Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Nissan Nismo RS CVT (Pearl White)
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Can somebody point me to Egg quote about using NS3 on all Juke? I have been searching hours for it. =(

I'm trying to find out if he meant/ includes the 2015s Nismo RS too. And if mixing ns2 and ns3 is okay.

TIA

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
I remember his post, he definitely said it was OK. FWIW I don't think it's worth getting worked up either way. It sounds like NS3 has a higher thermal limit but a lower friction value at higher temperatures. This is purely anecdotal guessing, but NS3 stands up to higher temperatures better but perhaps transfers a bit less power. Again - anecdotal.

I change my fluid yearly and have stuck with NS2. I tried Valvoline for a while but it made the CVT noisy when hot and I kind of lost trust in it. Swapped back to NS2 and noise went away.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I remember his post, he definitely said it was OK. FWIW I don't think it's worth getting worked up either way. It sounds like NS3 has a higher thermal limit but a lower friction value at higher temperatures. This is purely anecdotal guessing, but NS3 stands up to higher temperatures better but perhaps transfers a bit less power. Again - anecdotal.

I change my fluid yearly and have stuck with NS2. I tried Valvoline for a while but it made the CVT noisy when hot and I kind of lost trust in it. Swapped back to NS2 and noise went away.
Thanks for the replied!

Came back from dealer today for the CVT service. Told them to use ns2 but instead they put in ns3!! If it doesn't hurt to mix ns2 with ns3, I'll just forget about it.

Now if next fluid change should I stick with ns3 or back to ns2?

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
Thanks for the replied!

Came back from dealer today for the CVT service. Told them to use ns2 but instead they put in ns3!! If it doesn't hurt to mix ns2 with ns3, I'll just forget about it.

Now if next fluid change should I stick with ns3 or back to ns2?
I honestly couldn't tell you realistically what would be best at this point. There is probably like one person at all of Nissan who could give you an answer based on actual scientific understanding of the differences and he/she lives in Japan and you can't access them.

Nissan official says use what is labeled for use on the sticker under your hood, so maybe just keep your life simple and just stick to NS2.

·
Super Moderator
2,303 Posts
Told them to use ns2 but instead they put in ns3!!
You have an “odd duck” in that the 2015 RS has the gen 2 body, but still has the gen 1 engine and CVT. My guess is someone at the dealership, if they weren’t following the correct procedure of checking VIN in Consult III, just said “hey this looks like a gen 2, that takes NS-3.” Or all they had on hand at the time was bottles of NS-3. And that’s how you ended up with NS-3. This is just speculation.

I wouldn’t worry about having a mixture in it for now. But next drain and fill, I’d have them put NS-2 in as that’s what your CVT calls for.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Don't use NS-3 on an NS-2 required CVT. I'm not experimenting and people who have run different have had not good results. Valvoline is one of them, NS-2 or not, I won't touch it with a 10-foot pole. Nissan NS-2 works just fine but pricey, change it often. Eneos is rumored to be the Nissan NS-2 supplier, so you can roll down to Autozone and buy some of that as well if you want. I'll stick with AMSOIL as it's far superior to any of those being a full synthetic.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I'll let the dealer know and see what they will do (if they value my business) In the meantime, I ll leave it in and do a drain and fill (ns2) during next oil change.

But am I crazy? I'm already loosing sleep over this! I love my RS way too much... lol

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
The RS use the Gen1 CVT transmission, all years. Thus....NS-2 required. NS-3 is a lower viscosity oil used for higher fuel efficiency and designed for the +2015 CVT in the Juke. This is partly how they are getting their bump in fuel efficiency over the Gen1. I think you will be fine but I'd switch back to NS-2 on the next change, keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I'll let the dealer know and see what they will do (if they value my business) In the meantime, I ll leave it in and do a fill and drill (ns2) during next oil change.

But am I crazy? I'm already loosing sleep over this! I love my RS way too much... lol

If the dealer documented that they used the wrong fluid, and the transmission fails, then you have documentation that shows that they are negligent. And they would have to foot the bill for the repairs for their negligence. I would imagine that this will also be a pain in the ass to deal with should things go this route.

If you are losing sleep over it, take it back and tell them you want a full flush, to make sure that every single drop has been replaced. You paid dealer prices, so I would get them to do it right.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
If the dealer documented that they used the wrong fluid, and the transmission fails, then you have documentation that shows that they are negligent. And they would have to foot the bill for the repairs for their negligence. I would imagine that this will also be a pain in the ass to deal with should things go this route.

If you are losing sleep over it, take it back and tell them you want a full flush, to make sure that every single drop has been replaced. You paid dealer prices, so I would get them to do it right.
Can they really flush the cvt? And dont they have to drop the entire cvt to get all the fluid out?
If this dealer got me into this mess, I doubt I can trust them with this job.

I think a drain and fill will be enough. If something happen I n the future, I will have the doc to prove it was their fault.

·
Super Moderator
2,303 Posts
About half of the fluid lives in the torque converter and flushing a CVT is not advised. Full removal of the transmission is the only way other than multiple drain and fills to get all of the fluid out.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
They would have to dilute it out. I use a suction pump specifically for oil changes when I'm crazy lazy, I think Hayes or something like that, they are on Amazon. It's only able to pull 4 qts out at a time, but it does it thru the fill tube. If you just don't have the time and can't get the car lifted, it's simple/clean to do. You can buy 8 qts. and just do it yourself, though a 4 qt. swap out will get enough in to dilute it to the right viscosity. A full pan drop and valvebody removal get's about 5-5.5 qts., the other 3 are in the torque converter. This isn't a big deal. The oil is expensive, but so is a new CVT. As long as you stick with Nissan CVT fluid I don't think it's an issue.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Can they really flush the cvt? And dont they have to drop the entire cvt to get all the fluid out?
If this dealer got me into this mess, I doubt I can trust them with this job.

I think a drain and fill will be enough. If something happen I n the future, I will have the doc to prove it was their fault.
They would have to drain and fill a few (2-3) times to remedy the situation, IF that is what you wanted them to do in order to right their wrong. As stated from others, the process dilutes the old oil, with new oil. The more times you do it, the higher the percentage is that is new, with diminishing returns after each drain and fill.

The point I was trying to make is that if you are losing sleep over a dealerships error, they are liable to fix it on their dime to correct the situation. Bureau of Automotive Repair will see to that, if you want to take it up that far.

If you are ok with how it is now, then, as you pointed out, you have documentation to prove their negligence. Nissan would do the same to you if your CVT died and you put in the wrong fluid; your fault, not gonna pay.

So you have two choices.

A) Live with it and feel some comfort that you have documentation.
Make sure it shows on the invoice, work order, etc, what type of fluid was used. Otherwise it does you no good, as it has false info.

B) Have them fix it.

What ever one you go with, I hope you can sleep better at night. I'm sure there are more important things to be putting your restless mind on. =)

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
What ever one you go with, I hope you can sleep better at night. I'm sure there are more important things to be putting your restless mind on. =)
Yeah, I know there are important things to be worry about right now than the car. I think I was being over exaggerated on this. (Sorry) =)

Quick update, the dealer consulted with Nissan corp. and agreed that it was their mistake. They will make this right by doing another drain and fill with NS2 at no charge.

I know they can't get all the NS3 out but it will be fine for now. So just in case anything happen in the future, I have everything documented (work order / receipt showing they put NS3 in the CVT) to proof that it wasn't my fault. =)

·
Registered
213 Posts
Yeah, I know there are important things to be worry about right now than the car. I think I was being over exaggerated on this. (Sorry) =)

Quick update, the dealer consulted with Nissan corp. and agreed that it was there mistake. They will make this right by doing another drain and fill with NS2 at no charge.

I know they can't get all the NS3 out but it will be fine for now. So just in case anything happen in the future, I have everything documented (work order / receipt showing they put NS3 in the CVT) to proof that it wasn't my fault. =)
That's about as good as it gets. And one less thing to worry about.

:)

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Okay, just came back from the dealer. They changed the fluid (NS2) and credit me back for the service. So all in all, got a free drain and fill (with extra NS3 =/) service for the CVT.

·
Administrator
11,960 Posts
Thats good. Hopefully you dont need to do it again.

Remember that the drain and fill only gets out 5-6 quarts. The whole system holds 9+ qts. The torque converter holds a lot of the balance. So I would explain this to them and get a second drain and fill performed.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thats good. Hopefully you dont need to do it again.

Remember that the drain and fill only gets out 5-6 quarts. The whole system holds 9+ qts. The torque converter holds a lot of the balance. So I would explain this to them and get a second drain and fill performed.
Yup the plan is to do another drain and fill during the next oil change. And that should be good enough for now.

·
Administrator
11,960 Posts
Awesome !!!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quick update, went to the dealer for an oil change and did another drain and fill with NS2. So that's total of two drain and fill with NS2 so hopefully that should be enough to get most of the NS3 out.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts