Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 Nissan Juke SL with roughly 150,000 miles and the check engine light came on the other day. I was experiencing hesitation when hitting the gas when driving the same day that the engine light came on. The codes were P0171 and P0302. I was hoping by fixing the #2 cylinder misfire that this would solve my problem. I replaced the ignition coil in cylinder #2 and replaced all the spark plugs. Upon trying to drive it the car started up fine and the hesitation when hitting the gas seemed to be lessened but did not go away completely. After clearing the codes I tried to start the car up again. It was a very rough start with a stumbling idle which smoothed out in about 30 seconds and when trying to drive it again the hesitation was back. I tried starting it numerous times to see if maybe the rough start would go away however upon each start it seemed like it was having problems. I've read numerous other forums trying to see if I could pinpoint my exact issue but have yet to run across anything. I thought maybe it could be the fuel injectors. Any thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
11,602 Posts
Well you asked for Internet diagnosing. Try replacing both O2 sensors.

·
Super Moderator
11,602 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
OP did you ever resolve your issue and if so how. I'm having the same two codes on my Daughter's Juke. I'm trying to gather as much info as i can before I trouble shoot the different areas this weekend.

·
Super Moderator
2,152 Posts
@lyonmaster it might be a sticky injector on cylinder 2. to rule out a spark plug or ignition coil (P0302), move the ignition coil to cylinder 3 and the spark plug to cylinder 4. If you get a P0302 it's something with cylinder 2 and possibly the injector, P0303 you have a failing coil, P0304 you have a bad spark plug (but you can inspect and compare them when you remove it). Also take a multimeter and ohm out all of the injectors and coils to see if one is out of spec and sticks out from the rest. I've experienced the cylinder misfire before, and those were my troubleshooting steps.

EDIT: other things to check: make sure PCV valve isn't stuck and causing a vacuum leak. Make sure no other hoses or pipes downstream of the MAF are cracked or causing a vacuum leak. If you remove the upper intercooler pipe, inspect the gasket on the turbo compressor outlet and replace it (it's a one time use gasket).

Reactions: lyonmaster

·
Registered
58 Posts
Replaced the PCV valve Saturday when I changed her oil and did a CVT spill and fill. I'll check the other trouble areas as well. The codes popped again up last night on her way home from work. I'll just let her drive my Juke until I can work on hers.

That being said, thank you I was just looking for the process to trouble shoot the coil packs. Spark plugs were replaced less than 12 months ago, but I’ll check and gap those to spec. I found 13's post on the fuel injector cleaning, so I will begin with the diagnostic tests to confirm good spark plug, good compression, good fuel pressure, and good coil pack.

I have the fuel pressure test kit, just need to see what else I need to acquire. At least I’m in the office this week for a project verification, so Harbor freight is right down the road. I'm leaning toward the idea that the injector might need to be serviced because I get both of the codes listed in this thread. After all this crap with the CVT, I just downloaded all the service manual and put the files in a folder so I can advance search key words.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Think we have a winner. First test: Coil Pack
Took out Coil pact #2 and swapped with Coil pack #3. Cleared codes and ran a drive cycle, P0303 popped indicating misfire on cylinder #3 now. Look at the two photos, the first is coil pack #2. Notice the lichtenberg marks on the top of the insulator. Second picture is of coil pack #3, no marks and the spark plug lacks excessive carbon. Hopefully this will address the P0171 code as well. If not i'll run the compression test then maybe pull the injectors/fuel rail and send them to 13's contact in Tampa.

Reactions: squirtbrnr

·
Registered
58 Posts
Update: Replaced defective coil pack and the issue is now resolved. The codes still remain as permanent, but will clear after a few drive cycles. Remember, i swapped the bad coil pack to #3 no code on that cylinder just the previous two codes. Test drive: Drives 100% better, no spiting and sputtering misfires. Thanks for the help everyone.

Reactions: squirtbrnr
1 - 10 of 10 Posts