Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I own a 2012 juke(56kmiles) in the UK. I know most you are American but it seems there's a lot more make do mods for the juke here. My car has a 5 speed(yes I know this doesn't exist in the USA). Shifting is okay everything works. The car is a bit jerky in 1st and 2nd, I'm probably going to change the shifter cable. The shifter has some play in it only side to side I had a look inside the shifter( nothing seems broken)Any ideas on how to shorten the throw and make the shifting more smoother? (Yes I have changed the manual trans oil)

·
Registered
775 Posts
Jerkey when coming off the clutch has nothing to do with the shifter, that would be clutch engagement. Either you are releasing too fast, you have too much throttle on clutch release, your RPMs are too low when shifting, or your clutch engagement is such a small window you have little control over the speed of engagement.

All jukes have play in the shifter from side to side, it is from the way nissan made them using an all plastic assembly. You can either get a shifter tensioner (found here) or you can just live with it.

Shortening the throw will actually make the shifting experience LESS smooth. Short throw shifters are made to increase the speed and accuracy of shifting, but in the case of modern cars, that can sometimes create a numb feeling in the shifter, that makes it more difficult to tell what gear you are in because the shift gates are so close together. Larger throws create a larger gate area, which means a more certain shift.

Short throws are a 100% opinion based mod. It is about how you want your car to feel. However; You will not find many race cars rushing to get a short throw as a important mod over other things. Modern shifters have a very close gate compared to a car from the mid to late 90's when short throws where VERY popular. If you get into a car pre-lets-say-04, your talking about full arm extensions to go from second to third in some cars haha. A modern car like the juke, the gate is pretty small as is.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jerkey when coming off the clutch has nothing to do with the shifter, that would be clutch engagement. Either you are releasing too fast, you have too much throttle on clutch release, your RPMs are too low when shifting, or your clutch engagement is such a small window you have little control over the speed of engagement.

All jukes have play in the shifter from side to side, it is from the way nissan made them using an all plastic assembly. You can either get a shifter tensioner (found here) or you can just live with it.

Shortening the throw will actually make the shifting experience LESS smooth. Short throw shifters are made to increase the speed and accuracy of shifting, but in the case of modern cars, that can sometimes create a numb feeling in the shifter, that makes it more difficult to tell what gear you are in because the shift gates are so close together. Larger throws create a larger gate area, which means a more certain shift.

Short throws are a 100% opinion based mod. It is about how you want your car to feel. However; You will not find many race cars rushing to get a short throw as a important mod over other things. Modern shifters have a very close gate compared to a car from the mid to late 90's when short throws where VERY popular. If you get into a car pre-lets-say-04, your talking about full arm extensions to go from second to third in some cars haha. A modern car like the juke, the gate is pretty small as is.
Hi Thank you for replying so quick I initially thought this too maybe I am too quick but the juke doesn't feel like any of the other cars I've driven from the 2012 time. Sometimes the bite point seems very vague but I've showed multiple mechanics and they said it's fine. I'll probably hold off on a short shifter then. The Jerkyness is annoyingly present especially in gear 1 and 2, going over humps it feels like it's going stall out (happens in reverse too almost stalling) then suddenly it fixes its self. It goes up to 110mph fine but it feels like its holding back something. There's slight random burning smell once every 2 months too but at unusual times when it's just cruising at 70mph. Oh also it's naturally aspirated 1.6 instead of the typical turbo. Maybe I'm being too picky but hope nothings wrong.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There are a few things you can do to improve the shifting in your juke car.
First, make sure the transmission fluid is at the correct level and is clean. Old, dirty transmission fluid can cause shifting problems.

Second, check the shifter cables to ensure they are adjusted properly. If the cables are too loose, it can cause problems with shifting into gear.

Third, if your juke car has manual transmission, make sure the clutch is adjusted properly. A slipping clutch can also cause shifting problems.

Finally, if you're still having problems with shifting, it's possible that there could be an issue with the actual transmission itself.
Hi Thank you for the reply, after changing the transmission fluid twice the shifter feels somewhat smoother again. Car is still a bit jerky. I don't think the clutch is adjustable.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts