Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
If anyone was wondering if the 2nd gen fixed the CVT problems the answer is no. Faithfully changed the fluid every 20,000 miles and mine still failed. Invoice attached:
Cvts will always have their issues. Just like every other style of transmission. Automatics eventually fail. Manuals eventually fail. Some last forever. Some die under warranty. So is the way of the automobile. From my experience at nissan, the gen2 cvts are LESS prone to issues. Not impervious to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,239 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about your CVT, but it looks like your warranty covered it? That's a huge plus.

I'm honestly pretty impressed that in 4 years this car has been on the road I don't think I've come across another Gen 2 with a fried CVT. Always assumed it would be mine lol. Lurking around on the older posts when I first got my car I saw fat more V1s spring CVT issues at lower mileage, so I suspect there were some improvements made.

·
Super Moderator
10,139 Posts
When you look at the inside of ANY Transmission. Its amazing they last at all.

The Juke CVT is certainly the most reliable CVT Nissan seems to make. Seems.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Was you’re Juke tuned? Seems that most of the issues on the forum with gen1 cvt have been tuned.
Bone stock, Nissan told me to pound sand when it came to some kind of reimbursement given it failed within 1,000 miles or so of the previous CVT fluid change.

Confirmed my Security+ is up to 100k miles, going to unload it right before.

This Juke was a replacement for a TitanXD repurchased under lemon law. Not impressed and definitely never buying another Nissan. Figured the truck was a one off but this makes it a trend.

In addition to the CVT that failed I had to replace the driver door skin because because it ripped open from a bad spot weld in addition to the driver seat when the leather started to flake off and a failed O2 sensor

·
Super Moderator
10,139 Posts
CVT wan not covered under the Security+ plan?

·
Registered
207 Posts
I truly cant figure out why a class action lawsuit has not been filed regarding CVT failures. My Toyota dealer has a Nissan dealer that they own next door. I was talking to the GM and he said a few weeks ago they had 25 cars lined up for CVT replacement for the week. They are not failing due to any mods anyone is doing to the Juke. Its happening in Altimas, Rouges, Maximas, etc. They are all having failures. Nissan placed their bets and tooled up a really bad transmission and are not willing to fix their mistake.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Because they aren't widespread enough to warrant a class action suit. Class action suits are for when it is more financially beneficial for multiple members to claim damages from a negligent party and the outcome will be a fairly obvious win. So there are probably not enough members for a class suit and also it's not a clear cut win.

It's the middle of summer and people are traveling, vacationing, etc. Most vehicle owners ignore their factory recommended services, especially CVT fluid changes because they cost upwards of $200. People are used to old school sealed transmissions of the past that rarely required any service in the time that a single owner has them. Failures in those cases are not necessary the fault of Nissan.

Look at the view counts on some of our threads and consider how many Juke owners are members of this forum. When you consider you can count the total amount of CVT failures across ALL jukes (regardless for gen 1 or 2) on the forum on both hands vs the total amount of members, you end up with a tiny percentage of CVT failure. I understand you had a bad experience with your CVT/juke as well and I sympathize, but for your one bad CVT are literally thousands of other CVTs without problems.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Its simple calculus (insert thanos meme here). If There where 20,000+ juke cvt models sold in 2012 (making this figure up for my example, i know it was WAY more than that), and 500 have had cvt failures, thats only .00025% failure rate. I was the big job guy at the dealership i worked at. So engine jobs and cvt jobs i volunteered for them (because i hate myself). For every 1,000 nissans that came through our doors, MAYBE one was a cvt replacement. Now look at toyota for example. The frame rot issues they had on their pick up trucks. Literally 1 out of 5 was rotted and weakened, and at that point the govt just started to make a stink about it. Toyota did the recall because it would be cheaper to do a recall than deal with warranty frame replacements one at a time (the math makes sense if you know how parts distribution and labor is worked out in the dealership). So. Until nissan/toyota/honda/ect have a 40-50% failure rate, they will just replace the cvt under warranty, write it off to their warranty insurance and taxes, and live on. Really if the cvt is properly DRIVEN and maintained, they will last just as long as your normal automatic transmission. I got 145k out of my first juke with no cvt issues at all. Then i traded it in. Thing is still probably going strong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
The Juke CVT are not failing in bunches. Those that are modded.........they'll fail eventually. The Gen2 seem to not be failing as much as the Gen1. Maintenance, driving method, and design all factor.

In terms of frequent oil changes, might not matter. If the trans pan isn't dropped and the magnets cleaned of metal shavings, then that can build up in the trans. If the (2) internal filters aren't replaced then you get reduced oil flow thru the system or even the oil cooling circuit, then things start overheating.

I don't see a class action happening for a Juke, no way. If maintained properly on a stock vehicle they should last the 100k miles.

·
Registered
129 Posts
The Juke CVT are not failing in bunches. Those that are modded.........they'll fail eventually. The Gen2 seem to not be failing as much as the Gen1. Maintenance, driving method, and design all factor.

In terms of frequent oil changes, might not matter. If the trans pan isn't dropped and the magnets cleaned of metal shavings, then that can build up in the trans. If the (2) internal filters aren't replaced then you get reduced oil flow thru the system or even the oil cooling circuit, then things start overheating.

I don't see a class action happening for a Juke, no way. If maintained properly on a stock vehicle they should last the 100k miles.
I just got notification by mail that there is now a class action lawsuit.

·
Super Moderator
10,139 Posts
Warranty extended and you might get some compensation for prior repairs.

·
Premium Member
2,239 Posts
There's a class action for the Jatco used in the V2? I shpuld go read that article someone posted earlier...

·
Registered
359 Posts
It's for 13 and up Jukes with cvt. I'll be honest with you. I see a 6 speed manual swap in your future. Lol

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
129 Posts
I asked a tech who used to work at Nissan if he saw many replacements for CVT's and he said yes, starting around 50K miles. He Nissan cvt's have inadequate cooling systems and failure was almost always due to overheating (and not changing fluid) when people do a lot of extended highway driving. He strongly recommended getting an external cooler and said that 'should' prevent the problem. Said to have Nissan install theirs and would cost around $600-$800. Much less expensive than over $4K for a new CVT.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
A class action lawsuit is just that.......a lawsuit. I probably should have said, "No way there will be a recall". I got into an accident a couple years back and got flooded with requests for a lawsuit against the other driver........lawyers like to sue because that's what they do.

A class action lawsuit might be 5 owners, or 500 owners. On a 100,000 production run of CVT vehicles, well 500 units is 0.5% failure. Not exactly 6-sigma but why warranties exist to begin with. Somehow, their warranties didn't cover the failures which is maybe why the lawsuit got filed, not sure. How many of those owners drive like complete hooligans or brake torque launch at every light? The guys who did have failures on THIS forum........yeah I could definitely see why their transmissions failed. Average user failing a CVT, probably a statistically low number.

A factory mandated recall is another matter. I don't see that ever happening, mainly because the cost to Nissan would be fairly high.........thus they end up fighting it in a class action and weigh the costs of some type of settlement against a mandatory recall on all units affected in the production run.

Without the actual metrics behind how many vehicles are affected, their maintenance schedules, driving habits, etc. is published, it's hard to say.

·
Super Moderator
10,139 Posts
We have had more than a few Nissan master techs in here and they claim the Juke CVT is Far more reliable than every other Nissan CVT. The one that is bad is the Rogue. Dont see a lawsuit there.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I did TONS of research on the CVT failures of the Maxima and Altimas. I like to be informed, mostly because I was doing research on my own CVT modification to see what the factory did to improve things. Now regarding the Maxima/Altima, there is an entire TSB on how to inspect the CVT from TCM trouble code to using a boroscopic camera to remotely inspect the CVT belt, to swapping out the valvebody control. The problem was systemic enough that Nissan even offer the entire pulley endcase replacement for these Altima/Maxima. They aren't doing this for nothing......you bet they had problems. The Maxima however is a HEAVY a** vehicle with 254-265 lb-ft stock. In model years 2007-2012 the RE0F9A/B or JF010E. In some places, a beefy transmission design, in others, it was weak. The 2007-2013 Altima 2.5L were rocking the early JF011E or RE010A, the grandfather of our transmission actually. This was VERY similar to our Juke transmission EXCEPT had the older Bosch F6 style belt that liked to routinely snap and the bad sealed bearings that liked to overheat and seize up. We have the newer JF011E or RE0F10B, the later +2015 Juke the JF015 or RE0F10D or E if I recall. The newer Maxima then just got crazy serious and went chain drive on the JF018E or RE0F10H to handle the higher torque and higher weight. The 2007-2012 were problematic years for these cars. The Rogue from 2009-2012/2013 still rocked the enormously crappy JF011E and it weighed 3400-3600 lbs. So the Rogue which I hear mentioned alot, was rocking a transmission never meant for it's weight class. The thing is as heavy as an M1A1 tank...lol. Then they got more serious and upgraded to the JF016E starting in 2014.

I'm saying basically, you have to understand the years of the models and also their power/weight class and the transmission generation as well to have the bigger picture. Anything 2007-2012 for those heavy a** cars........yeah not good years for Jatco/Bosch/Nissan. This is when Nissan started offering I think 120k coverage on those vehicles. Then I looked at the Juke, it was actually exempted from this......which there was a very good reason for. Nissan have always had trouble with the Maxima CVT. It being a performance car, high torque, high weight. Every CVT they design is pushed to the limit keeping up with that car. I've read the Nissan engineers technical papers, it's because of the heavier Murano and Maxima that the CVT is under continuous development to keep up with the weight and power/torque increases. The earlier Rogue was a pig of a car rocking an economy car sized transmission. Hopefully this is making sense.

The Juke puts down 177 lb-ft of torque, weighs next to nothing with 2900-3200 lbs max. Arguably has the (2) most important fixes that addressed the majority of the warranty claims that plagued the earlier generation JF011E (RE010A) in the Altima/Jeep/Mitsu. Post 2012-2013 NIssan got their confidence back and the warranty coverage mileage/period drop back down again, still talking about the Maxima/Altima here. The JF011E was getting long in the tooth for the Juke, and the 2015 Juke received some massive mechanical changes and with it, a new JF015 CVT that could get better fuel economy. Follow me on this, the new design Juke CVT was NOT primarily designed for higher torque, but better fuel economy. They did upgrade the valvebody to make it more simple and reliable, along with a stronger pulley slider bearing design, and a variable oil pump to reduce pumping/windage losses or something like that, lower oil fluid capacity as well, immediate torque converter lockup, and so on. Mainly it was to improve the CVT efficiency and get better fuel economy though, with some nice improvements for driveability too. If any model year was more reliable, definitely it's the +2015 I'd reckon.

From all of the warranty claim forums/boards I found maybe (12) Jukes that had transmission failures. On this forum, I think 6-7 failures were from owners who modded their vehicles, mine included, and maybe another 3-4 that were just stock daily drivers. I don't keep track of them all because statistically it could be hundreds and it would still be acceptable from a manufacturers point of view.

I'm sorry for those who had transmission failures, but let's keep things in perspective.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts