Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is more for @Administrator but for anyone else that browses on a mobile device (especially iOS using Safari) please do the following:

• take a screenshot of the page or “pop up” that loads and hijacks the page you’re browsing
  • note what you were doing or what forum section or thread you were browsibg
  • copy the URL of the now hijacked page
  • put all of that info in this thread
Whenever I browse the forums from my phone outside of my home network (I have a Pihole Ad Blocker configured there) I get fairly frequent and regular hijacked pages. Sometimes it’s right as I load the page, sometimes I could be browsing for a bit then it hijacks and redirects. No this is not a problem with your internet or your device. No you do not have malware on your device. This is a specially and maliciously crafted Ad that will act as if you clicked on it and redirect you and it won’t let you use the browser back button because it infinitely redirects you.

·
Super Moderator
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Browsing the “what have you done to your Juke” thread. Could not copy the URL as I believe it was too long and would not paste into a note.

I then got another as I was on the main forum listing and trying to get to this section to post this thread. Unfortunately I did not get a screenshot.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I just did a little research and the problem isn't the forum. The problem appears to be a bad app installed on the affected user's device. Based on that research, I don't think that this is a valid forum topic as it is specific to you and your device. Might want to delete the topic so as not to created any unnecessary concern regarding the forum.

Do a google search of the message in your screenshot and you will find instructions on how to remove the bad app from your phone. Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
@Bargeld please do more research yourself. I searched the message within the popup and the first two links explain what this is. It is a platform agnostic maliciously crafted ad that hijacks a webpage. It uses JavaScript to execute code and cause the redirect and popup. The first link actually talks about a Samsung device being compromised. I have an iOS device. I never see these ads or hijacks when I am using my Pihole blocker because the DNS resolution is blocked. I also have an older iPad that I recently (3 months ago) wiped completely, did a factory restore (DFU mode) and have just the default apps installed. On the first visit to this forum website, I logged in and after browsing for about 3 minutes was hit with a pop-up redirection. You mean to tell me my virtually brand-new iPad with nothing on it has a bad app? I have the pop-up blocking features of Safari enabled on iOS. I have not jailbroken my phone, ever.

Do some research on pop-up mobile ads. Here's a reputable link: https://www.wired.com/story/pop-up-mobile-ads-surge-as-sites-scramble-to-stop-them/. Also, the technical term is called "Malvertising". I work with those in the Info-Sec field (Information Security) and this is not a new thing. In fact it's getting more and more difficult for Ad agencies and those who rely on these Ad services such as this forum to vet and approve ads. The ads know what device and browser you are using from the browser "User Agent String" which includes things like device, software/OS version, browser type and version, and browser options like JavaScript, etc.

Additionally, I have worked with @Administrator on this since even the old forums. They requested the ads, links, and screenshots be posted so they can escalate it to whoever manages their Ads. Other users have reported these on the forum before. I'm just putting this thread here so people have a place to report it.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I re-researched and my opinion is still the same. When I search "you must update your mobile cleaner now" I do not get the same results as you do. The results I get all refer to it being ad related, but not based on the ads you are seeing today, but on a malicious ad viewed previously and triggered from device cache.

Here is my reasoning:
I've never had this happen once. Since this is the first public mention of it on the forum, I assume the majority of other mobile forum users have not experienced it. The fact that a couple other users have had similar problems indicates that it is more probable that the users have the same device problem/malware on their local device.

If you have been working with admins at this for a long time without a positive solution, again, probability leads to the diagnosis being incorrect since the solutions based on a problem with live ads has not worked.

I am a 20 year IT professional and computer/technology guru and have been dealing with viruses, malware, adware, whatever the snappy name is for it today. Ive been doing web development in almost every major language out there and have held javascript only programming positions multiple times. No need to take my opinion as a personal affront to your knowledge. I simply try to help as best as I can. I would still suggest that you broaden your solution base to see if it actually is device specific and if cleaning caches and local data, bad apps, etc. will actually solve your problem. It's not a huge time sink and pretty painless unless you drop your phone on your foot when you are surprised it worked. If it doesn't work, then the mystery shall persist.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I wrote a post a while back (and because the new setup doesn't let you see "started threads" I can't find it quickly) but it was basically the same thing about popups and I'm ONLY on this forum on my desktop and it's a virus/malware/spyware free mega-beast. Still get popups from here. Only here. Ie: if I leave this window/tab open for a while after posting this or simply browsing it will change to a different page that makes me close the browser all together.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Lol nice post to choose to screen shot. I get that similar ad when not using Tapatalk on my Note 8. I'll try taking a screenshot later of it.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
You mean this one?

·
Registered
567 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts