Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner

341 - 360 of 369 Posts

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #341
I'm not sure how big gallon wise but you can fit 3, 6 cavity molds inside
Those would be awesome. They look like they would fit the Juke engine block, which is roughly 19" x 16" x 11" or so.
I'd love to have a high end Ultrasonic cleaning tank, but I don't have the budget for something that high end.
What kind of work do you do?

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Automation engineering machinist. And I make mounts on the side for jukes and sentras lol 😎. The automation part is troubleshooting issues with Epson and fanuc robots the machinist part is when i make my own end of arm tooling for said robots and the cleaning tank is because we also have 40 injection molding machines and over 150 different molds that are constantly changed over.

·
Super Moderator
10,536 Posts
Noob is a Nerd....... ;)

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Lol just a little bit

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #345
That's sounds like a pretty cool job. Most of the injection mold tooling I've seen is done overseas and they just shoot it here. What kind of product do you guys mold?

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Its all agricultural grade sprinklers and regulators. My job is to automate the manufacturing process.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #347 (Edited)
That's a cool job, I work with an ex-automation engineer, you guys have all the fun.

I decided to clean up the upper oil pump case while waiting for my sonic cleaner. Oh boy, that wasn't fun. I ended up using Maguire's Mag wheel cleaner, CLR dilute 50% w/water, Meguier's Aluminum polish applied with a toothbrush & wiped off with a rag. Finally to bring the shine back I simply used a Brass brush which worked amazing actually, then final Brake clean solvent to clean the surface. I think the Brass brush coated with Aluminum polish would probably be a better step but I didn't have a small enough brush to do it. I'm going to switch to a dremel rotating brass brush instead of the steel one to strip the stubborn corrosion off. The steel brushes leave swirl marks, the brass doesn't seem to dig into the aluminum but tends to knock off the surface corrosion pretty good. If I then used one of those rotary buffing wheels on a drill, it'd probably finish it off nicely. Finally, to wipe the polish look off, I would hit it with the Meguires mag cleaner to give it a more matte look. Weird process, but you gotta polish it then almost etch the polish to knock it back down, gives that nice OEM look. The Ultrasonic cleaner will then be used to knock off some of the stubborn corrosion and give the final prep before the rebuild. Lot's off steps to it, but it can be done.

Anyway, this is what it takes without bead blasting. You can compare it to the inside of the casting which looks nearly identical to the outside. The castings are really tough to clean because they have so many impurities. With the Ultrasonic cleaner on multiple passes, it'll be OEM new.

·
Super Moderator
1,730 Posts
sorry for the off topic, fellow automation engineer here. mostly conveyor systems and food processing for me, but currently in the middle of a large project with dual overhead manipulators moving aircraft grade metal parts from storage racks to heat treat furnaces (2200F+) to quench pools and back. Nothing like a 100 ton manipulator bridge with a 20,000 lb load on some forks hanging off a movable hydraulic mast moving at 1.2 m/s (4 ft/s) covering a football field in a little over a minute.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #349
Good stuff, keep it coming. I want to get more into PLC programming on the test equipment we have at work. I helped develop a cycle test rack for pressure testing our valve products but I had to farm out the PLC programming to an outside firm. I've been wanting to mess around with some HMI programming. Any recommendations for DYI stuff, not looking for Allen Bradley mega prices. Any thoughts on that?

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Idec is pretty easy to learn and offer free training when you purchase a hmi

·
Super Moderator
1,730 Posts
Unfortunately I'm a Rockwell/A-B guy using RSView32, FactoryTalk View SE and ME. I've gotten certifications in WonderWare InTouch and Archestra, but don't do enough of it to really know what I'm doing. GE iFIX is just backwards and difficult in my opinion. I mostly use Studio5000 for PLC programming. I've used a Siemens PLC, but only in training classes. There is a java based HMI programming suite called Ignition. I've only ever seen it, but I think it's free, you just need a license if you want to actually download the project to a physical HMI. For training, if your employer has a Rockwell/A-B distributor, they should be able to get lab material and lab stations for training for free. some distributors will hold training classes and events, but some will actually loan out the kits. Otherwise, I have a few lab books in digital form somewhere.

