Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! My 2013 Nissan Juke started making a whining noise during acceleration about 2-3 months ago. The sound got stronger, and I took it to the dealer to get tested. They said that there were no problems showing, although they did all hear the noise. But the car passed all the tests, and was driven by the mechanic, technician, and the guy who worked with me and coordinated the appointment. Other than the noise, they all said that there showed to be no problems (although, I've been bracing myself that this is probably a sign that eventually within the next year or two, the CVT may have problems and need to be fixed or replaced).

Now though, I get this whiff of what smells to me almost like a propane or natural gas. I know that doesn't make sense, but that's the closest description I can give to the smell. It seems to come into my cabin through the air vents just a little bit after the car has driven for a while and I've come to a slow-down or stop. Not an overwhelming smell, just a faint one. I have a bad suspicion that this might be transmission fluid burning. Has anyone else had problems like this before? Did you find out for sure what it was?

I'd hoped I can come up with an answer/guess to take with me before I take the car back to the dealer for another inspection.
Thank you in advance for any tips you guys may have!

·
Registered
684 Posts
Has the CVT fluid ever been replaced?

It's probably worn out and needs changing.

I'm also assuming they checked the fluid level and made sure it wasn't leaking?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Has the CVT fluid ever been replaced?

It's probably worn out and needs changing.

I'm also assuming they checked the fluid level and made sure it wasn't leaking?
Hi! Yes, I had a transmission fluid flush in November of 2019. The tech said I shouldn't need that for another 70,000 miles, but you never know.

I don't recall that they had any detections of fluid leaking. I think they did say it might have been a little low (I have to double check with them) but not anything like drastic levels of leaking. Or anything to indicate that it was leaking.

To be honest, I know that something is going to need to be fixed. I just reeeeeeeeaaaaallly hope that it's not gonna be having to replace the transmission. If I could get 6 months at least, then maybe I can get ready for it then. LOL

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
We recommend CVT fluid change every 30-35k miles as a general recommendation on the forums.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We recommend CVT fluid change every 30-35k miles as a general recommendation on the forums.
I just realized my typo, and I had an extra 0 in there. I meant to say 7,000, ha ha

But thank you, I think that is probably something I may have to look into. And I appreciate having that knowledge now (y)

·
Administrator
11,782 Posts
Always best to swap it out twice. It holds 9+ quarts but only drains out 5-6.

·
Administrator
11,782 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts