Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Haven't found a clear idea about the practical, repeat practical, difference between the drive modes. Here are several things I've picked up:
1 Stop-n-go traffic is said better for normal drive than eco for the need of power (sometimes).
2 Sport drive only engages after 20mph.
Flooring it in eco, normal or sport results in the same power
With that said, I have only used eco the whole 8 or 9 yrs driving my car. In stop-n-go traffic, it has all the power or pep I need. On expressway trips 70-80mph it's been fine. I confess if I see a hottie on the street, I don't use Sport mode to do a wheelie or anything. Other than that, what would Sport mode be good for? Seems to me the drive modes have no real practical difference between cvt and at. For economical driving, cvt=at. But sport mode applies richer fuel (?) to effect quicker power response that would be with an automatic transmission? Seems the turbo does that quite well even in eco mode. So I am left with the idea that an AT with a turbo will have the same results as with a Juke cvt; and that there is nothing more for me to gain by having "drive modes." Am I missing something?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Doesn't matter the traffic, I only set sport mod at all times, right after turning her up, I wish it could stay there in Sport as default.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Normal mode is exactly that, normal. Straight CVT, rev to whatever RPM you want and it will stay there until you let off the gas. No fake shifting.
Eco lowers the throttle response (makes the gas pedal 'weaker'). The example I use for illustration purposes is:
25% throttle on Eco = 10% throttle on normal
50% throttle on eco = 35% throttle on normal
75% throttle on eco = 60% throttle on normal
100% = 100%
(note, not actual values, just for illustration purposes).
Also, the turbo doesn't spool up in the rpm range as early as normal mode.
I also wouldn't be surprised if the max boost PSI was lower in Eco, but I don't know if this has been tested/confirmed.
CVT 'gearing' is different so 60 mph in eco might be 2200 RPM and in normal it might be 2400 rpm (the idea here is to keep it from using boost, which uses more fuel). Again, not actual values, illustrative only.

Sport mode vs normal actually does quite a bit:
Weakens the power assist steering, making it feel more like manual steering.
Adds the fake shift points
Increases the throttle response curve, the reverse of the above percentile breakdown. (In this way sport mode does essentially what those plug-in type tuner boxes do. It makes it so you are at 100% throttle when the pedal is only 65% down. It feels faster than normal mode because of this.
Gearing is raised so now instead of 2400 rpm at 60 in normal, you would be at 2600 (not actual value, illustrative only).

You can confirm most of these things with a little bit of testing.
Drive in normal at a set speed/rpm. Switch to Eco without changing throttle. See what the RPMs do. Repeat in Sport mode.
If you can gauge where your foot is at as far as 25% or 50% throttle, do the same thing and use your butt dyno to compare the same situations. From a stop in normal, go 50% and see how long it takes to hit 50. Then do eco at same 50%. Then sport. Try 25% throttle, 75%, 100%.

Mostly easy A/B/C testing.

I exclusively use sport mode 90% of the time. I use normal on the highway simply because I use cruise control and Eco has no practical effect on MPG at 65+ mph. In fact, changing modes for me has had no impact on mpg in all the different tests I have run over almost 8 years in my juke. Just run sport mode and enjoy it more.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I forgot to add that Eco mode also makes the a/c compressor run less often.

The biggest factor for better mpg is really how it is driven. There was a good example in the show Grand Tour where they took a prius around their track and had a bmw chase it. The pruis tried as best it could but of course the bmw had no problem keeping up. The end result was that the bmw had better gas mileage than the prius under those conditions. So the technical mpg ability of a vehicle doesn't mean much unless you drive it economically.

Also, keep in mind things like the auto engine start/stop feature in a lot of newer vehicles. In the long run, it will net an extra 1 mpg for the EPA ratings (depending on road/driving conditions). But realistically, no one will use them. The cost of crappy a/c while sitting at a light and the longevity of restarting the vehicle vs that extra mpg. The OFF button is the first thing we do in my wife's jeep.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Great detailed explanation!
Now dive into
2WD
AWD-V
AWD
vs MPG
jk 😂

·
Super Moderator
9,982 Posts
Great detailed explanation!
Now dive into
2WD
AWD-V
AWD
vs MPG
jk 😂
Theoretically zero. On AWD or AWD-V. The power stays FWD unless the VDC detects slippage. The shafts are always turning. The magnetic clutches turn on when commanded by the VDC.

But refer to the biggest thread in here. MPG and see the 15mpg difference in Gen1 Jukes. Such a joke. ;)

I know you know. Just typing for fun.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Theoretically zero. On AWD or AWD-V. The power stays FWD unless the VDC detects slippage. The shafts are always turning. The magnetic clutches turn on when commanded by the VDC.

But refer to the biggest thread in here. MPG and see the 15mpg difference in Gen1 Jukes. Such a joke. ;)

I know you know. Just typing for fun.
Here a very old video depicting AWD Torque vectoring:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gentlemen, we are blessed to have you on board here at the Forum. Bargeld, thanks for the great writeup. Maybe there is something to do with drive modes. :D (Only if my head will wrap around it.)
I use normal on the highway simply because I use cruise control
My Juke has no cruise control. (Standard over there? We in Japan get shorted, the options.) Would your drive strategy change without cruise control?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Eco mode also makes the a/c compressor run less often.
That's remarkable. Presumably it makes the compressor last longer? Couldn't an AT be programmed to do the same? Air conditioner repair is costly, so I am being smart by running eco all the time?

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
No, I would still use normal, mainly because of the RPM dip at highway speeds and the softer steering. The RPM difference for me is mainly because the interior noise is less at a slightly lower RPM with my TUI catback.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
That's remarkable. Presumably it makes the compressor last longer? Couldn't an AT be programmed to do the same? Air conditioner repair is costly, so I am being smart by running eco all the time?
Pros and cons. From the flip side, you are driving a sporty AWD turbo vehicle with more power than anything else in its class... exclusively in Eco mode. Many would question the reasoning or merit there. Also, I doubt that compressor cycle time would greatly extend its life. On paper due to the law of averages, yes, but real world, you are probably more likely to get rid of your juke before that cycle time difference buys you any extra life on the compressor.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
In fact, changing modes for me has had no impact on mpg in all the different tests I have run over almost 8 years in my juke. Just run sport mode and enjoy it more.
Really really remarkable. Ok, like, that's a game changer. All what you wrote in this thread, if true, must make the NIssan cvt (xtronic) all what it's cranked up to be--a techno marvel. Comment, please.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I only set sport mod at all times, right after turning her up
You concur with Bargeld then. How did you get there? It fit with you immediately from the start? Or did you first play the different modes against each other?

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Personally, I get a rock solid 24 mpg both city and highway. I can actually INCREASE my MPG by driving it harder sometimes. Mind you, check my garage for my list of mods and also keep in mind I have an Ecutek tune. My mpg may not align with a stock juke and also (based on the MPG thread on the forum) mileage appears to vary A LOT from person/juke to person/juke.

As far as the xtronic being a wizard of modern technology, I equate it to the same comment I make on stock tuned jukes wanting to add intakes and intercoolers and exhaustes and hoping for a performance gain. The stock ECU will always fight to keep things within stock parameters, it will always maintain it's core programming and purpose. The same is true with the CVT with regards to the type of driving being done. The drive style from person to person doesn't change a whole lot (usually) so the drive mode it's in will either compliment that drive style or fight it. If you compliment it, you will get the results like the prius vs bmw example I used, and you will get your 'expected' or 'regular' result in MPG. If your drive mode is fighting your drive style then you will see an MPG benefit in changing your mode to fit your drive style.

I will also add that there has always been the question on Eco mode regarding it's target usage. Do you get Eco results on the highway or in stop and go commuter traffic (not regular light city traffic)? The answer lies in what it does.

Again, at highway speeds of 70+ you will see an RPM drop of minor significance, meaning your MPG will see minor improvement. If you require X amount of power/torque on the highway to maintain speed, then a lower power Eco setting will require you to increase throttle in order to maintain the same power/torque as a different mode. So Eco on the highway is nigh useless.

In commuter stop n go, you tend to accelerate much more often. You aren't maintaining speed, you are increasing it, constantly. If you are in sport mode, you could theoretically just take your foot off the gas and idle your way through traffic and get pretty much the same MPG as Eco mode. But the gaps always require more than idling from stop to stop and the mentality of driving in stressful traffic causes 99% of drivers to try to stay as close to the car in front of them in order to prevent undesired cutoffs (which are always lurking, everywhere, all the time). So in this type of traffic, Eco requires you to gun it to like 70% throttle in order to maintain your gap. Which is a waste of Eco. If you could legitimately use Eco to creep from stop to stop, you might see a benefit. Probably minor anyway because you are commuting in stop and go traffic, which is the worst for MPG.

