Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you think of the I-Con "Eco" mode? Do you think it's just a gimmick?

I read somewhere (don't ask me where now) that Eco mode was only good for sitting in traffic, and only for a limited time. Not sure if that's accurate. Can you actually drive it that way?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Yes it's possible to drive in eco mode but the Juke, for me, is a funny car so i will choose eco mode only to drive in town and in sport mode on small mountain roads around my house.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I'm sure its not just a gimmick. With an electronic controlled automatic transmission theres so many things that can be controlled to save on gas mileage. I'm still waiting for them to arrive here so I can see and feel first hand what kind of a difference the 3 different modes do.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I can say there is a real difference between the 3 modes !
I have a few questions. Between the 3 modes can you describe how each felt in terms of acceleration, braking, and handling. Also how good or bad the gas mileage was between the 3 different modes?

·
Registered
128 Posts
It's very difficult for me to describe because my english is very poor with technical words.
In eco mode, acceleration is very progressive, handling normal, brakes normal
In normal mode, acceleration a bit faster, handling and brakes normal
In sport mode, all is stronger : acceleration (quick response) very fast, stirling wheel stronger.

Sorry, I have to improve my english

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Your English is great! You could try your description in French, which I could probably read, but no worries!

I was wondering if you could experiment with the eco mode, say --- see how long you could make a tank of gas last?

·
Registered
92 Posts
It's very difficult for me to describe because my english is very poor with technical words.
In eco mode, acceleration is very progressive, handling normal, brakes normal
In normal mode, acceleration a bit faster, handling and brakes normal
In sport mode, all is stronger : acceleration (quick response) very fast, stirling wheel stronger.

Sorry, I have to improve my english
your english is good enough. i understood what you meant. i wonder how much more mpg you can get on eco mode compared to normal mode?

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
I think it works perfect, but the one who controls how much mpg it will do wil be the driver it self ;)

The eco mode give you a diffrent style of driving and so does the rest of the system.
not only mpg is a import thing. But just like valy63 said it changes the gearbox, powersteering and trottle respons. These 3 will or will not provide you more or less mpg.

I think I prob use the diffrent modes depending on what style I want to drive. And the style will effect my mpg ;)

·
Registered
128 Posts
I don't know the difference of fuel consumption between eco mode and normal mode. Not very important I suppose, between 0,5 to 1 liter for 100 km.
Eco mode will be reserved to town and stabilised speed on highways.
The fuel tank is about 42 liters.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am sure I can cut the stated MPG in half regardless of the selected driving mode.... I am still interested in what it can achieve in the different modes though.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I think eco mode is going to be like an anti-lead foot system, if that makes sense... So the car will be less responsive, less willing to rev up high, and like most have said, do anything that it can to save gas. Probably won't see a huge change in economy but why not turn it on in traffic if you're not moving too much.

·
Registered
76 Posts
ECO mode = Danger

ECO mode to me is just dangerous to use in the city. It makes the throttle response and acceleration way to slow. I've tried it in bumper to bumper traffic and it's nice not to lurch forward and immediately jam on the brakes ever 10 seconds, but when you need the power it just isn't there. A few times I've needed to make a quick maneuver and found myself nearly causing an accident.
The fuel savings isn't worth not having the power there when I need it.

·
Registered
240 Posts
ECO mode to me is just dangerous to use in the city. It makes the throttle response and acceleration way to slow. I've tried it in bumper to bumper traffic and it's nice not to lurch forward and immediately jam on the brakes ever 10 seconds, but when you need the power it just isn't there. A few times I've needed to make a quick maneuver and found myself nearly causing an accident.
The fuel savings isn't worth not having the power there when I need it.
protip: ECO mode is not the problem here. . .

·
Registered
680 Posts
Ecomode Works! I have a 14 mile commute to work w/ multiple stop lights, and all roads 35 - 45 mph. I can go from 24 to 27 mpg by staying in it. However, it sucks ALL the fun out of the Juke. I ended up turning it off; I paid for a sporty turbo crossover and didn't see the point of turning that off to get a few extra miles.

·
Registered
76 Posts
protip: ECO mode is not the problem here. . .
Try driving it in ECO mode at rush hour in DC or NYC. Most of the time you are going 2 mph so it doesn't matter but try to merge into the only gap in moving traffic w/o a merge lane when it opens up... You'll find the guy you just cut off about 3 inches from your bumper laying on the horn and you wishing you never bothered with ECO mode.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts