Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner
21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,180 Posts
Ok guys, I'm diving into this project. I just picked up a 370z rotor from Pep Boys, I've got a set of rebuilt Z32 calipers coming from Advanced Auto Parts, and some StopTech Z32 ceramic pads. All told, I'm $270 into this project (including shipping) and I'm only one rotor, two brackets and some misc hardware away from a big brake kit for the Juke. This is using all new (or rebuilt hardware).

So the plan is that I'll be prototyping these brackets out of ABS plastic and then designing the actual brackets in e-machineshop's design software (I'm stealing your idea bzzeigler). These brackets will be CNC cut out of aluminum (with steel thread inserts) or steel, depending on cost. I figure that the total cost will be under $400, and if it all works out, I'll be putting together Z32 bracket kits and offering them to you all for reasonable price.
HOW DARE YOU STEAL MY IDEA!:mad:

Nah, I kid. I think the ABS plastic for prototype fitting would probably be best.

Right now I don't have the time to be doing design work, sadly. I need to get that battery terminal built and crank out a few....

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Ok guys, I'm diving into this project. I just picked up a 370z rotor from Pep Boys, I've got a set of rebuilt Z32 calipers coming from Advanced Auto Parts, and some StopTech Z32 ceramic pads. All told, I'm $270 into this project (including shipping) and I'm only one rotor, two brackets and some misc hardware away from a big brake kit for the Juke. This is using all new (or rebuilt hardware).

So the plan is that I'll be prototyping these brackets out of ABS plastic and then designing the actual brackets in e-machineshop's design software (I'm stealing your idea bzzeigler). These brackets will be CNC cut out of aluminum (with steel thread inserts) or steel, depending on cost. I figure that the total cost will be under $400, and if it all works out, I'll be putting together Z32 bracket kits and offering them to you all for reasonable price.
Why not just see first if the Z32s will just bolt on the Juke, as they bolt on to many other Nissan vehicles. Also what kind of Z32s did you get, 26mm or 30mm?

·
Premium Member
1,180 Posts
Why not just see first if the Z32s will just bolt on the Juke, as they bolt on to many other Nissan vehicles. Also what kind of Z32s did you get, 26mm or 30mm?
Don't those other vehicles also have the same size rotor as the Z32s?

Sent from AutoGuide.Com Android App.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I ordered the 30mm calipers (91-96 NA, 90-96 Turbo ZX calipers). I don't think that they will bolt right up like they do on the b15 Sentras, as it seems that Nissan has moved away from narrow mount calipers entirely. The Juke (like the b16 Sentras) has wider mount calipers, though I haven't measured the bolt holes center-to-center yet. Looking at the Global-Z bracket kit (and googling Z32 brake conversions for many other vehicles) I can see in my mind's eye what needs to be done, but until I actually get the calipers in and start measuring and fitting parts, it's all just assumption.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
So I got a chance to dabble a little bit with the Z32/Z34 big brake option for the Juke and it looks like it will be doable with only a few issues, which I will list below.

Product Disc brake Auto part Wheel Rim
Land vehicle Alloy wheel Vehicle Tire Wheel
Land vehicle Alloy wheel Vehicle Tire Car

The Z32 caliper will not fit behind the stock wheels.
The 4 pot brakes from the 300ZX are just too fat to fit behind the stock alloys, even with the 370Z rotor sitting 5mm closer to the spindle. I tried spacing the stock wheel out with washers and determined that at the very least you would need a 10mm hubcentric spacer and longer wheel studs to make it work. On that note, I also tried 17x7.5 45mm offset Motegi MR125s (pictured) and had no issues with clearance running no spacer at all. I imagine that similar wheels will also work with little or no spacing.

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Alloy wheel Auto part
Tire Automotive tire Auto part Wheel Vehicle brake

The Z34 rotor sits further inboard than the stock rotor.
As noted previously, the 370Z rotor sits 5mm closer to the steering knuckle than the stock rotor, and is a full inch in diameter larger. This dimensional difference causes the splash guard and lower control arm to interfere with the inside face of the rotor. For purpose of the fit check, I simply bent the splash guard back, though for the final installation it should probably be removed entirely. As for the lower control arm, the rotor touched the sheet metal adjacent to the ball joint, which I remedied with a few quick swipes of a hand file.

Auto part Automotive lighting Subcompact car Vehicle
Bumper Automotive exterior Rim Strap

The bracket that I made for this fit check was constructed of 3/8” ABS sheet and overall I am very happy with the fit and clearances; the plan is to construct the final rendition out of 3/8” A36 hot rolled structural steel.

·
Administrator
12,520 Posts
what is the stopping distance like compared to stock.?

·
Registered
2,101 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Nissan has introduced Value Advantage brake rotors, they are way cheaper than the OEM ones so i will check pricing on them tomorrow when i go in. However unless you are tracking i'd be surprised if a better set of stock size rotors, performance pads & fluid, and braided lines wouldn't be enough of an upgrade for the majority of us.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My stock rotors warped within the first two weeks- Not terribly, but the wart comes out in high speed braking. Regarding a "better set of stock size rotors," do you have any suggestions on brands? The value advantage seem to be lower performance compared with the OEM variety.

·
Registered
767 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
My stock rotors warped within the first two weeks- Not terribly, but the wart comes out in high speed braking. Regarding a "better set of stock size rotors," do you have any suggestions on brands? The value advantage seem to be lower performance compared with the OEM variety.
EBC has front and rear rotors in a variety of styles, DBA has some sport slotted fronts in Australia but they don't stock them in the USA. Stoptech I think only has rears, TireRack actually has a pretty good selection of pads and rotors for the Juke but most of them are rears.
I'm going to try the standard 370z calipers and Stoptech 370z front rotors and see if they will bolt up in a month or two.

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
Has anyone gotten any further on this? I am thinking about doing this same thing. just wanted to see if anyone has started fabbing the bracket yet?

·
Registered
109 Posts
under 500$ FRONT+REAR KIT: DRILL & SLOT Brake Rotors + CERAMIC Pads

Im looking under 500$ FRONT+REAR KIT: DRILL & SLOT Brake Rotors + CERAMIC Pads

Front Rear Kit Platinum Hart Drill Slot Brake Rotors Ceramic Pads 2493 | eBay Platinum Hart 168$
Front Rear Kit Powersport Drilled Slotted Brake Rotors Ceramic Pads BZ13336 | eBay POWERSPORT 175$
Front Rear Kit Eline "Drilled and Slotted" Brake Rotors Ceramic Pads RA36133 | eBay ELINE 226$
Powerstop Front Rear 1 Click Drilled and Slotted Brake Kit K6095 | eBay PowerStop 258$ - order one, low int shipping
F R Kit Premier Series High Carbon Drilled Slot Brake Rotors Ceramic Pads R1187 | eBay PREMIER, HIGH CARBON 375$

21 - 40 of 59 Posts