Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you found my interior accent lighting journal to be value-added, the illuminated door sills are the other part of my interior light spruce-up, and I'd like to catalog the experience as well.

Here is the PDF for the instructions:

https://www.nissan-techinfo.com/asistgc_1/USENG/diskdocs/1/U/J/1UJ24.PDF

I do not believe year-model or trim matters much (if any) for this accessory. Its pretty simple, compared to the interior lighting kit, but the process is about the same.

I will do some prep work on this this evening and share anything worth mentioning, and then the kit will go in tomorrow. This is probably a 15 min job with all the front trim panels disassembled already.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here we go. Got a sick kid at home and now he's crashed out so Imma secretly project for a bit.

Attachments

·
Registered
720 Posts
I just think it's pretty cool you got a 'sticky' thread and there's no substance to it :cheers::vs_rightHere::vs_lol:

·
Premium Member
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Well....

Fellas.

I have it hooked up; it was pretty simple, just a PITA to get to stuff. I am prepared to begin the putting this together; but, the only thing is...its not on!

It's probably something small and I just can't find it because I'm tired. I'll revisit tomorrow. Only thing I've seen is that theres a small tear/cut in the outer sheath of the very simple red wire/ black wire harness. Upon further inspection it doesn't look like the wire is compromised at all. So I just patched it with a couple passes of electrical tape. So I don't think that's the problem. The positap connections are good. Although the accy wire was pre-stripped, they didn't give me much. 1/3" maybe. Could that be an issue?

I just think it's pretty cool you got a 'sticky' thread and there's no substance to it

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Okay so I an finished with the install and I think it looks pretty great (does not glow orange as advertised but this is more better IMO).

If you're interested in this kit please see my previous post about the Interior Illumination Kit, because most of the steps are the same, but fewer of them

1) Kill Batt

2) 10mmx2 at the gas/hood release levers. Pay attention to anything you may have grounded on these bolts. I believe it's a common instruction for optional accessories.

2) using a vinyl removal tool or bare hands if you're comfortable doing so, remove the dash finishers that follow down to the door sills, and remove the door sill finishers as well. (As shown in daytime pic not lit-up)

Those white circular clips are kind of a pain but a smallish flathead screwdriver will help you lift the tan underneath the inside facing latch thing.

3) Pull your lower steering finisher down. You don't HAVE to disconnect everything and remove it completely, but it'll make your job easier.

4) Locate BCM (see previous post), and pull the same wiring harness. Try not to break the clips. I did and it acrually makes it much harder to remove in the future.

Locate the black and red wires on your harness (see diagram), and tap these with the black and red wires, respectively, of your accessory.

*NOTE* the black wire is too thick for the provided PosiTap to work correctly. Plan for a having a larger (guessing 14/16awg) one on hand for this, or an alternate method of tapping the wires.

*ALSO NOTE* the accessory bare wire is pre-stripped already, but not pre-stripped enough. Get your trusty wire strippers and buy yourself another half-inch.

5) Route the Y-harness. Shorter side is LH, longer side goes around the front (and behind firewall carpet) of your center console just like the interior kit does. Ziptie or foam tape cables up and out of the way.

6) Route the kicker plates, by positioning the plate where it will sit (see instructions linked above), and then pull up the weather stripping, feeding the ribbon cable up and over. There is a small ballast that will comfortably fit on its largest side between the white collars in the door sills. Run your cable until it meets the wiring harness (there are lots of ways you could positions these because of the wiggle room), and plug it in.

7) Reconnect battery. No work? Check your connections, check for pinched wires, ensure secure link between harness and lights. Work? Proceed to 8.

8) You should've thoroughly cleaned the target area with alcohol before you started but do this now if you have not and wait a min for it to dry. Check diagram for positioning and remove adhesive backing, applying firm but not excessive pressure along the plate for a minute or so.

Repeat on others side. Clean up cables, trim zipties, foam tape possible vibration points (like harnesses)

9) Put your carpets back in order, and snap the white rings together making sure everything is INSIDE the rings at all times with its tray tables and seatbacks in their full, and upright position.

10) Do the rear sills by...just...stick em on there somewhere, give or take the diagram. Good enough.

Now my interior has some more splashes of light and color and I am overall very glad to have done both kits.

Apologies for the brevity of this how-to, but it's honestly pretty darn simple with a few caveats. The kit should've come with appropriately sized PosiTaps, the BCM is difficult to reach and work with, and the clips are even worse. The build quality of the sills are not perfect, a wire sheath tore and I had to repair it, and the rubberized border on one of the sills came rather jagged.

I support this mod. Paid around $150 for both lighting kits. Total time spent was a lot, but I was doing other things too. Probably 3-4 hours if you have to fight with access, but it could be done a lot quicker than that.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts