Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Did you plug both openings you created?

If not, you created a vacuum leak. It didn't "know" per se, but it didn't like it b/c it wasn't reading the air that was flowing into the engine after the MAF, through the introduced leak.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Dont do that! Lol these cars run with a BPV (bypass valve). The air released is forced back into the intake and is metered by the MAF sensor. if the vehicle is not getting the air that it is expecting, it will be confused and run rich between shifts (Computer adds more fuel to compensate for the missing air)

·
Registered
71 Posts
....metered by the MAF sensor. if the vehicle is not getting the air that it is expecting....
Didn't I just say that? BTW, he mentioned that this is at idle; if he knows what it is he just disconnected, he probably knows well enough not to drive on it that way.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Didn't I just say that? BTW, he mentioned that this is at idle; if he knows what it is he just disconnected, he probably knows well enough not to drive on it that way.
One can only hope lol. Yeah and I was just adding on to what you said. And yes, at idle it will idle rough with the vacuum leak.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I didn't drive it, and I left the tube connected to the intake and just plugged the end that connected to the BOV.
If you're saying that you disconnected the tube from the BOV/BPV, left it loose, and plugged the end going to the BPV, then it was a vacuum leak. The engine was sucking in air through the opening in the intake/tube where it connects (just before the turbo) that was not plugged.

If you're saying you plugged the hose or BPV and reattached the hose, then nothing should have happened.

However, this is all academic, because unless you're diagnosing an issue with your BPV, there's no reason to do any of this.

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
So far I believe the only ones I've seen for Nissans are for the GTR. I think I saw some youtube videos showing some asians with some. I wasn't really impressed with how any of them sounded and couldn't understand what they were describing. Not sure they were on Jukes either, may have been another nissan (I was jumping from link to link). Then there is the whole problem of getting one and possibly adapting it. Nope I haven't found anything Specifically for the Juke on this side of the pond yet. Anyone else?

·
Registered
71 Posts
DIY. If you want a BOV, get a universal kit, pipe-it in on the hose from the intercooler, remove BPV, and plug openings.

HOWEVER. Universal or not; as with most newer MAF and BPV equipped, turbocharged cars, you'll probably run into fuel mixture issues if you switch to a BOV and use the stock ECU and MAF, because your venting intake air that has already been metered by the MAF. To utilize one effectively without mixture issues, you'd have switch to a tunable aftermarket ECU that monitors intake via Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP sensor; rather than MAF - air flow).

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've had several turbo cars and installing a BOV that vents to atmosphere is silly. The sole purpose of a BOV/BPV is to release boost pressure when the throttle closes. There is no performance advantage to swapping and there are definite negatives with MAF cars, as mentioned. Just my two cents.

Of course, most people who install a BOV do so to hear the Whoosh! sound. No whooshing with a BPV. :D

·
Registered
665 Posts
Kinda sad there isn't one out that will make the Whoosh sound... then I heard a vw golf do it and it lost its appeal, then a neon srt4, then I associated it with being young and silly and wanting attention... and these trucks do that on their own. :)

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
My 1990 eclipse made an awesome swoosh noise. I wouldn't mind having my Juke do that.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Form or function?

Just learn to whistle with your fingers and drive with your head out the window.

Or, get one of the old hot rod wolf whistles that you tap into the intake.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Right now there is no BOV for the Juke, I am researching trying to find a universal one that will fit. By replacing the BOV with an aftermarket one, it will not affect any of the air/fuel mixture readings differently.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Right now there is no BOV for the Juke, I am researching trying to find a universal one that will fit. By replacing the BOV with an aftermarket one, it will not affect any of the air/fuel mixture readings differently.

This guy is making strides here. Thanks for joining and posting your input. :D

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
If you take out the last part of the air intake you'll can hear the turbo and the factory BOV (doens't make a loud sound) but is way better then the OEM sound.

Is the black piping, removed in few seconds.
Friend of mine did that and I've done it now.

You can see the filter itself for a lil now, but the sound is better like this

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
I'm impressed by the early tinkering. Thank you for being a pioneer.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Do explain. Will it not be running rich for a couple seconds every time the BOV dumps air that has already been metered by the MAF?

1 - 20 of 78 Posts