Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner

Full Head Replacement

7K views 17 replies 5 participants last post by  Macgyver 
#1 ·
Working on my sisters Juke and the valves are shot. Was told the best route would be to replace the whole head with a rebuilt one from autozone, Napa, or the like. could do and engine swap. Any recommendations on which head to use.

#2 ·
According to what I know. Just do an engine swap. It takes about the same amount of time anyway.

#6 ·
#7 ·
Engine swap...no way. Stock engines hold up great.

New head is $1000. A rebuilt head is $500-$800 from a machine shop. Most recommend replacing the exhaust valves which is another $100 and the guide seals which are about $96. Camshafts need to be reused. New head is the fastest and most economical way to go. Pulling the head is easier than pulling an engine.

Reactions: CntryBoyCanSurvive
#11 ·
Engine swap...no way. Stock engines hold up great.

New head is $1000. A rebuilt head is $500-$800 from a machine shop. Most recommend replacing the exhaust valves which is another $100 and the guide seals which are about $96. Camshafts need to be reused. New head is the fastest and most economical way to go. Pulling the head is easier than pulling an engine.
Thanks everyone. I've decided to pull engine and rebuild it. After this advice I looked into the cost of rebuilding this one and it was way cheaper than even a fairly high millage swap. Thank you so much

#8 ·
^^^ This guy would know.

I know the timing chain can be accessed and replaced entirely through the front passenger wheel well because that's how the TSB stated it should be done (plus the fact that's how my dealership did mine way back in the day). Once you get the timing chain loose you can remove the cams. Then there's not much else holding the head down except for the intake manifold, exhaust/turbo manifold, and some head bolts. May not be the easiest to do with the engine still in the car, but it's possible.

#9 ·
Yeah, exactly. Turbo manifold a little tricky I suppose. That’s why I’m dropping the front cat so I can access the turbo and manifold much easier in the future. I for sure won’t be pulling the motor again if I can help it.

#10 ·
I was quoting what Fast Religion told me. Replacing a head vs replacing a motor. He would remove and replace the motor as it is almost the same amount of time and effort. If you can get a decent used motor.

#12 ·
For the labor of pulling and replacing a motor, putting a rebuild back into it is a wise move. Those used motors are a crap shoot.

I put together a spreadsheet for my engine rebuild to track the costs and get an idea how bad it was gonna be. I'm at least up near $6k on the motor/head, though it's built to handle some serious boost. I'd think a standard rebuild could be done for around $2500 or so. I tried to reuse all the castings (engine block, cylinder head, timing cover, camshafts, crankshafts). Anything that is a pump, bearing, chain, seal, pistons, rods........got thrown away. All of the intake valves, exhaust valves, springs, retainers, etc. also got thrown out. I'm reusing the variable cam but replacing the solenoids that drive them, new timing chains and tensioners. That to me makes sense but there's more than one way to do a build.

#14 ·
What is Nissans cost of the block rebuilt. Like a warranty block they would use. Then use a local shop to rebuild the head ?

#15 ·
Mac, Nissan short block is $2400.

Cntryboy,

I’m using Nissanpartsdeal.com. They have by far the lowest prices, you’ll save 15-20% versus the online Nissan dealerships. Rock auto also has some good deals but you then get the generic parts and they don’t have everything. If you need some of the technical documentation, just PM me.

#16 ·
I was just curious. What a rebuilt motor would cost cept for Install.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

#18 ·
Check out Courtesy Nissan and Regal Nissan. Sometimes their prices are good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.