Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Philadelphia and I no longer need my 2014 Nismo Juke! I was the first owner but I have "carbon build up" turbo issue that I keep paying people to fix and just have no luck. 72k miles. What do you all think I should try and sell her for? I really appreciate all the time and guidance on here! [email protected] if you think you might want her!

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Mind if I ask what you mean by carbon buildup turbo issue? Do you mean valve gunk as a result of being direct injected? That wouldn't really involve the turbo. Or do you mean an issue with the turbo itself?

If you're just talking about generic Direct Injection gunk buildup, CRC makes a DI Turbo car specific cleaning spray that you put in the induction path that is specifically designed for this problem that is supposed to work pretty well. Nissan offers an induction cleaning service but it is chemical based and probably not too dissimilar to the CRC offering you do yourself. You can also remove the manifold and clean it yourself manually using some gentle elbow grease or the "walnut shell" blasting method - both would be a long afternoon job to a modestly experienced garage diy'er. You can also find a shop that will do this for you however be warned 95% of shops are simply not smart enough to perform this service properly.

I'm at 44k miles and looking at options for myself to stay ahead of the curve on this but there are definitely options. This is the bugbear of direct injection and why the technology in isolation will probably fail in the long run in exchange for dual injection technology where you have both port side and direct injection systems on top of each other.

·
Registered
587 Posts
unless the carbon build up on the intake valves is causing some sort of drive-ability issue, then I am not sure why you would get rid of the car? I walnut blast intake valves on locals cars to get rid of build up. Install a full pcv system oil catch can to prevent any more build up from occurring. But i have seen the intake valves on jukes with 150k+ miles, it looked like volcanic rock on the top of the valve, but the car ran and drove fine. I am willing to bet the fuel economy and peak torque where much much less than when it was new, but they drove fine.

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
unless the carbon build up on the intake valves is causing some sort of drive-ability issue, then I am not sure why you would get rid of the car? I walnut blast intake valves on locals cars to get rid of build up. Install a full pcv system oil catch can to prevent any more build up from occurring. But i have seen the intake valves on jukes with 150k+ miles, it looked like volcanic rock on the top of the valve, but the car ran and drove fine. I am willing to bet the fuel economy and peak torque where much much less than when it was new, but they drove fine.
What is your opinion on using CRC's DI cleaner?

·
Registered
587 Posts
A spray on or induction cleaner is VERY limited in what it can do. Think about how fast, even at idle, the air flows over the valves. It does not give much time for the cleaner to do any work. Now also think about what happens when the cleaner dissolves a decent chunk of the carbon build up? Where does it go? Right into the combustion chamber. You really don't want any solids in that chamber. That is asking for some serious trouble. BMW has had this issue for a long time, they where very early on the DI game. At their service centers they offer valve cleaning services with material similar to walnut blasting. It is very time consuming, and if done wrong can wreck an engine, but its basically the only way to clean the top of a valve completely without removing the valve from the head. You can do a solvent in the closed valve then suck it all out, but you need to let it sit for a LONG time to really eat away anything, and solvents usually are no good for valve seals.

·
Registered
57 Posts
3k is what I'll offer you. But you pay to have it shipped flatbed to Florida. Standard? or CVT? Would consider 4k for MT. Payment COD to the flatbed driver if everything checks out. That carbon is pretty serious business ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts