Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Parked my car to unload some stuff in front of my house, turned on the hazard lights, and turned the car off. Was gone maybe a minute and a half, came back, hit the brake, pushed the Start button, and everything went dead. Immediately, things started blinking in sync with the hazards -- the battery and seat belt indicator on the left gauge, the "BRAKE" and passenger seat belt on the right gauge (though the passenger seat belt wasn't blinking totally off, it was dimming), both cabin lights, the Start backlight, both headlights, and both alligator lights. Turn off the hazards and they all started blinking dimmer, about twice as fast for about 30 seconds, and then just started blinking erratically. If I turn the hazards on again, they all immediately sync back up and slow down to hazard speed again.

She won't start, can't shift into gear unless I use a screwdriver on the little push tab, and appears dead to the world. I'm sure I'll have to get it towed tomorrow, but I'm worried they are going to blame the aftermarket stereo, which was professionally installed AND has worked fine for over a year. But it seems like an easy electrical "out" and I have no experience with this dealership.

Anyone heard of any electrical faults like this? The only other thing I can say is that this morning I swear I saw the "key" light stay lit (the amber one) when I started the car for about 45 seconds, but it went away and I didn't think anything else of it.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I've seen lots of weird things happen due to a dead or extremely low battery in newer Nissan batteries, and this is similar to a few cases I've seen come into the shop. That would be my first guess

·
Registered
576 Posts
Been there, done that. It is most likely the stereo install. One of the wires was run across a piece of sharp metal. at first the wiring is protected by the insulation. after a year of rubbing on the sharp edge it scours of the insulation. Then it shorts, eventually burning out the fusable link to the battery. Just saying, it sounds very familiar. I think it would be worth pulling out the stereo and checking all the wires.

·
Registered
940 Posts
What kind of warranty do you have on the installation? Is it possible to have the installers inspect their work, to check for things as Jay Dawge points out? Although, the battery suggestion, while costly, is a much easier first step. The Nissan OEM batteries are quite crappy.

(OT: Does anyone have any info on the quality of the alternator? I assume it's probably weak and bare minimum to meet charging the battery solely using factory installed equipment.)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The stereo is just a headunit and it's arguably drawing less power, there's not even a disc reader or anything. Just a panel. That said, it's probably the battery. I'm in the middle of moving and I'm guessing the series of short trips was enough to push it over the edge. Just seemed very odd. I pulled the stereo to disconnect it but by that point she was already dead. Hooked some jumper cables up and it started right up.

I dropped it off at the dealership here today to have the timing chain work done, and asked them to take a peek at the charging system / alternator / battery. The guy testing said it tested fine, then the other guy came out and told me it's "probably the battery, this one's from 2012 and that's pretty old, you should replace them every year". Heh.

When I get it back from the timing chain thing, if they haven't had any problems starting it I think I'm good to call this one a fluke.

·
Registered
940 Posts
... "probably the battery, this one's from 2012 and that's pretty old, you should replace them every year"...
That's just total BS. Although, it might be the case with Nissan's weak OEM battery.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, battery replacement (which they covered under warranty... I found that sort of odd) and timing chain replacement, and I'm all set. They did an oil change with the timing chain replacement, since they sort of have to, and drained my synthetic and replaced it with dino oil... which I had just changed about a thousand miles ago. Wasn't totally happy with that, but worse things have happened I suppose.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Same problem with my 2011 with 56,000 miles. In January the battery was dead after sitting all night. I put a charger on it and it took a good charge. Same thing happened on July 4th. Yesterday my wife got home at 4 P.M. and when I went to start it at 5 P.M. it was dead again. Just dash lights fluttering and a rapid clicking from the starter. I charged it again and it started this morning. I have an appointment Monday afternoon. There was no idiot light, no lights left on or doors left ajar. I have not had any modifications. If it is the battery I certainly will not purchase one from Nissan. Really? Three years is pathetic for the life of a battery.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Parked my car to unload some stuff in front of my house, turned on the hazard lights, and turned the car off. Was gone maybe a minute and a half, came back, hit the brake, pushed the Start button, and everything went dead. Immediately, things started blinking in sync with the hazards -- the battery and seat belt indicator on the left gauge, the "BRAKE" and passenger seat belt on the right gauge (though the passenger seat belt wasn't blinking totally off, it was dimming), both cabin lights, the Start backlight, both headlights, and both alligator lights. Turn off the hazards and they all started blinking dimmer, about twice as fast for about 30 seconds, and then just started blinking erratically. If I turn the hazards on again, they all immediately sync back up and slow down to hazard speed again.

She won't start, can't shift into gear unless I use a screwdriver on the little push tab, and appears dead to the world. I'm sure I'll have to get it towed tomorrow, but I'm worried they are going to blame the aftermarket stereo, which was professionally installed AND has worked fine for over a year. But it seems like an easy electrical "out" and I have no experience with this dealership.

Anyone heard of any electrical faults like this? The only other thing I can say is that this morning I swear I saw the "key" light stay lit (the amber one) when I started the car for about 45 seconds, but it went away and I didn't think anything else of it.
My battery exploded when I was starting the car at service station right after I filled up the tank. Can you imagine this? It's the original battery from Nissan. I can't trust this Brand anymore.

·
Super Moderator
11,288 Posts
You cannot blame Nissan for a bad battery per say. They did not make the battery.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts