Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me and my friend, both of us have 2015 AWD RS, changed our transfer case and rear differential fluids last night. He has 38k miles and neither had ever been changed while I have 43k miles and had both changed at a dealership last year or about 5k-6k miles ago. I normally do things like that on my own, but last year was a rough year for me personally and I knew the service was due so I had them do it. They actually messed up some other stuff I wanted them to do while they had my car which is what prompted me to change the fluids along with him despite not being due because I just wanted to check. While all dealerships suck, Nissan has one of the poorest dealership networks in North America and if they don't right that ship it's just another nail in the coffin they are currently building for themselves. I've had nothing but bad service experiences at Nissan, anywhere. But I digress.

Anyway my transfer case fluid looked normal given the amount of miles on it, a bit brown but not like black or anything. My friends was expectedly much darker.

However my rear differential fluid had a very foamy layer while his did not at all. Mine was a much better color - a bit brown while his was black, but mine had that layer of froth that was quite thick and took some time to dissipate. We had both just recently been driving for about 10min, I was driving spiritedly and I would imagine he was too. Neither looked to have an unusual amount of metal shavings. Both were filled to appropriate levels too, in other words the fluid was not low.

I am getting mixed opinions on how "normal" this is when searching in general. Some places say it's totally normal and even abnormal NOT to have a layer of foam on top after a drive. Some places say there should be no foam and it is a sign of water contamination. Some say it means I have been cursed by tiny witch lobsters. I don't know. The night before last I changed the gear oil in my 2012 Pro4X Xterra and there was no foam to my recollection in any of the diffs, granted I was not paying nearly as much attention and just kind of let it dump into the canister while I was doing other stuff so maybe there was.

Anyone who has done this service themselves have any input on what theirs looked like? And if it is possible contamination does that mean I should replace the seals or maybe even crack open the diff and check the gears? I stuck my snake camera in there and things looked relatively normal, but it's kind of hard to get a cam in there and really scope around because of the way it is laid out - the fill hole is immediately blocked by the axle and the drain hole really only lets you see the splines coming off the driveshaft.

I wouldn't put it past the dealership to have either intentionally or unintentionally done something. I'd say it's just as likely their whole system for dispensing 80w90 was contaminated as it is my diff has a bad seal. I suppose I should probably check it out in a couple weeks again and maybe just do another drain and fill just to be safe, but would love some direct input in the meantime.

·
Registered
587 Posts
"foamy" layers on op of lubricants is usually just aerated fluid, so it has been mixed with air. Some people see this when they take their oil cap off and FREAK out. It is normal. As for the color: The read diff uses a magnet to turn on and off, so if one of you is driving around with AWD-V and the other is in 2WD mode this would explain it. AWD-V cycles the magnet on and off which will heat it up (this is why the rear diffs in the rogue and murano fail all the time because it is always in AWD-V) the magnet cycling on and off creates a decent amount of heat and COULD cause the fluid to wear a bit faster or darken. It is nothing to worry about. I have yet to hear about a rear diff failing from a lack of fluid change. I know several people local to me with 100k+ miles and have never serviced their rear diff fluid, so you should be fine.

·
Super Moderator
10,700 Posts
Change your fluids sooner than later is always the best advice.

I am going to change my Juke Engine oil soon and I think it has 600 miles on it. It gets changed 6 months no matter what.

Yes environmental folks. I recycle it in my lawnmowers etc.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Is there a service interval chart somewhere on this site? I don't have the owners manual which probably has the info in it.

·
Super Moderator
10,700 Posts
What year Juke ?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts