Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been haunting Cars.Com, watching the numbers of Juke go up this week from 234 to 816. yay! But -- there's no info on Cars.com about the trim level, and it's difficult to suss out from the price and descriptions.

AutoTrader.com also does not have the trim level.

Edmunds.com DOES --the only site I've been able to find that has this info. Do you know of others?

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
and how many dealers do you have within 75 miles? I have 3.

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yep; I live out here in the desert. which is why I'm widening my search.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hrmm.. Not sure if this is helpful (or normal?) but my local dealer offered to change an upcoming order to match the specific car I want... Color, interior, transmission, trim level, options, etc.

They said it would take a month to get my car in but I'll get the EXACT one I want.. The downside is I need to give them a $500 deposit which goes to the purchase of the car or they said if I change my mind they'd give it back to me...

Not sure if this is just because they are a high volume dealer? Anyone more familiar with the car purchasing (or car sales?) process have some knowledge or recommendations?

- Chris

·
Registered
169 Posts
Chris,

I'm in a similar situation, except the dealer I've been talking to (in SoCal) has a car on order already the way I want it and doesn't need to change the order. It's reserved for me, and I gave a $500 deposit. It's California law that your car purchase isn't legally binding until you sign the papers and drive the car off the lot. i.e., "take delivery." They have to return your deposit if you decide to cancel the transaction. I successfully tested this once by canceling a special-order VW GTI a couple of years ago that I had put a deposit on. The dealer quickly refunded my money, without any hassle.

-iaj

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
one of my dealers changed his order too, but didn't ask for a deposit. Be sure to put the deposit on a credit card, in case you need to get it back (much harder to get a check back). Of course, you rarely get a decent price break doing it this way.

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I didn't, and no I haven't negotiated anything yet. I want to keep my options open for now.

·
Registered
43 Posts
It's California law that your car purchase isn't legally binding until you sign the papers and drive the car off the lot. i.e., "take delivery." They have to return your deposit if you decide to cancel the transaction. I successfully tested this once by canceling a special-order VW GTI a couple of years ago that I had put a deposit on. The dealer quickly refunded my money, without any hassle.
Super helpful to know this. They seemed definitely cool and I got along with them quite well but I am always skeptical of their motivation. I was worried that there would be some shady 'catch' if I handed over $500 for them to configure one exactly the way I want it. In a strange way it seems to kinda help a bit with my negoatiation as if I decide to walk away they are stuck my dream Juke but it might be a configuration less popular than something more general.

Thanks!

Chris

·
Registered
169 Posts
The only "catch" is unless you've negotiated your price, you might be in a weak bargaining position once your car arrives. I think they figure if you optioned it that way, somebody else would probably want it if you pass. It's good to get the deal nailed-down ahead of time, even if you agree to buy at MSRP. You can always negotiate downward later; just use carsdirect.com or something to get a better quote. Tell them you'll go with the quote if they don't match it (and throw in free floor mats :).

One thing I didn't make super clear: You can sign the papers, write them a check, and have everything done and you can still back out of the deal unless you drive the car off their lot. That's California law. The test drive (before you signed the papers) doesn't count. Some day I'm going to try this. :D

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't know what consumer protection that have in Calif; just be clear that there is no "three day rule" as some people believe.

·
Registered
169 Posts
True, there is no cooling-off period for vehicle and home purchases in California. The dealer is required to disclose that and have you sign the disclosure. That doesn't stop people from trying to back out of a lousy deal, though. Good luck to them.

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Went to my dealer today and saw a couple more in the flesh. They had an electric blue and a red S, and a manual black SV.

Confirmed my order for a white SL AWD with red trim. Did not put any money down or negotiate the price, but they have it under my name. They said probably end of December.

We talked about options, and I told him (him, being the internet sales manager--always deal with these guys rather than the regular salesman) that since I'm getting the most expensive available trim, I'm not too interested in adding too many options. We did get the spoiler (non functional or not!) and the splash guards and carpet mats which are pretty standard.

I'm really not expecting to get much of a price break, but I'll try. I guess I'll email the other two dealers in my area, tell them what I want, just in case, too.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I'm really not expecting to get much of a price break, but I'll try. I guess I'll email the other two dealers in my area, tell them what I want, just in case, too.
That's one of the best ways to deal, someone is going to want your business more.

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Hey, what happened to "not functional either, I presume, so why would you bother?" ???

I happen to think you made a good choice. What changed your mind if you don't mind me asking? I want one, but kinda want to see if any other options also come up.

We did get the spoiler (non functional or not!)

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, he said he ordered it with the spoiler, and I do like the look, so I said it was okay. I'm giving up the other fancy appearance options anyway.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Very close to mine, also coming in December:

2011 JUKE SL FWD M/T SUV 6-SPD

QX1-R WHITE PEARL , BLACK/RED

MSRP BASE $22,550

FIN $95 SS EXHAUST FINISH
FL3 $170 CARPETED FLOOR MA
SGD $120 SPLASH GUARDS
SPL $390 REAR ROOF SPOLIER
50S $0 50 STATE EMISSION