Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner
561 - 562 of 562 Posts

· Registered
2,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #561 · (Edited)
Finished porting the pump suction port on the pump case.

Before and after pics. Definitely had to disassemble the pump to do this as it was quite messy. Used a carbide burr instead of a grinding wheel to avoid aluminum oxide debri, better to have soft aluminum chips than hard aluminum oxide grit. Used tape to cover the big openings and packed the small holes/orifices with silicon gel to catch the chips. Gave it a heavy good blasting with brake cleaner and it's spotless now. Basically the pump internals were removed and put to the side while I ported only the aluminum pump case.

The aluminum pump case makes up only a small portion of the pump inlet, the pump manifold & pump cam sleeve are the other components. The suction port goes vertically into the black pump inlet manifold thru that round hole channel then splits into (2) ports that feed (2) inlet chambers in the pump cam case as the base. Fig.4 shows the pump intake manifold, it's nicely cast and splits the flow efficiently like an intake manifold on a car and has generous internal porting. That part there are no improvements to be made as it's well designed. Fig.5 shows how the manifold dumps the pump inlet flow along the top and into those thins slots between the cam ring and pump case to the bottom inlets. It sort of dumps into the top as well but the cam ring is bifurcating the flow. This area is somewhat shrouded and obstructed and could use improvement. Fig 6. shows the (2) inlets on the pump cam ring located at the base which feeds into the vane assembly. Jatco put these same inlet port openings on the topside as well on their newer pumps to reduce the pressure drop going into the pump so basically the pump is feeding from the top and bottom at the same time. Fig 8. shows the new Jatco pump design. We have the lower inlet notche feeds on the pump cam ring, the newer Jatco pump show inlet feeds on both the top and bottom as mentioned. Fig 7. shows the lower plate or side plate and this is the pump high pressure dual port outlet which feeds into the reduced exit orifice. As mentioned that orifice is restrictive but cannot be touched as it requires a delta P across to actuate the flow relief valve. Also, on the right hand view of Fig.8 shows the fancy side plate notches or strakes for the pump outlet ports for improved pressure rise and flow to the high pressure outlet. The Gen1 Juke have an older version of this side plate notch design but my pump is fairly new and has this exact side plate notch/strake design. Fig 9. shows the factory cam ring. It has a teflon type coating from the factory which is very slick and should reduce internal friction and lower horsepower to drive it. I was going to send the pump out to be coated but then I saw this and realized the factory had already thought of it, possibly a new feature on the updated pumps as well.

CVT oil pump modifications

Already mentioned, the pump suction port was heavily ported. The first inlet step is the filter o-ring radial bore, no touching that. The second inlet step was partially maintained to provide the filter stop but heavily cut back as it was introducing sharp corners to the flowpath. Otherwise everything was blend radiused to make the various turns into the interior vertical inlet port feeding the pump inlet manifold. In Fig.5 I'm pointing to the area of the pump cam ring that I want to modify. Fig 9. shows how I radiused the upper leading edge so the flow from the pump manifold dual exit will feed more efficiently down the sides like a funnel without tripping up the oil flow. That wall is non-pressurized and there are already notches at the base anyway but I won't completely notch it out, just chamfer it. That inlet feed notch design at the base is fairly sophisticated in terms of geometry as it necks down and is variable in cross sectional shape, not going to mess with that without a CNC machine shop modifying it for future pump modifications. These I will simply radius blend the upper leading edge so the flow can turn into the pump cam inlet without causing turbulence as I see no reason for having a sharp 90* bend. I'll have no time or resources to send it out for testing so this modifications are going to improve performance or they will do absolutely nothing because radiusing & chamfering is low risk and I have the time before I reassemble the CVT. The other stuff like notching the upper cam ring to make dual inlet feeds like the newer CVT8 pump would not be something I attempt as it's not worth the risk but a possibility if I need to in the future.

Fig. 1: Unported CVT pump

Material property Gas Auto part Composite material Metal

Fig. 2: Ported pump suction port w/step retained for filter stop

Camera lens Camera accessory Cameras & optics Lens Household hardware

Fig. 3: Inside porting of edges and transition into vertical port to interior

Revolver Trigger Camera lens Auto part Gas

Fig 4.: Pump upper inlet manifold

Wheel Bicycle part Rim Helmet Automotive wheel system

Fig 5.: Pump internals with inlet port feeding down to base of pump.

Locking hubs Rim Wheel Machine Vehicle brake

Fig 6: Pump internal bore sleeve with (2) inlets at the base.

Kitchen utensil Finger Gas Tool Metal

Fig 7.: Pump side plate, latest design outlet "notches" similar to CVT8 but from the JF011E

Rim Bicycle part Circle Audio equipment Automotive wheel system

Fig 8.: Pump cam ring w/sharp inlet corner. Teflon internal bore coated.

Automotive tire Finger Material property Thumb Wood

.Fig 9.: Pump cam ring with radiused corner for better inlet flow.

Automotive tire Rim Synthetic rubber Rectangle Auto part

Fig. 10: Advanced pump design from Jatco CVT8

Jaw Font Automotive tire Auto part Circle

Reactions: Ausjuk33

· Registered
2,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #562 · (Edited)
Went back in and made a couple of additional modifications to the pump cam ring.

The inlet manifold dumps flow on top of the cam ring on the inside of the bore and the outer port to feed the bottom as well. The upper cam ring has a sharp flat surface that the manifold dumps the oil on top of and this is a turbulent area for the oil. I chamfered the top of the cam ring so the oil flow into the upper and lower inlet ports wouldn't be as turbulent. Also radiused both edges of the bottom of the cam ring inlet port, little bit of a touch up in the inner edge to get the flow going smoothly. This'll help the pump cavitation though I'm not specifically looking for more flow.

So that is the CVT oil pump modified to incorporate some of the more updated oil pump modifications from Jatco and help improve performance.

Oil pump Modifications include:

1) Sonnax relief valve #33510-02 (Type III hard anodized)
2) Pump suction port flow modification (increased size/radiusing/flow streamlining)
3) Beveled cam ring inlet feed port (flow streamlining)
4) Radiused cam ring lower inlet port geometry (flow streamlining)
5) New Pump cover bolts (M6-1.00 x 10mm Class 10.9 high strength 150 ksi w/blue loctite, torqued to 15 N-m)

Rim Auto part Synthetic rubber Carbon Bicycle part

Automotive tire Audio equipment Automotive wheel system Rim Wood

Bicycle part Rim Machine Automotive wheel system Auto part

Automotive tire Vehicle brake Alloy wheel Automotive design Rim

561 - 562 of 562 Posts