Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am New to gdi engines, but I have read that's it important to have your valves cleaned on a regular basis. Is this true?

·
Super Moderator
1,769 Posts
Yes. This is why we and Nissan recommend getting an induction cleaning service every once in a while. Whether you do it yourself with seafoam or any product that has PEA in it or you let the dealership do it, you will see an increase in responsiveness and performance. PEA is like seafoam version 2.0 or seafoam on steroids.

The science behind it is in a traditional engine, the gas and air are mixed in the intake plenum right before the intake valves enter the cylinder. This allows the detergents in the gas and the gas itself to contact the backside of the valves and wash them while entering the cylinder. In a GDI engine the gas is injected directly into the cylinder so the detergents and gas don’t come in contact with the valves as much. Some people will argue it doesn’t contact the valves at all but this all depends on injector to valve location relationship, injector spray pattern, and injector spray timing (our engine actually does a double shot, once at the beginning of the intake stroke and one near the end of the compression stroke just before the ignition/power stroke). Of course the exhaust valves will see similar carbon build up between both styles of engines, but that’s what the heat from ignition takes care of and with the help of PEA can loosen and burn that carbon buildup in the cat or expel it altogether.

·
Super Moderator
10,700 Posts
The Gen2 motor is better with the build up. Some car engine designs are better than others.

What it really comes down to me is:

What squirtbrnr said. Induction cleaning can be amazing. I felt the difference with my 2012 at 26K miles.

bg44k is a good in tank once a year product

Dont baby the car.

Change your oil often and use a good synthetic.

Run the best gas you can.

Worst case is getting a walnut blasting every at a 100k miles.

The Juke is not a bad motor with this issue. BMWs can be a real problem.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any doit yourself tips on intake cleaning? Dealer wants 180 bucks for the service.

·
Super Moderator
10,700 Posts
$180 is worth it if something messes up. Its on them.

·
Super Moderator
1,769 Posts
pay the $180 and enjoy the Juke. that's a steal of a price, mine wanted $400 for CVT drain and fill and induction cleaning.

·
Premium Member
2,562 Posts
BG Chemicals GDI induction cleaning service is where it's at. I performed this on my RS last month after noticing slight build up on the intake valves when I had to replace my high pressure fuel pump. The setup uses chemicals pressurized to 100psi and sprayed through a very fine nozzle that fits in where the IAT/BOOST sensor is just before the throttle body. Takes about 45 minutes for the engine to burn all the chemicals and must be done on a hot engine and revved up about 1 a minute to prevent chemical flooding of the intake manifold. This stuff will make the engine run super rich at idle hence why you must rev up engine periodically to prevent flooding. My AEM wideband gauge was registering 10.1-10.5 AFR at idle during this cleaning and when revving engine it would pop and crackle when RPMs where falling back down after revving engine. I plan to do this cleaning about 15-20k miles for peak performance.

At the same time I also performed the BG Chemicals EPR kit which is Engine Performance Restoration and is a 3 part chemical. 44k, 109, and MOA is what this consists of. 44k goes in the gas tank and acts as a fuel system cleaner. 109 goes in the old oil on a hot engine and idle for about 20 minutes, but I left it in there for the whole GDI cleaning service. Once the time is up you drain the oil and change the filter and add in the MOA with the new oil. The 109 is a super strong cleaner that breaks down varnish and sludge and smells extremely atrocious and will burn your skin if you get some on it. The MOA is an oil lubricity additive. 109 is not the same as Seafoam so do not use Seafoam. 109 has lubricity additives in it whereas Seafoam does not which is why you can experience issues with bearing damage if you leave Seafoam in too long.

·
Super Moderator
10,700 Posts
Pics will be coming in a while. Someone is taking his motor apart and is going to post pics !!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
What is the recommended interval for intake valve cleaning for the Juke?
I think, like most things, it depends.
If you have relatively clean valves to begin with, a spray bottle like CRC with every oil change will help keep them under control. These are intentionally relatively mild to prevent breaking off carbon in chunks and need to be used regularly to prevent buildup. (10k miles or with every oil change is what CRC recommends)
A professional chemical cleaning that takes off more, would have a longer interval (maybe 20-30K miles?).
A mechanical cleaning like walnut shell blasting (to be used to remove heavy deposits) would be used at a longer interval (BMW seems to recommend 40-50k miles).

Of course, you could use a combination...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts