Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that winter is upon us, I have a question. Last winter my windows would freeze shut. They wouldn't go up or down. I'd scrape the glass all the way around, and still nothing. I can hear the motor trying to move them but no luck. Apparently ice would form in the padding and freeze to the glass. How can I stop this from happening again?

·
Super Moderator
6,374 Posts
I hate that too, always happens at the most inopportune time. It’s hard to prevent it. In the winter, I usually close my driver and passenger window just enough but not all the way up to where it tops out.
If that’s not an option, it will eventually defrost if you point the vents toward the window, heat on while driving.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With some of the winters we get around here, not fully seating them isn't an option. The winds would pull and push them to the point of breaking. I've actually had the thought of putting Vaseline on the edge of the glass before rolling them up. Dumb, I know.

·
Registered
637 Posts
If they do freeze shut (happens to me almost daily in the car and work van) take a credit card (or something similar) and wedge on the outside of the vehicle between the glass and seal and kind of slide it along to break the ice jam. Never fails.

·
Super Moderator
9,823 Posts
I would try to find a spray that is non petroleum based. Something that is rubber and such safe.

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
I use silicone dielectric grease. Use a very thin coating (apply and wipe off extra). Stays in place a bit longer than silicone spray.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I would try to find a spray that is non petroleum based. Something that is rubber and such safe.
My can of WD40 brand Silicone Spray says this...

• Lubricates, waterproofs and protects
  • Quick-drying with no messy residue
  • Safe to use on rubber, vinyl and plastic
  • Safely lubricates, waterproofs and protects metal and non-metal surfaces, including rubber, plastic and vinyl

·
Super Moderator
9,823 Posts
Yeah I dont trust it on Rubber and such.

Thats what Fluid film and other products are for.

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
Condoms trust silicone on rubber, but do not recommend plant or animal oil-based lubricants... Silanes and Siloxanes (AKA "silicone") do not break down rubber. The silicon-based polymers do not interact with carbon-based polymers (whether plant-based, animal-based or petroleum-based). The chemistry is different. As long as it is pure silicone, it will not be an issue on rubber. I get food grade, as it tends to have the highest purity and really doesn't cost much more.

Animal-based waxes such as lanolin (AKA fluid film) actually do react with rubber (natural or synthetic), but much more slowly than a petroleum grease, to the point that it is not a concern.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts