Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had no luck with trying things to make black stay black. Whether its the plastic or rubber on a Juke.

The things I have tried seem to "Bleed, Run, Discolor" when it rains.

Items used:

Chemical Guys Interior exterior polish conditioner

Mothers Back to Black

Armor All

A couple of off brand things from Ollies.

·
Premium Member
2,214 Posts
Mac one of the reasons I have been so quiet around here lately is that I've basically started a detailing business on top of my GloboCORP salaryman job. I have quite a bit of recent experience rejuvenating and dressing up trim, and my all-time favorite product for any raw plastic or trim that has faded or discolored, is this:

Gtechniq C4 Permanent Trim Restorer 30ml https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008L180ZM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_wBRJDb7RS7W3X

If the surface itself is scuffed or very very lightly scratched you can definitely use like a 3" DA polisher and some mid-cut compound/polish. I had some success on my tattered filet mouldings using this method.

For dressing and UV protection, my favorite product is waterbased (as they should be no Armorall please) and versatile AF. I do engine bays, wheel wells, fender trim, rubber, vinyl, tires, etc. You can also dilute it for your preferred level of sheen. I like the satin finish myself, but this stuff lasts forever.

Meguiar's D17001 Hyper Dressing - 1 Gallon - Give Your Car's Trim Pieces the Best Shine & Gloss https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006SH4PA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_5GRJDb731J63J

And finally, for something you want more protected and hydrophobic than necessarily dressed, with intense shine, clarity, or gloss (depending on what you're applying it to), I cannot recommend BeadMaker or Chemical Guys Jetseal more. Both really great. I finish most cars (glass paint trim lights and all) with this, and you don't even need to use windshield wipers (bonus points for thin layer on wiper blades). I commonly forgo waxing altogether in favor of this.

Chemical Guys WAC_118_16 JetSeal Paint Sealant & Paint Protectant with UV Protection & Hydrophobic Properties (16 oz) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001TFE38A/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_wKRJDb8S6F2PH

Finally quick before/after of when I restored the trim on my 09 Accord. Using the C4 product above.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,214 Posts
I've seen numerous videos of people restoring black trim with heat. I've not tried it myself yet.
I fixed a blemish from improper adhesive removal on my Juke's dash with a heat gun. It can work, but its real easy to mess up and the best cadidates are pieces that have flatish shape otherwise the uneven heat distribution will give you bad results. It works because you melt the top layer ever so slightly and it gets shiny. One small step past shiny and it'll get wobbly concerntric circles. You wouldn't wanna do this on rubber though, right?

·
Super Moderator
9,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just want to stop the rain bleed. It looks great til it rains. Then it looks like crap.

I will take some pics when it gets wet.

Its mainly the window rubber trim and the rear door handles.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’ve had pretty good luck with Lithium Trim serum. It lasts a long time (weeks/months) through multiple rains and appears to be steadily making my heavily faded (light grey) mud flaps darker over time. Plastic just drinks it up.

Lithium Auto Elixirs Trim Serum- Plastic Restorer- Restores Even The Most Damaged Plastic, Rubber and Vinyl, Last for Months, Penetrates Plastic Pores Restoring Color. (16oz). https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MTQP514/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_gPGLDbP3VW5M7

·
Super Moderator
9,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awesome. Thanks for the tip !!!

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
9,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Premium Member
2,214 Posts
I never thought I'd be big on Chemical Guy's products, but I have a garage full of it, and almost all of it gets used regularly.

Their air freshener called JDM smells exactly like Black Squash if you wanna relive the '90s one spritz at a time (I do). Jetseal, Butter Wet Wax, and their Leather Cleaner/Conditioner are all amazing as well.

Never tried that trim stuff you got. Let us know whatcha think.

·
Super Moderator
9,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It looks good. You can use it very sparingly so it will last a long time.

I like the Chemical guys interior stuff and use that on the tires and that does not run or fade when it rains. Weird. It works well on the tires.

I only wanted it for the rear door handles. Rear bumper hatch guard. Window trim also on the SHO lower plastic trim etc.

100% rain on Weds. We shall see.

·
Super Moderator
9,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok so the Gel works ok ish. It looks good and is a decent buy I think but the rain again. The door handles on the Juke seem ok but the wife's Kizashi you can see the stuff running down the car door and the Jukes window trim is creating rain spots on the horizontal ledge.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
645 Posts
Detailing season approaches, so I've been anxiously browsing some new products to try this year while I restock my arsenal. I came across this stuff and thought of this thread. Mind you I have no hands experience with it, yet it does seem to have a good reputation in the detailing network. CQuartz CarPro DLux Plastic & Wheel Coating. The company who makes it has been in the ceramic coating business for a minute, and this is their semi permanent trim solution. Kinda pricey though. Amazon has it at $43 for a small bottle. If interested, there's a good number of YT demo vids. I've tried a number of trim restoration/protect-ant type products as well, and they all seem to end the same in a matter of weeks. VRP, 303 Aerospace, Mother's Back to Black, Meg's Ultimate Black, etc. All end up runny, streaky, uneven, and messy, or just vanish. I'm not sure If I'm ready to go this route yet myself, but it's on my radar now.

·
Premium Member
2,214 Posts
Highly recommend CarPro Quartz! I think its silly that they sell 4 different products that do the same thing though. I'm ceramic coating a twin-turbo'd 5.0 Mustang right now using Quartz UK 2020 Formula and there is plenty leftover in one bottle to do the plastics, wheel barrels, headlights, etc. Its not even an off-label application. So that's what I'd recommend. Plastics will need to be reapplied every year or so but you won't ever need to put dressings or protection on top of it unless you just want to and it gives it a nice satin black sheen. Plus you'll save money on not using as much plastic care stuff.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just saw some Simoniz detailer spray and other decent cheap autocare stuff at OLLIES for $2.99.

Their Simoniz beam wipers Rock for $5.99-$6.99. I dont think they fit the Juke but they did on my Wifes Kizashi.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts