Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
985 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
I have the same problem. Took it into the dealership and complained with the e-brake fully extended the car would roll back. After getting it "fixed" I noticed zero difference.

A friend of mine mentioned a trick to tighten them up that has to do with driving in rever and coming to a complete stop as quickly possible/pumping a couple of times
to correct issue. I did some research online and it seem like it maybe a viable option. I have yet to try it but plan on it for ****s and giggles to see if there is a difference.

https://community.cartalk.com/t/fixing-drum-brakes-by-backing-up/66045/5

Emergency Brake Or Parking Brake Will Not Hold – Auto Repair Help

Automatic adjustment applying the brakes and parking brake WHILE TRAVELING IN REVERSE.
I have had good luck adjusting the rear shoes while applying the parking brake and regular brakes repeatedly while driving in reverse. This type of braking causes the type of shoe rocking action necessary for the automatic tensioner to move tighter in response to the spring loaded ratchet lock that is supposed to turn it. If your tensioner mechanism is properly lubricated, not corroded or excessively dirty, this will probably work for you.
Drive slowly in reverse and apply the parking brake MILDLY (about halfway or 3-5 clicks) to get the front shoe snug against the drum. Apply the brake PEDAL in pumping fashion to get the rear shoe to periodically grab against the drum resulting in a rocking action between the front and rear shoe. The tensioner assembly cannot be overly tightened in this way due to the light force applied by the ratcheting lever. When you are satisfied, release the parking brake and test the brakes by driving forward normally. Alternatively and a little more tricky to pull off, one can alternatingly apply the parking brake and the regular foot brake in alternating fashion to achieve the type of brake shoe rocking action necessary to tighten the rear. This is tricky with the way the parking brake works, but with a little practice, can be done and works very well.
You should immediately notice firmer pedal if your rear brakes were too loose and your adjustment method was successful. Don't be surprised if you suddenly have very touchy brakes! You may notice a slight burnt smell after driving a few miles. This is just the rear brakes seating in. Most likely, they have never been properly adjusted before and some material is now touching the drum during braking that never touched before. If the smell doesn't go away after a few miles or something doesn't feel right, stop immediately and have the system checked out by a professional or remove the wheel yourself and see if something is wrong. Most likely, your Tundra's brakes will feel better then they ever have and you will have much more confidence when stopping under all conditions including panic stops and when towing.
I find myself using procedure #4 on a regular basis about every three weeks or so. It's easy to do when backing out of the driveway or similar situation and will keep the rear shoes snug and working well.
Once the rear brake shoes are adjusted properly, you may need to adjust the parking brake cable.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Reverse tricks don't work.

Get a 10mm long tube spanner, remove some parts from center console, tighten, test, retighten.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. I plan on working on this issue in the upcoming days as sometime if I do not pull the arm rest and pull the e-brake all the way up the car will roll when I'm on anything steeper than 35-45 degree hill.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. I plan on working on this issue in the upcoming days as sometime if I do not pull the arm rest and pull the e-brake all the way up the car will roll when I'm on anything steeper than 35-45 degree hill.
Tell the dealership to fix it for you and if they can't tell them to give you a new car it's a safety issue and not something that the dealer should take lightly.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Tell the dealership to fix it for you and if they can't tell them to give you a new car it's a safety issue and not something that the dealer should take lightly.
I agree 100% but if it's something I can easily fix on my own I don't mind adjusting.

I'm a DIY kind of guy that doesn't mind getting his hands dirty.

If I can't figure it out when I get time to work on my exhaust rattle I will just head over to my dealership and mention it's the 2nd time bringing the car in for same issue. Unfortunatley there are no hills near the dealership so it's hard for them to reproduce the issue. SMH

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.