build and it's not necessary unless they are damaged which is highly doubtful. I've just gone thru this and lifter buckets are on backorder for an indefinite period so you may be waiting awhile for the head to be rebuilt if they go that route.

Reactions: Ausjuk33

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The head has been refurbished and is now fitted, I assume they did what you said as the total cost for the cylinder head work was £300.
I’m getting codes p0011 and p0014. Both solenoids are working as I have tested them. All oilways are clear. New oil and filter. My only idea now is that the cam phasers may be locked up and this may be what caused the initial issues leading to the timing chain snapping.
Would you happen to have any info on stripping the cam phasers?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts