Nissan Juke : Juke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got the install done and the best position was fittings down. Will this work, or trap air I wonder? How much pressure is involved to force fluid through from the beehive cooler hoses?

·
Super Moderator
9,497 Posts
You should be fine. The air will get worked out in the system.

PSI ?

I forget what Egg said. I know its more than your radiator ;)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What PSI? Here's my temp after short ride towing trailer in 82 degree outside temps. OUCH.

The cooler is cool, one line is slightly warm and that corner of cooler is slightly warm, not hot just warm. The other line and most of the cooler is cold with it idling in the yard and CVT at 114c still.

I wonder if the flow is crap with this ebay beehive are they all the same? At LEAST the bottom and both lines should be HOT if the fluid was flowing.

I can say the CVT is 1 qt low according to my friend who installed this. (that quart of NS2 is coming tomorrow)
Could that affect beehive flow out the extra ports?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,497 Posts
I am not sure but Low is not good with these.

I assume you changed the filter.

·
Premium Member
2,139 Posts
Dude 120*C is pretty darn high. I never broke 115*C while racing in the summer with no cooler. Just one guy's opinion but I'd suggest grounding the Juke until you can verify correct fluid levels tomorrow. My guess would be that the low fluid could be why you aren't seeing apparent flow in the cooler yet, and certainly could be why you're running so warm.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, mine is a 2011 with dip stick, how do i check, idling? No I didnt change the filter. I can say though that the fluid looked very clear and like new, but maybe that doesnt tell us anything about if the fluid has broke down?

·
Super Moderator
9,497 Posts
The filter is in the Beehive.

The Fluid should not be clear?

The Fluid needs to be warm so idle the car for a little bit to warm it up. Remove what you have to and check the dip stick then add. You will need prolly a quart more since you added the cooler and lines.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also, I did not see any filter in the Beehive it looked like a single solitary unit, didn't come apart in any way so are you saying maybe that's a filter is under the beehive accessible after you take off the beehive?

I'll get all this eventually! :cool:

·
Super Moderator
9,497 Posts
Check while idling and fully warmed up.

Search the forums here as there is lots of info and its gonna be more accurate than me.

I dont know if you upgraded your Beehive.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just a little update, still waiting for my NS2 to show up (tomorrow) but today more of the cooler was feeling hot and I THOUGHT "all set, maybe". Not. CVT reached 98c in light driving.

Anyway, will try to top up the fluid and see if it being a little low may be the issue (prob not i would think), then we are going to rotate the cooler sideways with the inflow at the bottom, so it will let any air out.

As to the filter, I will start a sep thread.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay we flipped over the big oil cooler today topped off the CVT and took it for a test drive and it's still running hot, 109c.

W.T.F.

When we took the cooler off we started it up briefly and both lines were pushing fluid, one more forcefully than the other so it just looks like the Beehive is under pressure generally.

The other thing we noticed is that there is two holes for oil flow where the beehive Mates to the CVT and there are no Provisions for O-rings there so obviously one of the flow can bleed across to the other one which I think is a bad design.

One pipe going into the cooler is hot and the other one is cold and cooler for the most part is cold.

So the bottom line here is that this piece of crap is not flowing much through the cooler.

I'm starting to wonder if the few posts I've read about low temperatures after installing one of these "miracle" coolers is really accurate because the situation is simple enough that this either should work or it should not.

If I can't get this CVT to run cool without Towing then I certainly can't really do much Towing in the Juke is not worth very much to me then I'm probably just going to get rid of it and get a real car.

Not to sound so negative but I've just about had it with this POS

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Change it for a real car! Lol juke is a toy.

·
Super Moderator
1,495 Posts
If I can't get this CVT to run cool without Towing then I certainly can't really do much Towing in the Juke
The Juke was never designed to tow. In fact I've heard certain warranty repairs being denied because of even the presence of a tow hitch. The owner's manual states on page 9-15 of the 2013 model "Do not tow a trailer with your vehicle".

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok 109c temps in light driving with 72 degree outside temps. The cooler DOES get hot from inlet side to cooler on outlet side. I think it is becoming painfully obvious that this 2011 CVT is flowing oil BUT not flowing enough oil to the cooler to make any meaningful difference in CVT temps. The question is why????

It's a Hayden Automotive 677 Rapid-Cool Plate and Fin Transmission Cooler. Probably 1/4" lines (equal to the beehive barbs).

My mechanic buddy questioned the lack of o run around the feed port. Since the large o-ring doesnt let the beehive sit flat, the feed port hole almost certainly leaks fluid back into the filter pocket.

I wonder if using a plate adapter that eliminates the beehive would help? not good in winter though as the beehive also warms the cvt oil.

Oh and as to the "dont tow" I see that as total nonsense since almost every american car has that in there even though many of the same exact cars have tow ratings when sold in europe. I could load my juke with passengers, luggage and roof rack kayaks and load the cvt far more than any light trailer ever would.

·
Super Moderator
9,497 Posts
The only thing I have read about the plate adapter is it can leak. BUT it is a better flow design by far.

I would go with plate as see what happens.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The only thing I have read about the plate adapter is it can leak. BUT it is a better flow design by far.

I would go with plate as see what happens.

Thanks macgyver... how does that flow then, through the front fin cooler then through the beehive (getting rewarmed in the process?) can u post a link to an adapter plate thats got this better flow? anything about line size?

I'm having no luck here just frustrations... :unsure:

as far as it leaking there's always a little rtv... we used some on the beehive o ring as added protection because we noticed the long corner was bend down from tightening. no leak.

·
Super Moderator
9,497 Posts
This is the only thing I found.

Read this thread. Especially what Spiritmolocule says on page two.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts