Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently changed my CVT fluid in preparation for the summer. I have been performing drain-and-fill every year so far, and filter change x1 when I installed a Mishimoto heavy duty transmission cooler with fan and relay years ago. Only started to monitor the CVT temp recently. Not sure what normal temp range should be, but felt that the temp is still running high (up to 198F) cruising at 75-80mph with outside temp 75-77F after drain-and-fill x1, so I did another drain-and-fill plus filter change.

For Gen1, here are the parts. I ordered additional CVT cooler bolts in case it’s rounded during the removal/install. Remove battery, ECU/battery tray to access 3 of 4 cooler bolts. Remove front drive wheel and pull back fender liner to get to the last bolt.

Make sure to remove the filter O-ring too. New filter comes with O-ring. Filter should sit flush; otherwise, it’ll probably poke out quite abit making it hard to put the cooler back on.

On retrospect, not sure if I should have dipped the filter in CVT fluid prior to install like I do with engine oil, to keep the CVT from "running dry" during the first start... Anyone?

For the cooler O-ring, you can probably re-use it, but I suggest changing it out for good measure. I’ve re-used it last time and had leakage issue. It stopped leaking after tightening all the bolts as hard as I can, and fortunately I didn’t have to do everything all over again. Comparing the old and new O-ring, the old is somewhat flattened and the new bulge out somewhat against the housing surface. This is probably what caused the leak.

Visually, apart from being dark-colored, I don’t see any particles or metal shavings on the old filter. Took the car out on a drive and monitored the temp. Still, seeing 198F when accelerating (outside temp increased to 85F), but felt like the CVT temp drop slightly faster with the cooler fan on (3min vs 8min)? Probably insignificant. Not sure now if it’s worth it to change out the filter vs just drain-and-fill moving forward…

CVT50z listed the “OK” temp range to be 122-192F. But what’s actually OK? My experience has been on the upper range >185-196F cruising at 70mph under ambient temp so far, in the "HOT" territory...

· Registered
105 Posts
Get the Nissan OE pan gasket and strainer, clean the two donut magnets in the pan, that will be your biggest tell how healthy your CVT is. My refill was about 6.8 quarts of CVT fluid doing that and the bees nest filter.

Reactions: KinKin

· Administrator
13,290 Posts
Get the Nissan OE pan gasket and strainer, clean the two donut magnets in the pan, that will be your biggest tell how healthy your CVT is. My refill was about 6.8 quarts of CVT fluid doing that and the bees nest filter.
Nice info. Thanks

Reactions: Audigit

· Registered
76 Posts
Thanks for the great write-up with pics!

I'm just about to do this as well on my 2014 SL AWD GEN 1.

I have the same trans filter but my car's diagram doesn't show any seal for the trans cooler which is weird b/c it must have one.

World Font Map Urban design Circle

Should I just buy that cooler seal anyway (31526-1XMOA)?

Thanks

· Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the great write-up with pics!

I'm just about to do this as well on my 2014 SL AWD GEN 1.

I have the same trans filter but my car's diagram doesn't show any seal for the trans cooler which is weird b/c it must have one.

View attachment 192803

Should I just buy that cooler seal anyway (31526-1XMOA)?

Thanks
Yes you can buy that cooler seal. When I went to a local Nissan dealership they couldn't find the sealer in their diagrams. I mentioned I came across this forum and found the part number. I had them order it and it was the right one for my 2014 S AWD Gen 1.

· Administrator
13,290 Posts

· Administrator
13,290 Posts
Wait. That beehive doesnt have a filter.......

· Registered
76 Posts
Yes you can buy that cooler seal. When I went to a local Nissan dealership they couldn't find the sealer in their diagrams. I mentioned I came across this forum and found the part number. I had them order it and it was the right one for my 2014 S AWD Gen 1.
Great thx!

So do you remember if it was this same part number (31526-1XMOA) for your 2014 S AWD Gen 1?

Wait. That beehive doesnt have a filter.......
If I was to install an aftermarket trans cooler it probably would be the same one this OP installed, not some weird knockoff one with no filter (like you pointed out).

· Registered
2015 Nissan Nismo RS CVT (Pearl White)
230 Posts
Recently changed my CVT fluid in preparation for the summer. I have been performing drain-and-fill every year so far, and filter change x1 when I installed a Mishimoto heavy duty transmission cooler with fan and relay years ago. Only started to monitor the CVT temp recently. Not sure what normal temp range should be, but felt that the temp is still running high (up to 198F) cruising at 75-80mph with outside temp 75-77F after drain-and-fill x1, so I did another drain-and-fill plus filter change.

For Gen1, here are the parts. I ordered additional CVT cooler bolts in case it’s rounded during the removal/install. Remove battery, ECU/battery tray to access 3 of 4 cooler bolts. Remove front drive wheel and pull back fender liner to get to the last bolt.

Didn't want to start a new post. But do you remember how much CVT oil you put back after you changed the filter?

I've been changing the CVT oil every 15k miles since I bought this car when it have around 7k-8k miles. (45k now)

Or do you think I should wait longer before changing the filter?

If I do it, I might just let the dealer change the filter.

· Administrator
13,290 Posts
Didn't want to start a new post. But do you remember how much CVT oil you put back after you changed the filter?

I've been changing the CVT oil every 15k miles since I bought this car when it have around 7k-8k miles. (45k now)

Or do you think I should wait longer before changing the filter?

If I do it, I might just let the dealer change the filter.
Just a filter change or filter with fluid swap ?

· Administrator
13,290 Posts
Depends on how many miles it has now. That stuff aint cheap. I would do the filter only unless you are at 15-20k. When you look at the beehive. It looks like 2/3 of a Red Cup. Just eyeball it. Drive it around. Work the air out then check the level.

· Registered
2015 Nissan Nismo RS CVT (Pearl White)
230 Posts
Depends on how many miles it has now. That stuff aint cheap. I would do the filter only unless you are at 15-20k. When you look at the beehive. It looks like 2/3 of a Red Cup. Just eyeball it. Drive it around. Work the air out then check the level.

Right now the car have around 47k miles on it, I bought the car when it have only 7k-8k miles on it. And since then I have the CVT service (drain-and-fill) every 15k miles by the dealer.

I don't drive hard at all and rarely hit pass 5k rpm....... :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'll call the dealer and see how much it cost to do the filter only.

· Administrator
13,290 Posts
There ya go however they will prolly say there isn't a filter. LOL

1 - 15 of 15 Posts