The technology is there and it does what it says, but it's really just to maintain their EPA points and make for good marketing slicks. Strength, durability, and longevity are the goals for the consumer, and Nissan tries to balance and improve that as well. Less warranty repairs for them means more money in the long run. For the drivers, the vehicle is gonna give you whatever your drive style asks of it. Fancy drive modes are only there to provide options to match the driving style in order to get ultra-efficient synergy with the driver, netting an extra 5% MPG performance, but more importantly, making a vehicle that drives the way the owners makes them feel good.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Bargeld, thank you again, for another considerate post. You give us much to think about and try. I find it all interesting though hard to take in. Ignorance is bliss, as they say. I've led a charmed life with my Juke. Very contented. But now having used a half-life of the car, I've been inspired to do more.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Haven't found a clear idea about the practical, repeat practical, difference between the drive modes. Here are several things I've picked up:
1 Stop-n-go traffic is said better for normal drive than eco for the need of power (sometimes).
2 Sport drive only engages after 20mph.

With that said, I have only used eco the whole 8 or 9 yrs driving my car. In stop-n-go traffic, it has all the power or pep I need. On expressway trips 70-80mph it's been fine. I confess if I see a hottie on the street, I don't use Sport mode to do a wheelie or anything. Other than that, what would Sport mode be good for? Seems to me the drive modes have no real practical difference between cvt and at. For economical driving, cvt=at. But sport mode applies richer fuel (?) to effect quicker power response that would be with an automatic transmission? Seems the turbo does that quite well even in eco mode. So I am left with the idea that an AT with a turbo will have the same results as with a Juke cvt; and that there is nothing more for me to gain by having "drive modes." Am I missing something?
I've noticed that switching from Normal to Sport increases your RPM's by roughly 400-500 Rpm's which means that that engine will use more fuel. For long expressway trips,w/o stop & go, I use ECO. Around town, Normal unless I want to play around so to speak in which case I'll switch it to Sport to be more aggressive especially with 18 lbs. boost.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've noticed
Well said. I wonder how you can spy all your gauges while driving. :D Where I am, streets are narrower, speed limits lower, and gas expensive. So when I found Eco drive still with a zip, I kept it there. Lately because of this thread I've played around with drive modes also noticing those additional icons. Your item about RPMs is something to consider. About Eco on long trips, it would seem economical. Happen to see any figures compared with Normal mode? Given most Nissan cars have drive modes, there could be something.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I never settle on normal or eco. I use eco the most in stop and go traffic because it restrains my desire to gun it while creeping. I have also found eco extremely useful in snow. I have AWD and snow tires. The Juke grips like a tank, but eco checks my foot so I don't over accelerate and slide for no reason, very rare. It's like using low gear without the speed cap. My Juke has been quite simply a perfect union of power, handling, low mpg and bad weather champion. Really wish Nissan hadn't killed the line. They had me hooked for trade-ins and updates🙁.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Idiots, Nissan management are. You tell it as I feel and more. I appreciated the intel snow. Yeah what I found too. I marvel about the jewel in our possession.

·
Registered
31 Posts
kinda huge different for me on experiencing these 3 modes,
've only use eco mode less than 10 times in the pass half year with my juke...
most of the time using normal mode & recently fall in love with sport mode all the time :ROFLMAO:
fuel consumption got no diff for me on all 3 modes. probably i got bad driving habit hahha

driving in eco mode makes me feel d car is so heavy n slow in everything, steering response, throttle response..everything. its exactly the feels of driving my previous qa16de fully stock n16 sentra.
while normal mode, meets every daily needs and smoother control compare to sport mode

i still remember when i just got my juke, i was a bit tension to drive sport mode in daily busy city,
considering its quite a big jump for me from lightly moded b14 & stock n16 to a turbo f15,
the throttle is obviously much more sensitive compare to normal mode, i feel like not confident enough to control it in heavy traffic. until then, after a few months with it, im now fall in love with the fast & direct response in sport mode, even the steering response too. only change to normal mode when trapped in massive traffic jam.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts