Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My battery is almost 5 years old. I let it die 3 times in total on me over its lifetime. I also run a lot of accessories, dash cam, phone, music.

Yesterday I didn't drive my Juke at all. I only turned it on for a few seconds to move it a few inches in my driveway (which is very bad as the battery can't replenish). Apart from that I didn't drive it at all that day (driven every day otherwise). Today when I went to start the car, I pushed the button, the car cranked a little, felt like the engine was about to fire up, but it sputtered out. Battery light flashed during. Pissed that I was going to miss work, I tried it another time, same thing, but this time as it was sputtering, I gave it some gas and it miraculously fired up. Drove it to work. Hopefully it starts when I go back home. Going to get a new battery from Costco tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Still on the original (2011) and there are weeks I don't drive.

As a matter of fact, I can't remember the last time I relaxed an automotive battery.

This past spring I finally replaced the 8 y/o original battery in our 2007 Harley.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Still on the original (2011) and there are weeks I don't drive.

As a matter of fact, I can't remember the last time I relaxed an automotive battery.

This past spring I finally replaced the 8 y/o original battery in our 2007 Harley.
Wow. Makes me almost think there is something wrong with my car. Sometimes when I'm at a red light it'll sputter like its going to turn off. I wonder if this is similar. Like vapor lock or something that caused the engine to do this today.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
FYI No such thing as vapor lock on EFI motors.

Most likely something electrical.

Where are you located, battery life will vary with ambient conditions? Extreme heat or cold will cut life, so can usage (as you already know, too many short trips won't charge us
It), etc.

·
Registered
2014 Juke Nismo FWD
1,363 Posts
Here in FL you have to be really lucky to get more than 3 years out of the stock battery. Mine is still fine but it's only at a year old still also.

FYI No such thing as vapor lock on EFI motors.

Most likely something electrical.

Where are you located, battery life will vary with ambient conditions? Extreme heat or come will cut life, so can usage (as you already know, too many short trips won't charge us
It), etc.
Yeah basically this, though I'm pretty sure that's not exactly what you meant to say.. :p

·
Registered
2014 Juke Nismo FWD
1,363 Posts

·
Premium Member
502 Posts
ﮎђ○∁kεD;2245273 said:
My battery is almost 5 years old. I let it die 3 times in total on me over its lifetime. I also run a lot of accessories, dash cam, phone, music.
As you probably know, letting the battery drain completely is one of the worst things you can do to a lead-acid battery. Especially one getting along in years. You should have your cells checked and battery analyzed for need of replacement. Pep Boys or any other battery/shop will be able to analyze your battery and charging system. Here is a pretty-good quick read on batteries.

Everything You Need to Know About Car Batteries | Completely Firestone | Firestone Complete Auto Care

·
Registered
2014 Juke Nismo FWD
1,363 Posts
As you probably know, letting the battery drain completely is one of the worst things you can do to a lead-acid battery. Especially one getting along in years. You should have your cells checked and battery analyzed for need of replacement. Pep Boys or any other battery/shop will be able to analyze your battery and charging system. Here is a pretty-good quick read on batteries.

Everything You Need to Know About Car Batteries | Completely Firestone | Firestone Complete Auto Care

Agreed, go to an autozone or advance auto or similar and they will check and diagnose your battery and electrical system for free usually (they do here). 5 years out of the stock battery and if has fully died on your several times in the past sounds to me like it's time for a replacement, hands down.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have a dashcam as well on mine, but i also have a power management system that shuts the dashcam off when the battery is at 12.2v.
When i come down to the garage of my condo in the morning, it is always shut off so I know it is working.

When I take it in for its oil change, i'm going to get Nissan to give the battery a good charge and see if that gets me through the winter OK as last winter I had a few issues starting in the cold.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I have a dashcam as well on mine, but i also have a power management system that shuts the dashcam off when the battery is at 12.2v.
Does your dashcam not power off on its own when you turn off the car or do you have one of those motion activated ones?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts