Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got the PowerFlex bushings installed but i'm having one hell of a time fitting the arms back in. Currently with the suspension at full droop the arms are angled too far down to fit back into the subframe, however if I leave the ball joint disconnected I can get it in but then the wheel hub is too low and there is not enough give to push the arm down with all my body weight. I have also tried jacking from the wheel hub but once it's under load it's impossible to shift anything, and using a rubber mallet does nothing.

At this point i'm ready to flat bed it to a shop and let them deal with it but I'd like to get it done myself if possible. Any help is appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
2,276 Posts
I remember @FastReligion did a control arm video with some "normal" tools. Maybe he can give some hints/tricks to get you all the way.

·
Administrator
11,913 Posts
You can try to email FR from his website too.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I remember @FastReligion did a control arm video with some "normal" tools. Maybe he can give some hints/tricks to get you all the way.
You can try to email FR from his website too.
i think i might try unbolting the bottom of the strut from the hub so i can get more movement out of it and bolt it back together after. if only Nissan used a normal design lol

·
Registered
705 Posts
Installing the control arms with those bushings is very tricky, and if you do not have a lift, can be sketchy. The boxed control amrs make it a bit easier too, as you can use a pry bar on the control arm itself. What you need to do is get the bushing side installed in the subframe. Then, you need to get a friend over, and buy them many many beers. Remove the knuckle from the strut, being sure not to drop it and damage the brake line or ABS wires. Put the knuckle onto the control arm. DO NOT bolt it together yet, just get the ball joint into its slot. Now for where your friend comes in.

Have them press down on the knuckle/boll joint whilst keeping it as straight up and down as possible. Putting weights on the control arm can help if your friend isn't bulky, as it will just add a little bit more give to move the control arm down. While they are holding the knuckle, you need to get just one of the strut bolts caught. Doesn't even have to be the bolt. IF you have a decent sized screw driver, slide it through one of the bolt holes to get the strut attached to the knuckle. If you can manage to do that, then it is just a matter of prying around with the screw driver to line up the other bolt hole to install the actual bolt.

It is very hard, and will take time. Wear work gloves, or even thick mig welding gloves if your the one holding parts in place, as you are bound to slip. Having a third person to hold the brake pedal down helps as well, as it stops the hub from spinning.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Installing the control arms with those bushings is very tricky, and if you do not have a lift, can be sketchy. The boxed control amrs make it a bit easier too, as you can use a pry bar on the control arm itself. What you need to do is get the bushing side installed in the subframe. Then, you need to get a friend over, and buy them many many beers. Remove the knuckle from the strut, being sure not to drop it and damage the brake line or ABS wires. Put the knuckle onto the control arm. DO NOT bolt it together yet, just get the ball joint into its slot. Now for where your friend comes in.

Have them press down on the knuckle/boll joint whilst keeping it as straight up and down as possible. Putting weights on the control arm can help if your friend isn't bulky, as it will just add a little bit more give to move the control arm down. While they are holding the knuckle, you need to get just one of the strut bolts caught. Doesn't even have to be the bolt. IF you have a decent sized screw driver, slide it through one of the bolt holes to get the strut attached to the knuckle. If you can manage to do that, then it is just a matter of prying around with the screw driver to line up the other bolt hole to install the actual bolt.

It is very hard, and will take time. Wear work gloves, or even thick mig welding gloves if your the one holding parts in place, as you are bound to slip. Having a third person to hold the brake pedal down helps as well, as it stops the hub from spinning.
I got it all bolted up on saturday. Had to do it solo but it wasn't too bad, i'm pretty sure it was just dumb luck honestly. My only issue now is the bushings slip inside the control arm. I had a shop put a few tack welds on the one that was obvious but i'm going back later this week for the other side.

·
Registered
705 Posts
The inner metal bushing should be the exact same size as the poly bushing. They physically should not have any up and down play. photo?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts