Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new here and I searched for "i-con" so I hope there isn't a thread on this already...

But what do you guys think of that I-CON system? I think it's pretty neat how it's laid out, where you can touch a button and it switches all of the surrounding buttons to the Drive mode or Climate mode. I'm just kind of disappointed it's only available on SV trim, I wanted a base AWD model, but I'm assuming i'd get a standard system, which is no fun :rolleyes:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
well on nissan's site it says "available i-con system"
and it gives the trim levels and it only shows up under SV/SL, not base

Juke Trims

Really bummed, because I wanted to stay around 20k... but I really would like AWD, and if I wanted I-CON, I'd have to go to SV trim, and then get CVT AWD, which kicks me up to over 22k. They really should just include it on all models, that was really sorta a selling point for me...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Man, so that means I don't get to experience the Boost & Eco modes huh... I mean it probably won't be a huge difference, but like that one French guy said, it felt more responsive and tighter in all aspects, more fun... oh well, you can't always get whatcha want ;)

·
Registered
112 Posts
What is the option to not having the I-CON system?

If you have the situation in the US, of not having the I-CON system in the base model S, what does it come with instead?

How to choose modes (eco, sport, normal)? Do you even get these modes if no I-CON system?

·
Registered
271 Posts
I am wondering if the I-CON will really be worth it. Yeah, I agree it is really cool and a neat feature to show off, but some reviews say they do not notice much difference between the modes. I have the feeling it will get old pretty quick, so is it really worth it. For me, the main reasons for considering an SV over and S are the stock tint, sunroof, and intelligent key.

·
Registered
56 Posts
eco-normal and sport mostlikely same at what ntd throttle controller does im assuming..it does work wonders on electronic throttles.. its really just raising and dropping the voltage for gas pedal sensitivity..no power gain though..but i could be wrong.

·
Registered
122 Posts
eco-normal and sport mostlikely same at what ntd throttle controller does im assuming..it does work wonders on electronic throttles.. its really just raising and dropping the voltage for gas pedal sensitivity..no power gain though..but i could be wrong.
When you press the buttons for the different modes, there's 4 things it says it's adjusting:

• Engine
  • CVT
  • Steering
  • Climate
I don't think it's changing the overall performance of any of these things, just changing the general behaviors in which they operate. Hovers longer on the lower gears for acceleration, stiffens up steering a little for a more race car feel, etc.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
I would assume it would adjust everything except the transmission, since you can already control how you want that to act.

Also, you can definitely tell when it is in Eco mode. You have to push down much further on the pedal to get acceleration.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am wondering if the I-CON will really be worth it. Yeah, I agree it is really cool and a neat feature to show off, but some reviews say they do not notice much difference between the modes.
Any reviewer that notices little difference between the three modes was not doing anything but city and highway driving. They aren't worthy of the title automotive journalist.

I test drove an AWD Juke over the weekend with a salesman in the passenger seat who had yet to test drive the Juke. When I informed him that I was cross shopping the Mazda 3 and wanted to test the handling characteristics of the vehicle he took me to a wide open parking lot completely empty on the weekends. His confidence in me was bolstered by my knowledge of the vehicles, the technical terms I used to describe handling characteristics and where I told him I worked and what my job entailed. With that out of the way, my review of the I-Con modes.

The I-con system controls 4 things: the response of the throttle, the transmission, the steering feel, and the HVAC system. The three basic settings are sport, normal, and eco. In my test drive I had the HVAC system off because it sucks power from a car. I kept the car in Torque Vectoring mode and never in FWD mode.

Eco mode will increase your fuel economy at the expense of fun. Use it when stuck in traffic, or on a long haul cruise control trip. In this mode, the Juke felt and responded much like a hybrid.
Throttle Response: Washed out. I thought I was in a Prius.
Transmission: Low end of the power band for efficiency. Turns the Juke into a gutless wonder.
Steering Feel: It felt like a Jetta, or other mid range passenger car
HVAC: reduces AC/Heating to reduce engine load.

Normal mode turned the car into a slightly more responsive civic with a bigger engine.
Throttle Response: Very standard for any passenger car
Transmission: Compromise between fun and efficient. Mid band of power curve.
Steering Feel: Standard for any other sedan, same as ECO mode
HVAC: Saps power. Why use this on a test drive?

Sport mode transformed the juke into a vehicle that will put a grin on your face. The car turns into a vehicle that responds to your commands and tracks well through corners with light understeer.
Throttle Response: Peppy. A lead foot will get you a ticket.
Transmission: Higher RPM range up in the power band.
Steering Feel: Crisp and responsive. It felt like a Mazda 3
HVAC: How do I turn this off again?

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
useful info; thanks.

Although I MUST have full AC on me nearly 8 months of the year. I'm old; I'm fat; and I live in the desert.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
I am almost 90% positive that they don't change the steering response between normal and eco modes, which explains why it felt the same to you. I have only found Eco mode useful when in cruise, and even then if I want to pass someone I have to switch out of it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts