Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to modifying cars and have been told by friends to get a Cold Air Intake, I had read that these can be inefficient with the turbo spool and a intercooler system is more efficient but I am unsure.
If anyone has any recommendations or can confirm or deny the CAI let me know! Kind of on a budget leaving for college soon so not in any rush just want something to work on and can't entirely pay for a near $800 intercooler set up haha.

·
Administrator
12,664 Posts
This has been beat to death over the years.

What do you want to accomplish by said upgrade ?

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
Get a cold air intake or short ram intake, an catback exhaust, and enjoy the sportier sounds. Maybe get an new diverter valve if you have an RS (any year) or regular Juke (2011-2014) only, the 2015+ non RS Juke can't have the diverter swapped. Consider a tune as well.

Unless you want to spend substantial time and money on substantial power gains that is all you need. Going any further starts to get into extensive engine work and expenditures. Spend the rest on a good set of summer tires and some cool wheels.

Enjoy the Juke. It's a fun car.

Reactions: Ausjuk33

·
Registered
86 Posts
Get a cold air intake or short ram intake, an catback exhaust, and enjoy the sportier sounds. Maybe get an new diverter valve if you have an RS (any year) or regular Juke (2011-2014) only, the 2015+ non RS Juke can't have the diverter swapped. Consider a tune as well.

Unless you want to spend substantial time and money on substantial power gains that is all you need. Going any further starts to get into extensive engine work and expenditures. Spend the rest on a good set of summer tires and some cool wheels.

Enjoy the Juke. It's a fun car.
You can upgrade the diverter valve on a V2 (2015+ non RS Juke).

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
It should also be noted that the CAI (intake pipe) and the intercooler are completely separate systems along the intake path. They are not mutually exclusive, and you don't choose one or the other, as you have implied. On an un-tuned vehicle, upgrading the CAI will not offer performance gains, but it will sound much better. Upgrading the intercooler will not provide any immediate gains either, but it will prevent performance loss under certain conditions (hot ambient temps, long run times, etc.)

One of the cheaper, easier solutions is to remove the stock "snorkel" off the end of the stock intake. Usually requires a couple screws and loosening the battery to wiggle it around. You will need to do this any to install a CAI.

I vote that you keep searching amd reading and learning. Of you like cars, then dive in headfirst. No hurry to actually spend money or do anything.

·
Administrator
12,664 Posts
The only mod that adds power without a tune is a Downpipe. But that is a lot of work. All other engine bay mods just change throttle response and or make noises louder.

·
Registered
745 Posts
To be honest an intake without a tune in most cases will actually lower your horsepower or at best slightly changes the powerband. I dunno..... after going through my younger years intakes are just a stupid mod unless you tune for them. Hundreds of dollars for literally nothing in most cases unless you REALLY want the noise.

Also a true Cold Air Intake will only be slightly louder than the stock intake so if you wanted noise go Short RAM and we all know the general opinion on those.

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
To be honest an intake without a tune in most cases will actually lower your horsepower or at best slightly changes the powerband. I dunno..... after going through my younger years intakes are just a stupid mod unless you tune for them. Hundreds of dollars for literally nothing in most cases unless you REALLY want the noise.

Also a true Cold Air Intake will only be slightly louder than the stock intake so if you wanted noise go Short RAM and we all know the general opinion on those.
The stock Juke intake is super quiet and specifically designed to silence the woosh noise as the engine releases boost. The least loud CAI available for the Juke is still way louder then stock. Short rams are way louder still.

Reactions: slcjuke

·
Registered
1,016 Posts

I, after months of research, got a short ram rather than a CAI for 2 reasons: 1 a bit louder and 2 no chance of slurping up puddle water (I believe Juklear would attest to that). My only complaint is I got my intake and exhaust done AFTER my "tune" and now "Mr. Tuner" doesn't "tune" anymore...

Reactions: slcjuke

·
Registered
745 Posts
Lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts