Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my car in for its first oil change on Friday 6/27. On Tuesday, 7/1 the car shut off while driving home from work, and the steering wheel was frozen in place; my music was still playing but the engine and power steering were not working. I did not push the start/stop button; I was just steering.

I had to roll to a start to avoid an accident and other rear ending me. I got the car to stop and called the dealership. I was told the service manager was not in, but that a message would be left and he would call me in the morning. I did not get a call on Wednesday.

The dealership and Nissan cannot figure out what the problem is. I found other posts on other forums about the issue, but there were no resolutions that I can find. They called me to say they think it's a fluke, but I don't want to risk driving that car again unless the problem is fixed.

Can anybody help?

·
Registered
317 Posts
So you had power, but the engine wouldnt start up? Was it clicking when you pressed the button?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There was not clicking. The engine stopped working and the steering wheel locked, but my music was still playing and so was my bluetooth. There was not clicking. I tried to hold the button while slowing down and that didn't help. I had to come to a complete stop and wait. Then I was able to start it up again. Nissan does not have a resolution and is saying that what I'm saying happened did not happen. I feel trapped with this car. I cannot drive a vehicle with such an unsafe problem unless they are sure they can fit it.

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
I think what you are describing as the steering wheel locking is simply your loss of power assist steering. When the engine isn't running the power steering will not work because the belt driving the system isn't working. You can still steer manually, it will just be much stiffer. Brakes will also work, but will require more effort. Your stereo was running off the battery.

Do you have a manual or CVT transmission. If it's a CVT automatic, then I can see whey it wouldn't restart while coasting, because it needs to be in Park.

I hope you get the problem addressed somehow, as I can imagine it's unsettling.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Juke has electric power steering. So the fault with the steering can't be linked directly to the engine shut down. Power failure to the ecu maybe?

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
You are correct, but the result of an off engine should be the same: steering is still available, just stiff, right? It shouldn't lock as the OP describes.

·
Registered
849 Posts
I haven't tested it. In theory, there is no reason at all why the steering would get stiff. It has it's own electric pumps and sensors. The engine doesn't provide any power for the steering. I have to look at the steering control systems. If it's controlled through the BCM then no, the engine has no effect on steering and the two are not related. If the steering is controlled in the ECM then that is a different matter.

·
Registered
849 Posts
OKay. I reviewed the service manual. The EPS (electric power steering) has it's own computer that monitors a few sensors, mostly in the steering system. I does get three other external singals via the canbus. Vehicle speed, multimonitor mode status (eco/normal/sport) and engine status from the ecu. The important one for this tread is the engine status. The ecu sends either a running or stop signal to the EPS. It appears that if the EPS gets a stop signal, power assist is terminated in all forms.

So yes, an engine failure or ECU failure that causes the engine to turn off will stop power steering assist as well. The EPS light in the dash should not turn on as this is a normal function. (Engine shutting off isn't normal, the but the EPS system response to the stop signal is, so no light).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I have an automatic. They still have not fixed it and they are telling me there is not a problem and want me to return my rental car and drive that car. I fear for my life now driving this vehicle. I fear that Nissan is risking my life. The case is now with Nissan corporate and they are evaluating a buy back because they cannot find a problem. I'm scared and disturbed.

I forwarded this discussion to the mechanic at the local dealership who is evaluating my car and directed them to check the parts/sensor indicated above.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I had the exact same problem just recently
and I was also told that there's no problem but
won't garantee it won't happen again... It happen on
a Friday afternoon in the in the middle of the
freeway... can you tell me how it ended?

·
Administrator
11,782 Posts
It is an old post and might not get responded to. You might be better off starting a new thread.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Juke so 2012

I bougth a used juke 2012 and the similar events noted above also happened to me. In the three months that I have this car this happened twice. Engine turned off as slowing down. I took it to the Nissan dealer and they can not find anything wrong after driving it for 30 miles. No codes are stored when this happened so I wrote a letter to Nissan asking them to figure out what is the next step since I am not going to drive this car until the issue is fixed. Does any one out there can tell me if Nissan fixed their car and what was the failing parts ?. Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
ok i just had this happen and was actually a syptom of a VERY serious problem. The positive battery terminal was short circuiting and melted the wire. This is right beside the fuel line. In a few seconds the wheel froze and locked and then battery died. Literally seconds. Luckily I was just on small street and could pull over. If i was on a highway I would prbably have crashed. The dannger was that a fire could very easily have started. Car is new, I have had it a week and the only warning I had was yesterday when driving for 20 minutes i could smell plastic smell but wasn't sure if just coming from the outside as am in the city.
I have a 3 year old and it is terrifying to think I would have a had a few seconds to pull the car over and take him out of the car seat before the car burst into flames. The CaA technician was very alarmed. The only warning you can use to predict this ( no warning lights would go off) is that the terminal was a bit loose but would have looked perfect otherwise!!

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Sounds very scary what year Juke do you have and how and how many miles do you have on it?

ok i just had this happen and was actually a syptom of a VERY serious problem. The positive battery terminal was short circuiting and melted the wire. This is right beside the fuel line. In a few seconds the wheel froze and locked and then battery died. Literally seconds. Luckily I was just on small street and could pull over. If i was on a highway I would prbably have crashed. The dannger was that a fire could very easily have started. Car is new, I have had it a week and the only warning I had was yesterday when driving for 20 minutes i could smell plastic smell but wasn't sure if just coming from the outside as am in the city.
I have a 3 year old and it is terrifying to think I would have a had a few seconds to pull the car over and take him out of the car seat before the car burst into flames. The CaA technician was very alarmed. The only warning you can use to predict this ( no warning lights would go off) is that the terminal was a bit loose but would have looked perfect otherwise!!

·
Administrator
11,782 Posts
Yes please let us know some more info and what happened at the dealer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought my Nissan juke April 2021 end of June 2021 the steering locked while I was turning a corner I ended up the wrong side of the road in front of the car on the other side of the road luckily I managed to stop the car immediately could not unlock The steering at first. The car is automatic was in drive put the car into neutral steering unlocked. Nissan in France did not want to know as when I took it to the garage or checks showed nothing wrong with the car they told me to take the car back I totally refused and said I would not drive this car again it could kill me. They have now given me back the money I paid for the car. I said I didn’t want another car the same date as this car so I’m looking to buy one a year old. I then found this forum and i’m in a dilemma what to do I’m now scared to drive any juke. I am adamant that there will be a very nasty accident if something is not done so I am continuing my battle with Nissan.

·
Administrator
11,782 Posts
I bought my Nissan juke April 2021 end of June 2021 the steering locked while I was turning a corner I ended up the wrong side of the road in front of the car on the other side of the road luckily I managed to stop the car immediately could not unlock The steering at first. The car is automatic was in drive put the car into neutral steering unlocked. Nissan in France did not want to know as when I took it to the garage or checks showed nothing wrong with the car they told me to take the car back I totally refused and said I would not drive this car again it could kill me. They have now given me back the money I paid for the car. I said I didn’t want another car the same date as this car so I’m looking to buy one a year old. I then found this forum and i’m in a dilemma what to do I’m now scared to drive any juke. I am adamant that there will be a very nasty accident if something is not done so I am continuing my battle with Nissan.
Just about any newer car can shut off and have the steering lock.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts