Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I just got a 2013 nissan juke not too long ago. It has about 80k miles on it. I'm not sure if the previous owner ever did the cvt fluid flush. I've read that if you take too long and change the fluid, that you can run into problems with the transmission.I want to change the fluid to have a piece of mind.. But I just wanted to ask you guys about it. And see if y'all can give me some tips.

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
Here is how I would think about it... Do the drain and fill as soon as possible. Then do it again the next time you change the oil.

CVT fluid contains detergents, seal conditioners, etc. They are relatively mild and you want detergents to be mild so that chunks of deposits do not break off and clog the valve body. The longer you have not had a change, the slower you want them to work, so removing ~half with a drain and fill is more helpful than completely swapping it out. At 70k, it probably isn't so bad you need to worry too much. But because they take time to work, multiple successive changes will have clean fluid at one time, but it will degrade quickly over a few thousand miles. Doing a drain and fill with the next oil change will remove what was loosened up and dissolved by the added detergents from the last drain and fill. I would only do successive fluid changes if the fluid is clearly contaminated.

If you can turn a drain plug and measure the amount of liquid that comes out, a drain and fill is easy to do.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well, I wouldn't recommend it, but I went 175k miles without changing the fluid. At about 100k miles, the dealership said don't change it at this point, since it could lead to leaking issues. Just traded my 2011 in and got $5,300 for it...a lot more than I thought. The guy checking the car out did say that it felt like the transmission was slipping when he put it in reverse. Just sharing this one data point.

·
Super Moderator
10,536 Posts
Yeah never dont change the oil. Even if a dealers says dont do it. Too many miles....... It needs to be done no matter what.

I change my engine oil every 6 months regardless of mileage. I think my Juke has 500 miles on it. It will be saved for the lawn mowers etc.

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
It's completely insane to me that Nissan recommends people basically not change it. You should be doing a drain and fill yearly from the first year of ownership onwards. Maybe twice a year if you are a particularly spirited driver.

I really, really, REALLY would love to hear Nissan's explanation for basically saying that the CVT is a sealed unit with lifetime fluid because that is downright ******* stupid. The fluid is so vital to a CVT - fresh fluid has detergents that keep it clean but more importantly the rubber like compounds in it are what provide the grip that the belt needs to deliver the torque and those wear down over time causing slippage and varnishing of the belt and pulley components which induces stress that leads to breakages and failure.

Probably close to half if not more of all failed Jatco CVTs would have likely never failed if they had consistent fresh fluid. Nissan NS2 is good for 10k miles, maximum.

My guess is Nissan took the risk because they assumed that selling a car that needs transmission fluid changes at the same interval as oil changes would turn people off. Instead what happened is the poor reputation of the CVT reliability wise has turned people off.

·
Registered
414 Posts
First fluid flush 56k miles
Second 108k with AmsOil
Etuned (Pushed it hard)
About to do my second AmsOil flush
So far so good

·
Registered
130 Posts
I’ve put about 26,000km (83k total) on my juke since i purchased her, ive already done a drain and fill 4 times (Due for number 5) with AMSOIL cvt fluid.
I beat on her pretty good. I launch it all the time, and I’ve never had her go into limp mode on me even at track. (No cooler installed

Rather spend money on fluid than a new transmission.

Stock tune mind you.

·
Super Moderator
10,536 Posts
Oh report out on the Amsoil guys.

We need this info.

·
Registered
2014 Nissan Juke SV
26 Posts
Did my first BG flush and fill at 49,000, about to do 2nd at 79,000. As long as I maintain service every 30,000 miles I have a lifetime $5000 CVT warranty.

·
Super Moderator
10,536 Posts
Thats pretty good !!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts