Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife fell in love with her 2015 Juke when we bought it new on Maui. Since I'm the Chief Mechanic and it just had its first issue (O2 sensor) I decided to join and see what sorts of cool stuff I can do to her car. It's a well traveled Juke. Japan to LA and back to Maui then to Seattle all by boat.

Our other car is a 2020 Nissan Frontier.

Details:
Year - 2015
Model - S
Color - K23 silver
Mileage - 23,400.

Humorous aside; we traded in a 2010 Chevy Silverado with 30,000 miles on it that we had shipped over when we moved to Maui. The house we bought had 2 major issues. 1. the truck didn't fit in the garage. 2. we couldn't park on the street. So off we went looking for a replacement. The dealer asked what it would take to drive home in the Juke. My wife said we give you the keys to the truck and you give us the keys to the Juke. Nothing else. They actually agreed to it!

Car Tire Vehicle Land vehicle Wheel

·
Super Moderator
2,470 Posts
Nice! Welcome to the forum. I’ve always wondered about cars shipped by boat between Hawaii and the contiguous 48 states. I was in Hawaii 6 months ago and saw a number of other state license plates (Missouri, California, and Texas mostly). I figured they were military or other enlisted forces family or personal vehicles shipped over for the duration of the tour/service/duty.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice! Welcome to the forum. I’ve always wondered about cars shipped by boat between Hawaii and the contiguous 48 states. I was in Hawaii 6 months ago and saw a number of other state license plates (Missouri, California, and Texas mostly). I figured they were military or other enlisted forces family or personal vehicles shipped over for the duration of the tour/service/duty.
On Oahu that's true about out of state plates. The other islands lack major military installations so the police there are VERY quick to cite you for not changing over to the VERY expensive rainbow plates and getting the very your drivers license. I got pulled over the first day our cars got delivered to Maui.

The thing that I find ridiculous is that everything coming from foreign countries has to go to a mainland port first then put on a US flagged ship and sent to Hawaii (and Puerto Rico/US Virgin Islands) because of the Jones Act. So cars get (at least) a quick $2,000 adder even though the boat from the orient sailed right by Hawaii.

The mileage is low on the Juke because it's only a 108 mile trip around the entire island of Maui. Keeping it in a garage (another thing hard to find there) helped with the finish staying nice and washing the under carriage kept the rust at bay.

·
Administrator
12,664 Posts
Nice Juke. Welcome !!!

Reactions: Antennahead2021
1 - 4 of 4 Posts