Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The shop I trust and has done some other work for me informed me probably 9-ish months ago my front lower ball joints had some serious play in them and need to be replaced. I've also noticed the steering and general handling has been quite sloppy. My Juke sits parked more than I drive it, but I also drive short trips and sometimes drive the snot out of it. Combine that with 86.5K miles on crappy WI roads and I'm sure the ball joints have a lot of slop. I feel it most when I take a turn and there's a little bump or skip and I slide a little sideways. There's a lot of shifting and just an unnatural side shake. Also I can't hold much of a straight line without the car feeling like it's walking a little side to side almost as if there's a crosswind and I have to continually correct the steering. No, it's not my tires or alignment because my Juke did this on my last set of tires too.

According to Nissan the part for my Juke is 54500-1KA0B (RH) and 54501-1KA0B (LH). These have been superseded by 54500-5SN1A and 54501-5SN1A. So I did a little looking and tried to find the RS "boxed" control arms complete with the ball joint and bushings and asked the shop to install them. My quick research shows the original part number for these are 54500-3YW0A (RH) and 54501-3YW0A (LH). These parts have been superseded by 54500-5SN1B and 54501-5SN1B. some parts websites show these 4 parts will not fit my model Juke, however other parts websites (those directly associated with a dealership) show my model Juke as well as many other Juke model years and trim levels under the "This part fits:" tab.

My shop received the 5SN1A control arms and I can confirm they do not have the little box section at the ball joint. I asked them to reach out to their parts supplier (pretty sure it's the local Nissan dealership) and order the 5SN1B control arms to compare and ultimately install. They are supposed to call me in the morning with what they find out.

I searched pretty heavily through this forum for threads and posts that talk about the RS control arms and I found many where someone said "upgrade to the RS control arms". But, none of them actually have part numbers or confirmation that the RS control arms actually fit any other Juke, etc. Seems like everyone says to do it, but no one has actually tried? 🤷‍♂️

I will post any updates as well as final results once I pick up my Juke tomorrow. While the shop has it, they are also installing the FR subframe mount bushings and doing an alignment.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Having tested the boxed and not boxed control arms; stability wise they make no difference. The section they have boxed is not large enough to make the structure fully rigid. Nissan used the same boxed arms in the b17 sentra as well. If you buy the sentra arms, they are cheaper than the Nismo RS arms. It is just another case of Nissan charging extra for "RS" parts that they take off of other vehicles.

Another recent example of this I have found is the current gen altima brakes. The caliper for the current Gen altima is cheaper to buy at Nissan than the RS calipers. They are the same caliper. The RS ones just come with red paint on them. wooooo. lol

·
Super Moderator
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well that sucks. charging more for the same part just because of a label. I did see your post in other LCA threads talking about the box section how it functionally doesn't do anything different than the non-boxed LCA. In the case of one member where the LCA snapped, the boxed section wouldn't have even prevented that. Then I saw your 80% boxed LCA.

As for an update, now I know why some people haven't tried this or never reported back. The shop could only order the required parts based on the VIN. Their supplier as I suspected is the local Nissan dealership and they could only get the parts specific to the VIN. In my case, they could only order the 5SN1A. Now the thing I absolutely hate about the dealership is they started to feed a line of BS to the shop saying the 5SN1A supersedes all other parts and there is no "B" part. While this is technically correct for my 2013 SL AWD, it is not entirely true as the 5SN1B is available and a compatible fit part. So the shop had their hands tied and could only order the "A" part if I wanted even a shred of warranty. If I had ordered the "B" part myself and brought it in, my shop would have installed them but there would be absolutely no warranty on it. They're pretty nice about putting parts on for me, but when it comes to repairs, they mostly stick to the book.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Gotta go to a sketchier dealership. The one I go through will order up any part number you wish, so long as you do not return a special order. Or just order through npd

1 - 4 of 4 Posts