·
Super Moderator
10,536 Posts
sorry for the off topic, fellow automation engineer here. mostly conveyor systems and food processing for me, but currently in the middle of a large project with dual overhead manipulators moving aircraft grade metal parts from storage racks to heat treat furnaces (2200F+) to quench pools and back. Nothing like a 100 ton manipulator bridge with a 20,000 lb load on some forks hanging off a movable hydraulic mast moving at 1.2 m/s (4 ft/s) covering a football field in a little over a minute.
Oh man you would love the see the Plant I worked at for 32 years.

Carpenter Technology in Reading Pa. Specialty Alloy plant.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #353
OK, change of plans.

Supplier had (1) unit left, it was damaged, they freaking canceled my order.

So.......I'm building a Vapor Hone blasting system instead. These systems are the absolute badass in surface finishing. It'll shoot a glass/water & air slurry at the aluminum, or whatever media I chose. The surface finish is insane, it's like a factory shiny sandcast polish look. Media doesn't embed into the surface, no-surface damage, metal pores get closed up, feels nice. The grit size used is 40 to 80, so small glass. Plenty of youtube videos on DYI systems. Basically consists of: Harbor Freight Blasting cabinet ($189), Stainless Trash pump 4250 gph ($80 ebay), plenty of 5/8" tygon hose, make shift bucket agitator, Ebay slurry injection gun ($36), 6 gal bucket, silicon to seal up the cabinet, etc. All in about $360-$380 ish. I'll probably get the Ultrasonic cleaner afterwards cause why not.

I can fit the entire engine block with ease into the Harbor Freight blasting cabinet. I didn't need another project, but this is almost calling my name at this point. I can switch to Soda blasting too as a final cleaner, so probably some dual use out of this rig.

·
Super Moderator
1,730 Posts
Harbor Freight
Ah The Hazard Fraught store, or the Horrible Fright store. The best place to buy a tool you'll only use once. But you're building a better tool, so it should immediately be better.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #355
Lol. My rule is no moving parts, no jack stands.....I should be safe with Harbor Freight.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #356
Got the blast cabinet home and built, holy crap that took awhile, 5 hours. Need the window put on still. Lots of screws. Panels are about .036”thk, .046” with the powder coat. Flimsy but when bolted together fairly strong. Very nice though. I might go back in and add some rivets to to keep the panel joints more flat since they have foam insulation compressed between them.

I also bought a shop vac to assist for dry blasting air handling, plugs right into to cabinets side. The blast gun is pretty cheap but that is really the only working part of the cabinet. That’ll be getting replaced by a larger eBay slurry Venturi adapter hooked up to the high flowing trash pump that’ll feed it. That’ll be the new blast gun. The pump I might design a bypass and trigger on the gun tip to prevent dead heading the pump while allowing trigger shutoff.

The hopper is now only used as a return sump to a 6 gallon bucket since I can’t hold the liquid in the hopper directly nor will it hold the slurry pump.

Difference from an air blast gun is that the Venturi air from the compressor, the motive force, is being assisted by the slurry pump pressure to push the slurry out the tip. This is super mega simple. Because I’m now running water, I’m going to silicon the internal joint seems to keep them water tight. Some guys fit windshield washers to the inside window as well. I’m tryin to find some fine glass bead media and rubber stopper plugs for the oil galleys. The gasket joints can be painter blue taped off.

It’ll probably take me another week of gathering parts then I should be ready to try it out. I’ll post some pictures.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Where the Pics maan! I love pics of new toys!

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I do crazy tool combos too! Like I have a shop fox bench top drill with a $1100 vine from a 5th axis mounted on it. lol

Reactions: Macgyver

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #359
Yeah, post up pictures of the shop fox, curious to see what it looks like.

Lol......pics coming tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator
10,536 Posts
I have a Miter saw set up in my small shed. LOL.

341 - 360 of 369 Posts