Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Nissan Juke Nismo
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I ended up fulfilling my childhood dream and installed a hood scoop on my juke.
This is the one I used (no link just name) “Rugged Ridge 13307.01 Smoke Hood Scoop

you can get it on amazon.

So I measured out where the intake was (it’s offset to account for the intake) cut the hole.

Next I took the scoop and painted it with high temp red engine enamel. Then I went back and sanded the hood where I cut. Ironically the high temp gloss black wheel paint from autozone is an exact match to Nissans own black paint.
Who knew?
So sprayed the area I cut and mounted the scoop by drilling holes and screwing it down with high temp silicon
Besides it looking cool I also mounted a cross bar under the hood and it interfered with a part of my typhoon intake so. Double win. I get to live out my dream and the intake still gets cold air. Win win.

thanks for looking!

·
Registered
2014 Nissan Juke Nismo
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
btw i do have an air box im welding up to cover the air intake so it only takes air from the scoop.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Do I see a Nismo offroad sticker on your rear door? Lol would love to see some daylight photos of the scoop.

·
Registered
2014 Nissan Juke Nismo
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sure do. lmao Im actually going to probably pull it back off and spray it gloss black with that paint i was talking about and keep the red undertone underneath the scoop. idk. that's a tomorrow project when im finishing up the air box. ill post some pics then.

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
Good move on putting the scoop in a high pressure area. Too often people put "vents" in high pressure areas (which tends to make them actually intakes) and "intakes" in low pressure (tending to make them actually vents). The closer you can get to the junction between the hood and windshield the better for taking in high-pressure cold air.

Interested in seeing your air box design. Be sure to incorporate some kind of drainage system, as that intake will likely bring in a lot of water.

Reactions: Zam0Mar2013

·
Registered
2014 Nissan Juke Nismo
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
that was my goal. im more of a function over form guy. and yeah im going to experiment with some sheet metal tomorrow morning. ill post what i come up with for sure. and totally, drainage is totally on my mind for this.

·
Registered
2014 Nissan Juke Nismo
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
SO I HAVE DONE IT! I GIVE YOU

THE AIR ROMBUS

(it was supposed to be square, my bad)

so it works pretty well, tbh. Is it perfect? Absolutely not. Was it free? Yes. Not a direct seal but it works well enough to bring more air into the filter. And yes. It looks hella rough. But I am NOT a machinist. I still have some other stuff to work out but all in all here it is.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
I actually applaud this 👏

As long as it doesn't melt, I would bet it will keep intake temps cooler than without it.

That said, I wouldn't suggest making 20 of them and trying to organize a group buy! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2014 Nissan Juke Nismo
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I appreciate it. Lmao it is steel and aluminum riveted together. It’s what I had lying around so worked it together then wrapped it in red duct tape. Hasn’t melted yet! I’ll slap a temp probe in there to check it when I’m driving.

·
Super Moderator
10,995 Posts

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
@lne937s What do you think ?
I like the effort overall. A few thoughts, regarding optimizations:

There is a vortex created at the base of the windshield. Basically the relatively stalled, high pressure air at the base of the windshield interacts with the faster air flow going over it and starts spinning. It is kind of like how the air slaps you in the back of the head in a convertible, but with high pressure air, rather than low pressure air. It may seem counter-intuitive, and you would want to do some more measurements as it is placement-specific, but you might actually get more air with the opening facing the windshield. Think of the old cowl induction hoods.

In addition, the high pressure air at the center base of the windshield wants to go to low pressure, and will tend to do so by going toward the side of the vehicle. With the scoop facing a bit more toward the center, you will also likely get more flow.

The key to both of those potential optimizations is to measure. Magnehelic gauges and and wool tufts are your friends. A NASCAR-style hole might even do better than the current scoop- but you would have to test to find out.

However, the intake is placed in a high pressure zone, which is important. Optimized or not, it should be pulling in cooler air than a "short ram" intake under hood.

Regarding the airbox, plastic is less thermally conductive than metal and easy to work with. I would get some abs sheet. I love playing with duct tape, but it has its limitations

Reactions: MyNameIsLoop

·
Registered
2014 Nissan Juke Nismo
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I like the effort overall. A few thoughts, regarding optimizations:

There is a vortex created at the base of the windshield. Basically the relatively stalled, high pressure air at the base of the windshield interacts with the faster air flow going over it and starts spinning. It is kind of like how the air slaps you in the back of the head in a convertible, but with high pressure air, rather than low pressure air. It may seem counter-intuitive, and you would want to do some more measurements as it is placement-specific, but you might actually get more air with the opening facing the windshield. Think of the old cowl induction hoods.

In addition, the high pressure air at the center base of the windshield wants to go to low pressure, and will tend to do so by going toward the side of the vehicle. With the scoop facing a bit more toward the center, you will also likely get more flow.

The key to both of those potential optimizations is to measure. Magnehelic gauges and and wool tufts are your friends. A NASCAR-style hole might even do better than the current scoop- but you would have to test to find out.

However, the intake is placed in a high pressure zone, which is important. Optimized or not, it should be pulling in cooler air than a "short ram" intake under hood.

Regarding the airbox, plastic is less thermally conductive than metal and easy to work with. I would get some abs sheet. I love playing with duct tape, but it has its limitations
I appreciate this! And you are completely correct. I’m going to remake the air ROMBUS this weekend with high temp plastic with some better measurements. I did turn around the air scoop and besides it looking better (IMO) it does seem to bring in more air. With the new air ROMBUS I’ll incorporate the pipe coming in from under the fender as well. Like I said. Very much appreciate it!

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
Cool, glad to see it seems to be working. The other benefit of turning it around is that while you are having air from the high pressure area at the base of the windshield enter it, you are likely also blocking a lot of higher density material that may be getting kicked up by the vehicle in front of you like pebbles, tar, etc.

·
Registered
2014 Nissan Juke Nismo
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Looks nice. Any difference in engine temp?
not that im aware BUT i do see heat coming out of it when I'm stopped so I assume it has to be helping more then its hurting. lmao air flow is better though to filter though.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I think the hood scoop is really cool looking 😎 mine was a modded evo x scoop that I found in junk yard

·
Registered
1,334 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Nissan Juke Nismo
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OHHHHH I LIKE THAT. carbon fiber wrap that hood and you have winner on your hands. (y)

I actually made a few changes to it. (this is pre-wheel spacers.) also where did you get your canards and diffuser? (fins on front bumper) that thing looks meannn. :oops:

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Lol canards are stick ons from ebay and I made my splitter from .25 thick hpde sheet

1 - 20 of 21 Posts