Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received this email from an Indiana dealer who I was talking with about the pricing of the Juke:

"The pricing on the Juke will be very competitive when it comes out. There are already numerous reservations to just be able to get it at the MSRP which I believe for that model it'll be around $25.5k give or take a few hundred for accessories. The pre-launch of the Juke was a lot more successful than they thought and many of the ones coming out with the first batch are already accounted for and I don't believe there will be another shipment until late December. There is even talk between many of of the dealerships about applying a market adjustment to the first batch just do keep the demand down for such a limited supply."

Has anyone else heard the same thing?

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
no, but it makes sense to me. I'll probably wait (impatiently) until the second batch comes in so there is more selection and a better chance of a decent deal. Probably a Christmas (rather than a birthday--Oct.--) present.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Ouch!

I remember economics 101 with the whole supply/demand thing, so I guess it makes sense.

I don't think I could bring myself to purchase a vehicle for above MSRP though, unless I got more in trade-in for my car to compensate for it.

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Don't forget though that there might be dealer incentives we don't know about which could give us a break on price, such as manufacturer bonuses to the dealer for selling x number of cars. It's certainly a possibility on a car like this which is so unique and that many people will think weird or ugly.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I have never, ever, paid more than the list price for a car!

If I found that a price had been inflated, in my area, because of supply and demand, I would tell them to shove their car where the sun don´t shine!!

Forgive my Londoner´s outburst!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm not even going to think about it until at least March...and by then if they are still jacking up prices I'll just enjoy a car with no payments till the smoke clears.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Yes, the dealers always say this on brand new models...don't pay more than list and negotiate the price on the car first before ever talking about a trade. If they won't sell it to you for just under MSRP than I'd go elsewhere or wait. I'd like to see at least one in October for fun and maybe a test drive though I am not ready. Patience pays off...I have learned that!!

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
What are you referring to as the "list" price? There's the invoice price, and the MSRP (which is just a made-up number).

Some tips from carbuyingtips.com:
The road to saving cash on your car is paved not by chiseling off MSRP, it's by making an informed offer over dealer's cost based on the car's value. You must be patient and research first, don't rush to buy without a game plan. Ask to see the factory invoice for the car.

How To Read A Factory Invoice

The factory invoice lists the base model of the car, and all option packages, floor mats, body trims, etc. It also lists destination charge, holdback and dealer flooring assistance. But the dealer gets the holdback and floor plan back from the factory after they sell the car, so have them remove it. Destination charge is not refundable, we pay the dealer, the dealer pays the factory. . . . Don't believe the "invoice" the dealer tears off the printer it's no invoice. The invoice is a copy of the actual invoice with the car maker's logo on it and the dealer's address for delivery. Don't confuse the "invoice" with the white MSRP window sticker!

How much did the dealer really pay for that car?
This is a well guarded secret. They'll pull out the "factory invoice" and offer "$1 over invoice". They are not required to show you the invoice. There are hidden factory incentives built into this "invoice price" that reduce their cost. If they are quick to show you the invoice, you know they are making money, and can settle for even less. This info is your most powerful ammo in negotiating with the dealer. They'll convince you that you can afford the car at MSRP, diverting attention away from "is it worth this price". Do the same to them. Tell them how much profit they'll make with your offer. You've just turned the tables on them.
yes, it's more difficult to do this with a brand new model, but it's very worth a try. I'll probably look at the one on the lot, then use a car buying service, like from Consumer Reports.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just an observation but here in Manitoba we are getting screwed twofold. First the price for a fully loaded Juke is listed as around $29,800 and secondly if we decide to buy it in the US then the warranty won't be honoured in Canada.
This really sucks two times!!

·
Registered
122 Posts
I would highly recommend to you guys to wait if you can. That's just my advice to you. You'll thank me later.

·
Registered
72 Posts
zcrazi, kind of cryptic no?

Any reasons that you can share why we wouldn't want to buy the first round of them?

·
Registered
69 Posts
I meant to say MSRP. in regards to list price, sorry for the confusion.

What are you referring to as the "list" price? There's the invoice price, and the MSRP (which is just a made-up number).

Some tips from carbuyingtips.com:

yes, it's more difficult to do this with a brand new model, but it's very worth a try. I'll probably look at the one on the lot, then use a car buying service, like from Consumer Reports.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I ordered mine yesterday and they quoted me $25,800 for an AWD SL with the roof spoiler. That's a couple hundred above MSRP but my dealer also hinted that there may be some incentives coming.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hey my first post was about this exact topic. So yes, some dealerships are charging over MSRP. A dealership near me is doing it - they are charging MSRP + $2,000 "Introductory Model Fee"

Another is not - guess where I plan on purchasing from? I won't be buying until December or January so odds are there won't be those "fees" but I still won't be going to that dealership.

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Not uncommon, but definitely not a good practice. I believe VW showed where some dealers are adding on other additional fees for extra crap done at the dealer. My dealer told me to check another dealership near me, because they were notorious for adding scotchguard and other fees to the price (not an option) at exhorbitant prices.

Hey my first post was about this exact topic. So yes, some dealerships are charging over MSRP. A dealership near me is doing it - they are charging MSRP + $2,000 "Introductory Model Fee"

Another is not - guess where I plan on purchasing from? I won't be buying until December or January so odds are there won't be those "fees" but I still won't be going to that dealership.

·
Registered
248 Posts
"The pricing on the Juke will be very competitive when it comes out. There are already numerous reservations to just be able to get it at the MSRP which I believe for that model it'll be around $25.5k give or take a few hundred for accessories. The pre-launch of the Juke was a lot more successful than they thought and many of the ones coming out with the first batch are already accounted for and I don't believe there will be another shipment until late December. There is even talk between many of of the dealerships about applying a market adjustment to the first batch just do keep the demand down for such a limited supply."
Then this is what you write back:

Dear (dealer),
Thats a shame because I really had my heart set on this car but I've also been looking at a 2010 (competing model). I just got off the phone with (made up name) at (nearest competing dealer). They're going to offer me the (competing model) for $500 under MSRP + free oil changes and car washes for the first year since I've already got the financing taken care of through my bank. At this point I'm going to take their deal unless you can offer me the Juke for (name your price at or below MSRP). Thanks for your time.

Dealers aren't stupid, but they assume we are. This is an entry level vehicle, not a limited edition supercar. I can GUARANTEE that if you create a different persona and email them about a new sentra/maxima/rogue/etc..., they will write you back with that exact same exact same copy only with the model name changed to whatever you were inquiring about. It's a clear bid to get you down into the doors of the dealership and sign the papers now.

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
By the way, I have emailed Nissan 4 dealers (not the one that "ordered" my car), saying I'm interested in a Juke, want to buy before the end of the year, and to let me know if they have the specific car I'm looking for.

One canned response; no response from others. I'm surprised.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I was able to get mine at MSRP and the manager made it out to be this huge favor he was doing me. It probably had something to do with the fact that I knew his Omega watch was around $1800 MSRP, and asked him if he paid that much for it.

·
Registered
248 Posts
By the way, I have emailed Nissan 4 dealers (not the one that "ordered" my car), saying I'm interested in a Juke, want to buy before the end of the year, and to let me know if they have the specific car I'm looking for.

One canned response; no response from others. I'm surprised.
That does surprise me. 4 dealers on Nissans website within a 10 mile radius to me. All have at least one in stock. Increase to 75 miles and I get 11 dealers, some with as many as 4 in stock. I know this because Ive been checking for colors/trim combination for the past 2 weeks. They don't exactly seem to be flying off the shelves here.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts